British police unfair

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by fishtail, Jul 4, 2007.

1. fishtail Registered Senior Member

Several people not born in the UK, have been let off with traffic offences
    because (they say) they pretend not to understand the policeman, it
    seems the police just can not be bothered and just let them off.
    This is from the horses mouth not third hand tittle tattle, the offences include, no tax ,speeding, bald tyre, i think this is very unfair, any native
    would have been fined and had point on the licence, even now one has
    still not replaced the tyre, and one has a tax disc three months out of date.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Whats to understand? If they have the license plate number they can just send the driver the fine.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

some 5O are corrupt, just some more than others. blloming dirty babylon

i got stopped in mauritius and made out i coudl not understand the police man so he let me go, happens everywhere

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

sometimes i actualy pretend to not understand english and start saying, que, que?

it 99% of the time works and the police just wave me away.

peace.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm a notorious jaywalker, and I do this all the time. Works anywhere, practically

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

in the UK police dont give a fuck about jaywalking. the police jaywalk all the time anyway.

peace.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh hell, not here.

The Nebraska State Patrol stopped a truck driver who only speaks Russian, and told him he can go no further until he learns the language, Omaha TV station KETV reported.

"Sir, I need your papers. I need your papers. All of your papers. Log book, registration, yes," a trooper said during a truck safety stop operation near Greenwood.

The trucker had all his documents in order and a valid commercial driver's license, but he couldn't communicate with state troopers. Under the law, troopers were forced to make the driver park his truck and take him out of service.

11. fishtail Registered Senior Member

Either it takes along time (three months in bald tyre case) or they have been let off, in no way should a driver be allowed to continue with a defective vehicle, i have told the guy several times it is very dangerous and that he could loose control on the terrible wet roads we have here now, and cause an accident, he just laughs i am good driver???????

12. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Dicks. As long as he knows the rules of the road and hasn't done anything dangerous, why the hell can't he drive?

The British government bend over backwards for foreigners and I'm sure have translators for every language in use in the world (almost). If he didn't understand that side-swiping 20 cars on the motorway was wrong, then by all means, but just because he doesn't understand what the jumped up pricks are saying? Bullshit.

There isn't an awful lot you can do really.

You could try to scare the shit out of him, showing him videos of cars with bald tyres (tires, tyres?) in nasty crashes. You could find a pram in a skip or at the dump, then when he's got some speed up in the street push it in front of his car. He'll skid like a bastard (if it's wet), probably hit the pram and shit himself. He might swing for you once he realises what you did, but you'll be driving the point home to him.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

The cops don't make the laws, they only enforce them.

14. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

It's a shitty law then. Aren't the cops allowed to use discretion? Is that the word I'm looking for... hmm.

e.g.

Over here, a cop sees someone smoking a joint. Tut tut. Naughty naughty. The cop tells him to bin it and bugger off.

It depends on the severity of the crime, I guess, but not being able to speak English? How many Spanish speakers are given this ultimatum?

The guy is driving a truck, for christ's sake. As long as he knows how to drive it then it's great. They're taking away the guy's livelihood for no real reason.

If he commits a crime - arrest him, get a translator in.
    If he doesn't - let him get on with his life.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, sure, but when they do use their own discretion, we have threads just like this one ....where a cop used his discretion, and someone is screaming "Unfair!" and other such terms.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I think all people should be required to ride around with cops for a few weeks then they might have different perspective. Ditto for following a bunch of soldiers around on the battlefield ...their viewpoint just might take a wider, more tolerant approach to things.

Baron Max

16. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

What has the man done wrong?
    Why is he different to the (probably) millions of people in the US who can't speak English?

The poor guy's trying to do his job, which he's doing just fine by the sounds of it. The police pull him over for no apparent reason, get huffy that he can't communicate with them despite producing the correct paperwork and tell him he can't do his job.

To hell with the fact that you probably need your wages to eat, sir, you're not allowed to drive a truck if you can't speak English!

It's bullshit and you know it, Baron. Although you'll never admit it.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So now you want the cops to be the ones to determine legal and illegal? You don't want the congress and the courts to make the laws? ...you want cops to decide all that?

The law evidently is that to operate a truck in Nebraska, one must be able to speak English or to communicate properly (whatever that is). He couldn't, so the cop had no choice. Or do you want the cops to make the laws?

Baron Max

18. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I'd like to cops to use their discretion when dealing with silly laws.

If the Russian guy gave them the finger or made it clear he thought they were assholes, then yes, use the silly law to teach him a lesson, but I don't think that was the case here.

The man wasn't causing any problem. He was doing his job, which he is qualified for. They're forcing him to learn English if he wants to eat. It's not right.

Make him carry a phrasebook and ask him to learn some English for the future, sure, but take him off the road and potentially have him lose his job or home, no. It's bullshit.

19. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

phonetic,
    You have some mistaken ideas here. First, the trucker wasn't 'pulled over for no apparent reason'. He was checked, along with all other truckers, at a truck weight station as part of a yearly inspection routine that lasts for three days each year. The law that was enforced was a Federal law geared toward safety in the commercial trucking industry. It wasn't so much that the driver couldn't speak English as the fact that he couldn't read English, such as road signs, warning signs, detour signs, signs that place restrictions on large trucks, etc. He was driving an 80 ton commercial rig that could create a hazard for others on the highways and streets if he failed to follow instructions properly. I know how to drive a truck, but I would be very hesitant to drive a large 18-wheeler across Russia if I couldn't speak the language or read the road signs.

20. fishtail Registered Senior Member

What discretion are you talking about Baron? a cop can decide to allow one dangerous vehicle to pass through his fingers but book another?
    So may be any number of vehicles driven by (they pretend) non speaking English are allowed on the roads, that is just crazy.

21. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Alright.

You know this for a fact? They determined that he couldn't read the signs? How did they work that one out if they couldn't communicate with him verbally? Unless they had a translator with them, I don't see how they could have known he didn't understand the roadsigns. It's logical, but it isn't a certainty.

Very true. Assuming he understood the signs and wasn't causing any problems, isn't this treatment a little unfair?

I understand and I'd consider what problems could arise, too. The roadsigns wouldn't bother me so much as breaking down, though. They are fairly universal. A 10 minute check of the signs in your own language would be perfectly adequate to understand the ones that didn't make sense to you.

I see a man being taken out of work when he hasn't caused any problems.

Innocent until proven guilty, right?

I could round up some scruffy kids from a bad area, because one day they'll surely turn into criminals.

22. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

now this is because the british police are SHIT!! they have no idea how to do they're jobs properly and they are an evil nessecity

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Admittedly my assumptions of the current police force in the UK is they don't prevent crime, they don't detect crime in fact they don't do much of anything apart from attempt to deal with traffic offenses.

I think someone in charge some time ago just stopped hiring detectives and concentrated on a larger number of traffic wardens. Since all they know how to do is ticket for parking offenses and speeding offenses they can't do anything else that police are usually thought of being responsible for.