New Study Says Diversity Not So Good

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sandy, Jun 27, 2007.

1. sandy Banned Banned

Harvard political scientist, Robert Putnam, did a study about immigration and ethnic diversity.The results are shocking and not what he expected. It's damaging to the pro-illegal immigration debate. That could explain why it just came out today.

Putnam's study says immigration and diversity not only reduce social capital between ethnic groups, but also within the groups themselves. They don't assimilate. They don't embrace each other.

The more diverse the neighborhood, the less residents trust neighbors. People in diverse communities tend "to withdraw even from close friends, to expect the worst from their community and its leaders, to volunteer less, give less to charity and work on community projects less often, to register to vote less, to agitate for social reform more, but have less faith that they can actually make a difference, and to huddle unhappily in front of the television."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The more people are brought into contact with another race or culture, the more they stick to their own, and the less they trust others.

This is the America that our Senate is cramming down our throats as culturalism. People tend to gravitate toward a culture they understand and are comfortable with. Bet you won't see this story on any of the drive-by media.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon2007-06-25jl.html

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

lmao, this is ridiculious!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sandy Banned Banned

He could have just gone to LA to see how wonderfully "diversity" works.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

I bet finding that article must have felt like one of the best moments in your life

8. sandy Banned Banned

I learned nothing. It proves everything I've been saying for the past 10 years. No news here.

9. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Apparently this has went totally over your head, but America, the United States, is a melting pot. It's is the basic principle this country was founded upon. Surely you cannot be that clueless.

If you don't like diversity Sandy, then take your ass to any of the following countries and STFU about ours:
    Cuba
    Vietnam
    Cambodia
    Iran
    Syria
    and my personal favorite, China
    You will find very low diversity in any of these countries.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Guess the US was a bad idea all around.

11. sandy Banned Banned

No. Criminal aliens are a bad idea all-around.
    And legal immigrants don't appear to be doing so well either.

12. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

So what exactly are you getting at? Are you bitching about diversity only where the current illegal immigration is concerned or about diversity all the way back to our independence in the 1700s?
    Diversity has worked for this country for 231 years.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

14. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

And I guess it has always been peaches and cream over in India with your, what, 18 different documented dialects?
    http://www.indianchild.com/indian_languages.htm

"He who is without sin, cast the first stone" -J.C.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Of course, it has been absolutely peaches and cream. Until the genocidal hordes descended on us from the West and poisoned the country. :bawl:

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Jesus teached that people should keep to their own kind......

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

It's not our fault you can't keep yourselves from being taken over and colonized by Western countries.

Besides, talk to Britain about its contribution to that. But your language diversity goes farther back than that:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Aryan_languages

The U.S. wasn't even a thought in the 13th century.
    And if I had to guess, those 'Muslim' invasions did not come from Western countries.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ya way to go with the Muslim invasion.

Urdu is an Indian language and after 800 years of "rule" the Mughals were leading the Hindus against the British.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Mughal-Fall-Dynasty-Delhi/dp/074758639X

Talk about integration.

19. Faerynght Registered Senior Member

20. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Thanks.

21. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Well, if that's false, your more than welcome to prove me wrong.

I'm not going to disagree with you there, but it was an 800 year rule and integration that the United States had precisely DICK to do with, which was my point to begin with.
    But I'm sure you'll find some asinine way to link the U.S. to India's problems, even if it was 700+ years ago.

22. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

The odd thing is, reading the study, that I'm not sure Sandy would like its conclusions.

The conclusion of the author is not "we need to limit immigration." In fact, the author acknowledges the long term benefits of immigration but points out its short-term (primarily local) costs. That's not especially surprising, as most significant change brings with it some uncertainty and adjustment costs. Globalization and free trade, for example, are in the long run interest of the economy, but that doesn't mean there is no short-term pain (when an individual's job moves overseas).

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

We've never considered diversity a problem in India, so long as people recognised the desire for mutual respect. Not to say that there haven't been shabby rulers or its all a rose garden, but the majority would never, for instance, support war or invasion of another country, forget nuclear bombardment.:shrug: