Reason to fall in love

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by tablariddim, Jun 24, 2007.

1. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

So I was just talking with an old (girl) friend at a party, and she turns round to me and says, 'I know I may sound shallow, but when I came to this country I was trying to decide who I was going to marry out of two really handsome millionnaires that wanted me (this woman is stunningly beautiful even at 50), and then I met **** and when we danced I knew that he was the one. He had nothing, was nothing, wasn't even handsome and yet that dance meant everything to me, and I ended up marrying him. I danced with him just now and the feeling is still there; even though we are complete opposites, I love everybody and he hates everybody, I am social and he is completely anti-social and we fight like cat and dog, when we dance, even though his soul is not into it, I just melt. What 's that all about?'

That's the first time I've ever heard that as an excuse to fall in love and marry someone, what are your thoughts?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Because women put a shitload of emphasis on this totally irrational, illogical idea called 'chemistry'. Men don't understand it and cannot compete with it.
    Your old girlfriend doesn't sound like she's all there anyway...coming to a country to marry one of two millionaires. That makes her a gold digger. IMO she doesn't deserve the guy she has.
    So my thoughts are most women have been brainwashed by those womens' novels and hollywood. They think that falling in love is going to be like in the movies, and that a relationship will always be like the first three months.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oh yeah, it can happen. I've done it too. Unfortunately reality has a tendency to intrude.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I'm a man and I can completely understand sexual chemistry, which is totally irrational and illogical, but, it does work, I've been there.

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

What do you mean? Could you elaborate there? I think I know what you're saying but I want to make sure.

9. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Nope. I can go out on a date with a girl, and if she makes me laugh and I feel comfortable around her, then I want to see here again. There is nothing illogical or irrational about that, and can easily be explained.

A guy can have a razor sharp wit, a golden sense of humor that could keep his date in stitches and make her feel comfortable all evening, but if she doesn't feel that 'chemistry', he won't get a second date.

And chemistry does precisely DICK for determining long term capability.
    I will support this statement until they bury me; people use way too much emotion and not enough logic when it comes to dating.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think reason has very little to do with falling in love.

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Oh believe me. I'm well aware of that. I bet that has a lot to do with why so many relationships don't work out. To them the 'chemistry' is there, yet they don't use any logic (or they ignore it) and don't worry about long term compatibility. I've fallen for a few girls that I knew would never work out, yet I exercised enough reason/logic and will power to not pursue anything further with them.
    I will agree that it's hard to control (maybe even impossible) to control who you fall in love with.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but when the realities of the world set in and divorce proceedings begin, you notice how much emphasis they place on such things as ....money?!

Baron Max

13. sandy Banned Banned

I have "fallen in love" many times and I absolutely love it. I love the high, the excitement, all the hormones (dopamine, norepinephrine (adrenalin), endorphins, seratonin, etc..) bouncing around. "Chemistry" is important in that you have to feel good/attracted to the guy.

Now I'm more into good friends and dates. I don't do the "in love like a teenager" thing anymore because I have to behave.

14. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Exactamundo!!!
    Just like I said above. That's what happens when people let their emotions drive. The worry too much about chemistry and not at all about long term.

15. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

"What else is love but understanding and rejoicing in the fact that another person lives, acts, and experiences otherwise than we do…?"

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil."

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Let the buggers break their legs and see what happens. Tossers.

17. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Chemistry is there or it isn't. Sometimes on the surface you can be very opposite. When you get down to the bare bones of it all you could be very much alike, when it comes to the basic important things. You can have the exact opposite interests and do things on you own.....and get together and do a few things you do have in common together. I mean if you are too much alike wouldn't that be boring?

Sometimes you can't explain love. Sometimes you look at the person and think
    you drive me fuking nuts.........other times you think what would you do without them.... You laugh, you love, you fight, you makeup its all part of the package.

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, here's a thought: how about telling us, the other half of the "package", what the fuck is going on some of the time? That seems fair, if you want us in on the frigging experience.

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

wow you seem hostile with me? lolol

what do you wanna know?

20. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Love is a chemical imbalance.
    And should be avoided.

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

YEAH I AM CRAZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYY:crazy:

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I agree, but just as for chocolate, sometimes I give in.

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Not you per se, just the unwistful reality of the wistful wistfullness. I'm just generally saying "hey, let us know". That's all.