Hoodies?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Jun 25, 2007.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i dont know if you all know but there is a great big thing going on about these "Hoodies" that kids like to wear to cover they're faces, they are being asked to take them of when they go into certains shopping centres aswell, is this right?

now some people say, that they intimidate people by hiding they're faces, and i am inclinded to agree with them, but the kids that wear them say "we should be able to wear what we like when we like" but for what reason do they feal the need to hide they're faces?

-----------------------------------

Crime at a London shopping centre has been halved since a ban on youths wearing hooded tops was introduced.

Visitor numbers are up 20 per cent since the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre in South London introduced a “zero tolerance” policy on the clothing favoured by young thugs.

The figures mirror a 20 per cent rise in visitors enjoyed by the giant Bluewater shopping complex in Kent after it introduced its own ban on “hoodies”. The ban was imposed at Elephant and Castle in May in response to problems with loitering gangs and rampant petty crime, especially shoplifting.

Mike Knell, the shopping centre manager, said: “Since the ban was introduced, crime, including shoplifting, is 50 per cent down and we have also seen a 20 per cent increase in visitor numbers. The results are absolutely excellent and everyone, including the shopkeepers, are delighted

-----------------------------------------------------

The cries of discrimination will ring out from innocent teenagers who argue they should be allowed to wear what they choose. But police in many parts of Britain claim more than half of robberies are carried out by thugs in hoods and baseball caps - a gangsta-style look popularised by US rap stars such as Eminem.

And countless witness appeals after a mugging or violent attack talk of a suspect in such gear.

This week a 13-year-old girl was raped in bushes at Solihull. One of her two attackers wore a hooded top.

And two hooded thugs were among a gang who beat up a a boy of 15 with a wooden stake in Nuneaton, Warks.

One serial car thief in Teesside was even hit with an anti-social behaviour order to stop him wearing any type of hat or cap in public.

Police said it became impossible to stop 21-year-old Christopher Wood carrying out his mini-crime wave as they could not identify him on CCTV footage.

Bluewater's ban is no different to stopping people wearing crash helmets in banks to stop armed robberies.

--------------------
    so what do you think? should they be able to wear what they like? or should they not wear them in places like shopping centres?

for me, i feal intimidated when i see a group of young kids wearing these hoodies, hiding they're faces!!

so discuss:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Ban their use in public places like malls. Limiting some fashion freedoms of some teens that for some reason don't want to show their faces is far outweighed by the public good and security.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I agree totally with this. While I adamantly support freedom of speech, clothing, religion and what not, when it comes down to being able to identify a perp, that trumps that individual freedom. Plus, since these are private establishments, they have the right to impose any rules and restrictions needed to ensure safety of their customers, as long as the follow the country's regulations.

This reminds me of the issue of Muslim women in America (maybe certain states) where they are arguing that they should be able to keep their burka on when they get their drivers' license photo taken. Ohh....found it:
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/06/06/florida.license.veil/

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i hate hoodies, and i may be a bit biased about the kids who wear them, i know not that all children are bad, but when your going to work on a bus and you get mugged by a group of kids wearing them you cant help but put all the hoodies in one pile

8. Dark520 Rebuilt Registered Senior Member

Numbers don't lie, 50% less crime, 20% more customers. I'm for it.

9. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I love hooded sweatshirts. I have a Fox Racing one draped over the chair behind me. But I tend to use them for their intended purpose, to keep warm in chilly weather. Unless my head/face is cold, the hood stays down.
    Although I do most definitely see the point in banning them in the shopping centers.

10. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I think the shopping centres are just too lazy and tight to hire better security. If someone is shoplifting then they would be caught in possession and they will be on CCTV regardless of if you can see their face and when you catch them you can retrace their steps on the cameras pretty easily. Of course it's far easier to ban something than to get people to do a better job, if there isn't enough staff then hire more. Imagine what kind of world we'd live in if detectives stopped going after murderers because "nobody got their face on CCTV". What a copout.
    Do they stop muslims covering their faces too? What about banning people with long hair where you can't see there face?
    Lets face it, nobody likes hoodies so they get banned because of the press peddling the "thug" image. Makes a change from it being skinheads though right?
    Worse still is that it's a fashion thing which makes money, so how many shops in those centres do you think sell the bloody things?!
    They might be unsociable buggers who don't like people seeing their faces, but that's teens for you! Not all thugs wear hoodies, not all hoodies are thugs, and not all of them are even teens. Let them have their fashion phase like the goths and everyone else, they'll either grow out of it or join a gang.

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

why woudl you want to hide your face? i knwo not all thugs wear hoodies but they are scarey, and not all teenagers wear them either my teenage children do not, because i simply will not buy them one,

12. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Because if you're a woman...Allah orders you to!!!
    :roflmao:

13. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

how many muslim women would wear hoodies!!

14. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Well, I was talking about burkas, which cover the face like a hoodie. Sorry. Should have elaborated.

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

lol thats ok, but i think that they shouldnt wear burkas somtimes aswell, but that is anouther conversation

16. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I love hoodies. They're maybe the greatest bit of clothing ever invented.

I'm like Mike - unless it's raining or I'm freezing, the hood stays down.

It is intimidating when you meet a bunch of kids with their hoods up, but I don't see what we can do about it.

I've never been jumped or stabbed by a group of kids wearing hoodies, so maybe I'm just paranoid?

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Banning a style of clothing is wrong and ultimately unenforceable. Security is always cited as a cause to inhibit freedom. Natural selection will take care of these thugs when they get hit by cars trying to cross the street.

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i have not been stabbed but mugged!!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  19. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I hear you.

I meant that personally I have no reason to be worried. They shouldn't pose a threat to me, going by my experience.

There are many objects and items of clothing that have legitimate purposes, but are used by nefarious people for their own agenda.

We can't ban all of these things, or govern the use of them. We can control who they are sold to, but we're talking about clothes here! There's no easy option.

Balaclavas have a use, outside of bank robbery. Knives have many many uses besides stabbing people.

20. vslayer Registered Senior Member

yes balaclavas are good for cold nights, but you dont walk into a bank wearing one, so why sholud you be able to wear a hoody?

21. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

i'm a teenager and i wear hoodies, somtimes but i don't see why all these people are complaining about just puting there hoodies down while in a shop.
    I would also agree that we have earned the reputation that we have got by wearing them while in shops.

22. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

then if kids know they have got a reputation in shops why do they insist on wearing them?

23. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

cuase it's easier to nick stuff silly

and i'm agreeing with you here lol