Tasty food tempts prisoners to stay in Indian jail

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lightgigantic, Jul 1, 2007.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

http://www.metimes.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20070621-060408-5683r

BANGALORE: The Parappana Agrahara prison in Bangalore is crowded with 4,700 inmates, more than twice its capacity, because small-time criminals are refusing to apply for bail, according to the Bangalore Mirror. Juvenile offenders are also overstating their age to qualify as adults and enter the facility, the newspaper added.

The reason is the healthy food served by ISKCON, or the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, a Hindu evangelist organization commonly known as the Hare Krishna movement, said the paper, whose reporters visited the facility.

Lunch and dinner typically include piping hot rice, two vegetables and a spicy lentil dish called sambar, and buttermilk. A dessert is added on festival days and national holidays like Independence Day, and also once a week.

"When we are getting tasty, nutritious food three times a day here, why should we go out and commit crimes," said prisoner Raja Reddy, who has been arrested 20 times in 30 years for theft, robbery, and burglary.

"Our going out of the prison will only benefit pawnbrokers who purchase stolen items at a throwaway price from us, advocates who fleece us to fight our case, and the police who collect bribes," Reddy was quoted as saying.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think that tells us a lot more about conditions outside the prison than it does about the prison food!

Outside, it must be horrenously poverty-stricken conditions.

Bangalore? Is that in India?? (The website wouldn't open for me.)

Baron Max

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Now isn't that a notion? People who won't commit crimes because they are well fed?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I love the dahi wadas from ISKCON.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, geez, Sam, how could you turn something like that around and fuck it up so badly???

Where the hell is Bangalore?? Ain't that a city in India, Sam? And if so, what does that say about the conditions there outside the prison?

Baron Max

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Everyone in the world knows that there is a lot of poverty in India Baron. I think its nice that getting 3 meals a day is enough to keep them away from crime. Shows that they are only criminals from desperate circumstances.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Desperate circumstances? Ya' mean so desperate that they'd steal from others in their community, their own people, who were just as deperate as themselves?

Where's the Indian government, Sam? And why don't you condemn them as you continually condemn the USA for much lesser faults?

Baron Max

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Somehow I can't condemn people for trying to feed themselves.

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I sometimes dine at the Hare Krishna restaurant here in town. They have a vegy buffet with all kinds of fresh exotic things...and posters of tasty Indian goddesses from Hindu mythology!

12. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Prison food ought to be tasty and nutritious. After all there is bound to be some per centage of innocent people trapped in there.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sure, Sam, nice deflection of the question! ...LOL!

But do you condemn the Indian GOVERNMENT for not feeding those people? That's the question, Sam. You condemn the US government for any and all such issues, so .....do you condemn the Indian government for not feeding those people in Bangalore?

Baron Max

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

But they are feeding them. Who do you think arranges for food in prison?

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, must be an Indian law, huh? "To be fed, one must commit an imprisonable crime ....otherwise, fuck you, you don't get to eat!"

I think it also says something about the Indian people ...they'd rather go to prison so they can eat, rather than help their families provide food.

I think your attitude about it, Sam, is probably quite indicative of the wealthy people in India ...to allow the poor to starve while they enjoy luxuries for themselves.

Only in India, huh? If this thread were about American prisoners, you'd be condemning the USA with every fiber of your being, wouldn't you, Sam? ...LOL!

Baron Max

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Would you rather the government stop feeding them in prison so they went out to commit more crimes?

17. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Baron's point is that there is an incentive to BE in prison, and prison shouldn't be a luxury. These people aren't contributing to society while they're in prison, they're taking advantage of charity, and causing a strain on society.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The way I see it, when they are in prison, they are learning work skills, not reproducing and not commiting crime. Outside they will be induced into crime, slavery and prostitution. Its only an incentive if there is no alternative available. Prison systems in India are not like the US, there is no TV, or bed; prisons are overcrowded and the class system is prevalent in many prisons. Plus few prisons have access to anything more than just basic amenities.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So, it's just as I've been saying all along, ....living in India is worse than living in a fuckin' prison! ...unless, of course, you're a wealthy Indian!

Wow, Sam, you're telling us that life in India is worse than a prison ....then worse, you're telling us that Indian prisons are worse than American prisons!

Thank you, Sam, for finally coming clean about the problems and horrors that is India.

Baron Max

20. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

21. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Well this is proof that some people love security and a handout more than they do their freedom. We have similar systems in the west - it's called welfare.