My job as a human being

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Lets pretend they reinstate the draft for some war we have with Mexico. My son gets his notice. He doesn't want to go due to whatever reason.
    In your opinion, is it my job as an American to make him go or is it my job as an Mom to help him get to Canada?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Depends on your priorities.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

...LOL!! Your job??? ...LOL!

Geez, now we know how some women view families and children!! ...LOL!

Okay, now for the more serious side of it all. If your son doesn't want to fight in the war, he can enlist as a non-combatant ...medic, cook, quartermaster, mechanic, etc. He doesn't have to fight if he doesn't want to.

Now, if he's just an asshole and a fuckin' jerk-ass liberal, and has some bullshit psycho-babble "reason" for not even helping his country in any way, then he can stand up to the plate and be responsible for his convictions. Running away is a sure sign that his convictions aren't worth fighting for. So .......what did you teach him about that???

Baron Max

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

A conviction is something you believe in... isn't it?

Or do you mean punishment?

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Hahahahahaha

So, notwithstanding the fact that your 'country' is going to war with money stolen from the public (aka taxes), we should feel obligated to re-enact the horrors of war for moral reasons?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't even know where to begin with such nonsense.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think of the Moms who have sons that are suicide bombers. Maybe not all of them know what their sons are doing, but some do. Are they good citizens to their countries or are they bad mothers?

10. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

It depends, if you love your country more than your own son, then get him to go to war.

11. MrManganese Registered Member

Standing up for your convictions is one thing. Getting yourself thrown in prison because you're one of the few crazy enough to just speak out instead of act out (because dodging the draft is in fact a form of protest), is another entirely. I'd say to the original poster that it all depends on the "whatever reason" you mentioned. If Mexico starts commiting genocide and your son wants to dodge the draft because he's afraid to fight, I think it's generally agreed that you should side with your country. If the only news is that Mexico just discovered a rich oil deposit and its president somehow finds his way onto the CIA's list of known terrorists the next day, different story. I'd even go so far as to say it's all in how you personally judge the political intention. One could say that we arrived at the present situation in Iraq by the execution of a hidden political agenda, but by poor planning and regard for what fallout can ensue from disbanding another country's army and dismantling its government. Could everybody have recognized that from the beginning? Clearly not. But some people would, and I wouldn't condemn those for dodging a draft, given the circumstances.

12. desi Valued Senior Member

I don't know. I wouldn't want my children to go fight now. If they were of age and got drafted I'd raise hell.

13. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Getting drafted. It sounds so 20th century, huh? Oh. Wait a minute... we're still in it!

14. Dark520 Rebuilt Registered Senior Member

I hope your kidding, not saying that seriously...

Anyway, no, it's not your job to make sure he goes to war. It is, however, his job to go to war. He got drafted by the country that he's been living in for the last (at least and probably more) 18 years, and he owes it to his country. I wouldn't be able to stand people who do that. By doing that, they just show that they are dishonorable pussies, that, in my opinion, don't deserve to live. If they can't recognize what their country has done for them, and realize that they owe it to their country, I don't want them here. They can move to Switzerland if they don't want war.

No, it's not your job, but it is his job.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'd save my son. If he wanted to go, fine. If he didn't, I would do everything I could to see that he was kept safe. Even if that meant moving to another country.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It is your job as a human being to put an end to war. It is your job as a human being to not permit your son to be used as a tool of war.

Take a critical look at the most "noble" wars in history.

The American Civil War? Merely an expression of Lincoln's criminal hubris. He wanted to go down in history as the man who "saved" the Union and he didn't care how badly he violated the Constitution to do it. It wasn't even about freeing the slaves, since Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri were still slave states. He threw that in as a desperate measure when it looked like the Union was going to lose and he wanted to regain the support of skeptical Northerners. Being the only major country in the Western Hemisphere that freed its slaves through warfare instead of by economic common sense a generation later left us with a North-South and Black-White enmity that is still intractable 140 years later. Notice how Brazilians and Cubans all come in various shades of brown. The bloodiest war since Genghis Khan, Lincoln's role model--a full three percent of our population was killed for an ignoble cause.

World War II? Virtually no one in America knew about the Holocaust so it's a red herring to say it was about saving the Jews--a group few of the European combatant nations had given a damn about throughout their entire history and gleefully exiled them to Israel as soon as they had the chance. We fought that war to rid the world of two evil tyrants, Hitler and Tojo. In order to do so, we had to make some unholy alliances. Our new buddies, Stalin and Mao, ended up being tyrants who were arguably far worse. And the creation of Israel on top of somebody else's country set the stage for another round of warfare in the Middle East. By many measures the bloodiest war in history, one to three percent of the population of the whole planet, depending on how you count indirect victims, was killed--just to establish the reference point for the Who to sing, "Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss."

Both you and your son have a duty to prevent more of these senseless deaths over causes that the irony of history sneers at.

17. MrManganese Registered Member

What a surprise, that someone as pro-war as you would also presume to deal out judgements of who deserves to live and who doesn't, for whatever reason. I refrain from judgment in most cases, but exceptions need to be made for your kind. You're obviously a danger to society.

18. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Whatever you feel is best, but do us all a favor; if your son does join, and gets deployed and killed (regardless of the reason), please, for the love of all that is good, please don't go all Cindy Sheehan on us. I think it's a toss up between her and the Dixie Chicks for the two biggest non-governmental embarrassments to this country.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No, the Dixie Chicks and Cindy Sheehan give us all hope that there are sensible people left in this increasingly religious country. I'm proud of them.

A lot of people buy the party line as they grow up because government propagandists are good at what they do and they don't have cause to give it all much thought. It isn't until their own child winds up dead in a futile attempt to satisfy the hubris of a treasonous Saudi-loving pendejo that they see the error of their--and our--ways.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, too much military pride in my family. My brothers would kick my ever-livin butt if I protested. As it is, I think my Mom would be the only one who would understand if we moved to Canada. She already told my son he's only allowed to join the Coast Guard.

I can't protest what I originally supported. I don't agree now but what are we supposed to do. Just leave??

21. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Not at all; I was being very serious. To be obliged to fight is not a job. But only a reminder of what the State really thinks of you: expendable, a commodity, a bar code. Being "human" is, as far as the State is concerned, a nuisance, to say the least.

22. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

The fact that military action requires a government to force citizens to enlist in a war effort..."or else"...speaks volumes in and of itself.

23. pinkiss Registered Senior Member

if the war would start they should send two women instead a one man

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And speaking seriously why should anyone go to fight someones war,knowing that those who start the war or command are sitting in their fcking homes and wanking while youre risking your life because of some mtherfucker who doesnt care if you will die or survive.