Dark Matter Nearby?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 3, 2007.

1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

If there is dark matter, why wouldn't it be nearby so we can take a sample of it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It's difficult to find considering it doesn't emit radiation that can easily be detected. The best that can be detected is the gravity of the object.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orcot Valued Senior Member

would this be positive gravity or negative gravity?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Gravity, or the carriers of the gravitational field, like the carriers of electromagnetic radiation, most likely don't have a charge.

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Dark matter doesn't interract with anything except gravity. That means there could be (scratch that: ARE) an uncountable number of dark matter particles streaming through you this very instant.

9. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

What's the difference between dark matter and a neutrino?

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Neutrinos interact with other particles. You can detect such interaction a few kilometers below the surface of the earth, if I remember correctly.

Don't ask me why. I have a vague memory about this stuff. I studied it several years ago.... :shrug:

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Any news on the hypothesis of miniscule dark matter all around us?

12. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

TruthSeeker:

As a refresher, neutrinos were first postulated by Wolfgang Pauli as existing in the nucleus of atoms, to account for beta radiation, which he termed a 'neutron'.

With the advent of the discovery of the particle we now call a neutron [which was not the souhgt-after neutrino, as it was way too massive] by Chadwick, Fermi coined the term 'neutrino' to give to the particle that accounts for beta radiation [required to preserve the laws of conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum].

Neutrinos are 'weakly interacting' via the weak force, and thus travel great distances through matter before interacting. Detectors are established deep in mines, etc. to shield against other cosmic particles, allowing for the detection of solar neutrinos without a lot of background noise.

The first discovery of neutrinos required a copious supply because they are weakly interacting. A large amount of radioactive material was too small of a source for neutrinos in order to detect them. They were instead first discovered in the 1950s, emanating from a nuclear reactor going full tilt.

FermiLab has ongoing experiments with neutrinos and their detection, if you want detailed information.

As to "dark matter", I have no further information. Thus far, it's anyone's guess so far as I can tell.