Mongolian smash

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by original, Jun 22, 2007.

1. original sine Registered Senior Member

So I was working today when someone walked in the office carrying a small black folder, a short girl wearing glasses, who was there soliciting for an AIDS fund raiser or some supposed donation to the medical field. She walked up to me and said, "Hello, my English is not so good," and bowed politely.
    I replied, "Oh, hi, that's okay," and returned her gesture.

She opened up the black folder and set it on the counter in front of us, grabbed a small laminated sheet of paper with a handwritten English paragraph explaining why she was there. I quickly read through it, knowing that she was there to sell the items within the black folder, a collection of small magnets with various images, including the Last Supper, a bald eagle, a dragon, and a few others as well, all framed in black plastic. I noticed that the paragraph expressed religious sentiments of being grateful to God and that what goes around comes around, and it would be good if we purchased her wares, at $15 per item.

I explained to her, "I don't have any money. I only have three dollars."
    She replied, "Checks okay too."
    I tried again to tell her I couldn't afford it, but while doing so, a girl I work with said, "We don't accept solicitations. We can't buy those."
    The saleswoman did not understand. Again an explanation of rejection, again she did not comprehend. I told the solicitor, "I can't buy these". I thought she understood as she collected her things and bowed again, but she walked down the hall to the office of my manager, who was talking on the phone. She walked in and probably offered the same thing she did to me. My manager told her that we didn't accept solicitations and she would have to go through the process of calling our corporate office.

She gathered her things and briskly walked toward the exit. However, she missed the door, instead loudly smashing her face against the glass window next to the door. She reeled back and dropped to the tiled floor, holding her face in her hands, starting to cry. I hurried over to her and so did my manager and the girl I work with, as well as other employees in the office. She wasn't bleeding, but was covering her eyes and crying, her glasses bent out of shape. Now people started expressing concern.

"Get her some water!"
    "Get her on the couch!"
    "Someone go get some ice!"

I was told to get her some water. I went and grabbed a cup, filled it, and brought it to the couch where people were leading her, sitting next to the crying girl with her head in her hands. People were laughing about the incident, asking "who is she", and "does she speak English?"
    Someone brought ice wrapped in a towel and held it to the girl's face, telling her to keep it there. My manager told her to lie back on the couch, and pulled her feet up so she could lie down. He asked her for a business card and her identification. He made copies of both and gave them back.

At this point, the girl started to get up and leave, but my manager insisted that she stay for a few more minutes. Someone grabbed some glass cleaner and wiped the large smudge the girl's face had made against the clear glass. Finally, the girl grabbed her things, apologizing and saying her eyesight is not so good. I opened the door for her and she walked out, still holding her head, checking her face in the window of a parked car. After she was gone, the story was told over and over again with laughter. My manager said, "you're witnesses, she said she blamed it on her eyesight." He called the police to explain the situation. The two policemen laughed and said, "yeah, we found her walking around south of here and holding her head. We tried to talk to her but she didn't understand us." Again they laughed.

It wasn't all that funny to me.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

LOL, it is kinda just youe sence of humor

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The story made me feel sad.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Selling magnets at $15 a pop, using religion and veiled threats (what goes around, comes around) to persuade you.

I think she got her karma, alright.

Quite amusing that your boss went into 'oh shit! lawsuit!' mode so quickly.

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

People can be so callous, it's sad.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Same here.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

That's about the only thing I found humorous - the boss shitting his pants.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

The sad thing is that nobody really cared, just pretended.

12. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

You're a good storyteller, original. Well written.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

:bravo:
    I agree.

14. original sine Registered Senior Member

Thanks! I appreciate your comments. Yeah, during the whole incident my boss had the word "lawsuit" painted on his face. He was worried about the company being held liable for her injury when the thought of such frivolous legal action probably never even registered in her mind.

15. peta9 Registered Senior Member

That is strange and I never understood those door to door salesman and I always felt sorry for them because they get turned down more often than not. I also don't like what most of them pitch anyways. For example, whoever thought of the idea of pitching stupid magnets for fifteen dollars is an ass and a moron who underestimates the general public and trying to cheat them. Most door to door pitches aren't that bad but it just makes the pitcher work harder than it's worth. I remember a guy who worked for some butchershop on wheels who would go door to door laying out frozen meats to try to sell people and almost no one bought them because they didn't trust it. I felt sorry for him just like those people who used to stand in the middle of traffic trying to sell flowers or anything in heat or cold.

Um..but Original, for someone who claims it wasn't funny to you, you sure have a weird way of showing it by comically naming it "Mongolian Smash." Now that's comical with more than a hint of racism. If it were a white person and I named my thread, "Honkey Smash" and claimed it wasn't funny to me, i would be a liar and pretty stupid. But then most people are that stupid to not pick up on it, I just ain't one of them.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  16. original sine Registered Senior Member

It describes the story in two words. How lame would it be to have a title like "girl runs into glass" or "solicitor's face and the unexpected impact"? Please, elaborate on how racism has anything to do with me or my story. The girl was from Mongolia. She was Mongolian. She smashed her face against some thick clear glass. If it were a white person, I wouldn't call it "Honky smash" because I don't call white people "honkies". And, come on, "White trash bash" is way cooler.