Weightless for 20 seconds

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by one_raven, Jun 21, 2007.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What would you pay?

If there was a "ride" you could go on (not a parabolic flight, a ride fixed to the ground like a roller coaster) that allowed you to feel the sensation of weightlessness for 20 seconds, what would you pay to get on that ride?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

not alot

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

an airport in london (forgot wich one) is opening a space runway/launch thing. and you pay for some weightless flight time, i forget howlong, and i forget howmuch it costs, but i think its around 90-100k.

wow that was a useless post wasnt it, but in reply to your Q i would pay around £500 i guess. but only if it went up in space.

edit- if it didnt go up in space then i would pay around £40 i guess, its hard to say actualy, it depends on the tech used and how expensive it is to run. but i would love to do it, and if they charged alot i would pay out if it seemed worth it.

peace.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

These guys do that - I don't know what they charge, though.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

...or 30 or 40 seconds...

9. fishtail Registered Senior Member

I would pay £1 a minute.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I'm thinking that it will cost in the neighborhood of $5 million to build.
    I'm wondering if the costs could be recouped.

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i would 100% try it out, and if i thought it was worth it i would do it many more times, if i could stay up for over 3-4 mins that would be a dream come true,

me and my friend would pay nicely to be able to have a weightless fight, dragonball z style.

peace.

12. te jen Registered Senior Member

If someone could create a gravity-free zone at the surface of the earth - say a sphere 10 meters in diameter - people would pay PLENTY for the experience. It's the universal human dream. I'd pay $10US a minute for something like that if the time was open-ended, and I'd figure out a way to scrape together $100000US if I could buy one of my own.

I think a more likely technological scenario would be to forget about the physical experience itself, but rather to envision some sort of Matrix-like brain/machine interface that would allow you to ditch the human body's senses and substitute a virtual reality indistinguishable from (and likely in many ways superior to) the real thing.

13. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

20 seconds of weightlessness sounds kinda cool - although hanging out in a quazi-weightless swimming pool also has its perks

The 'anti grav' room would likely involve waiting in a long line, then finally getting a brief few moments to float around a room among the kind of people you see when you go to museums & amusement parks (families, children, tourists, retirees, etc). I guess riding the vomit comet may also be a rewarding experience.

The swimming pool --- there's probably no line. I hang out for a few hours at a time, and have more control over the kind of people I want to float around....... sun baked adults in bathing suits (preferably women wearing bikinis)-- If I'm at the right place, then I can order a drink while I'm there

I would avoid spending money on the brief antigrav experience, but would gladly spend a hundred dollars at the pool

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  14. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

What would I pay? Depends on how much money I have. Right now, I'd pay $20-40 bucks. For 20 minutes, I'd pay $570. That'd be cool to gobble a huge gobblet of Hi-C or water. Like a bubble in the mouth. It'd take a while to think of shit to do with zero gravity. 20 seconds... nah, more like 20 minutes.

15. original sine Registered Senior Member

I'd pay one dollar per second, if I could purchase time in blocks of minutes or hours and have the device to myself or those I invite. Or steal a shuttle from a space agency and just leave the planet for the rest of my life.

Hm...

:shh: