If a foreigner is born in the USA etc is he an American etc?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by alexb123, Jun 26, 2007.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I was just watching a clip of a famous UK comedian Bernard Manning and he was asked if he was racist, he replied "yes".

He then went on to say that he didn't feel people from outside the UK born here were British, and he used this joke to put across his point. If a Dog is born in a stable, is he a horse?

What are peoples views on this?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I have no problem with that law. If a baby is born in America of illegal aliens, then the baby is American, but that doesn't change the illegal status of the parents. So, the baby can stay in the USA, but the parents must be deported.

I will say, however, that "intent" is also a major part of laws ...if the parents sneaked into the USA specifically to have the baby born in the USA, then I think the baby should NOT automatically become a citizen.

Baron Max

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Depends on the financial status of the parents; if they have money, no one cares, not even if they were Nazis.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Huh? Ya' mean that's how it is in the USA, or that's how it should be? Or that's how it is in India?

Baron Max

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How are they gonna be able to prove that? All tehy would need to do is lie about when they snuck over.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If they're in the country illegally, then the intent is pretty clear, don'tcha' think? That's different to a Mexican who has a day-worker permit, and happens to be on the USA side when she goes into labor. See? See the difference?

Baron Max

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

A person with a permit isn't illegal.
    A person could have been here illegally intending to send money home and got pregnant. Their intention was never to to come to teh US to have babies.

11. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

So are you saying that the only thing that makes someone an American is the geographic location of their birth place?

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Not the only thing. You can be born in another country and become a citizen. Most of those people are better Americans that ones born here. I know some of them are better Americans than I am.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No its one of the ways:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

14. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Complete non sequitur. Why should we even discuss this foolish thought? This is something that should be given to school children to dissect the fallacy.

15. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Na. The doggy wouldn't be a horse, silly Manning—he'd be a stabler! So would the horse, I guess. Mmmm.

16. vslayer Registered Senior Member

citizenship is just a tool of fascism. if all borders could be freely crossed by anyone then the world would be a much better place; if a government acted malevolently they wolud soon find they have no citizens left to pay them taxes, and they would crumble. governments would be unable to act for their own benefits anymore.

17. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Right-on, man! vslayer for president!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

New World Map! No Nations!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Ripley Valued Senior Member

As it should be. Imagine a far far far future with intergalactic travel at full swing. So we return from billions of light years away only to land on Earth and go through… customs?? "Sorry, sir, your visa was issued to land on Russian soil—this is America, and I can't dispatch you there from here because you are not suppose to be here! You'll have to return to the Sombrero Galaxy and get things straightened out, sir." "WTF???" "I don't make the rules, sir."

20. oreodont I am God Registered Senior Member

The rights don't belong to the parents but to the American citizen. It's irrelevent as to the intent of the parents. The citizenship is that of the child. American citizenship by birth has nothing to do with 'intent' but fundamental rights under the 14th ammendment of the Constitution.

One can question the need to change the Constitution but that's a separate issue.

21. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

A foreign fetus becomes a naturalised US citizen upon exit of the vagina over US soil. The same is not true of a penis, or foreign objects.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I agree. And as I said in the earlier post: "I have no problem with that law. If a baby is born in America of illegal aliens, then the baby is American, but that doesn't change the illegal status of the parents. So, the baby can stay in the USA, but the parents must be deported."

See the part where I said: "So, the baby can stay in the USA, but the parents must be deported."

The baby is a citizen, but the parents ain't .......so deport the parents.

Baron Max

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Do they then lose their parental rights and the baby gets adopted out?