Ambulance for obese patients

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by shorty_37, Jun 21, 2007.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I just found this article:

Ambulance for obese patients to debut in Calgary
    21/06/2007 8:35:08 AM

Marking a troubling trend towards obesity in Canada, a new ambulance built to accommodate patients weighing as much as 1,000 pounds is about to make its debut in Calgary.

The city's new "bariatric response team" will include an air-bag system to help transport obese patients onto stretchers and a hydraulic lift system to bring patients into the ambulance.

Specially trained paramedics will also be used to deal with obese patients.

The remote lift system, which costs about $30,000, automatically raises patients on a widened stretcher and into the ambulance.

The new ambulance will also ease the strain on paramedics who previously had to find a way to transport obese patients.

Still, other treatment challenges are yet to be addressed. Currently, CT scanners and magnetic resonance imaging machines can only service patients who weigh less than 350 pounds (159 kilograms).

Since 1985, the number of morbidly obese people in Canada has quadrupled, according to the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

What do you think of this?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i think its time for them to lose some weight. being that fat is not healthy, and if it means extra costs for the healthcare system then perhpas the government sholud be using some of that money to combat obesity, rather than accomodate for it.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

well I have watched this show...Inside Brookhaven's Obesity clinic.
    They have ppl well over 500-1000 lbs in this clinic. They have round the clock care. Some of the patients are constantly complaining they don't want to try and walk or do any kind of exercise( by that I mean some elastic band stretching) They smuggle in food.......and don't follow the rules. These nurses have to wash them and they need like 5 ppl to move them in their beds. These ppl really get me angry when everybody is trying to help them and all they do is complain. What should they do with these ppl?
    And why should the government and the tax payers have to pay for this.

BTW: most of these ppl are not this large due to health issues........
    they show what these ppl are accustomed to eating in a day.....
    they were eating in one day what we may eat in a week!
    Then they complain at the clinic when they are put on a 2000-2500 cal diet.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I agree totally.
    With the exception of people who are obese due to a glandular problem or some otherwise condition that's difficult to combat; no one put a gun to these people's heads and told them they must eat twinkies and bon bons day in and day out, and sit on the couch all the time and watch oprah or days of our lives or american shooter.

"But I just had a baby, I can't help it"
    -No one forced you to have a baby; and if you can't take enough care of yourself to let yourself go, how the hell are you going to take care of a baby?

Aside from the aforementioned exception above, there is no excuse for being fat.

This reminds me of that thing back a few years ago where the airlines started (or were going to charge) fat people double fare because they took up two seats on the plane. Of course the fattys complained, even though 90% of the time, it's their own fault.
    http://www.plastic.com/article.html;sid=02/06/19/18132253
    http://boards.independenttraveler.com/showthread.php?t=4043

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I remember that as well, infact there were women on DR PHIL (who I cannot stand) yelling discrimination about the airlines. They were also saying that the movie theatres should also rows of OVERSIZED seats because the seats are too uncomfortable.

9. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Well said

10. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I have seen a skinny guy(standby) punted off a plane because of a fat woman(took 2 seats). It was not a happy scene.

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

There is such a thing as discrimination against sex and race because (unless you are a post-op tranny or Michael Jackson), one cannot do anything about their gender or race.

Now if you're a fat lazy, greasy bloated, 15 ham sandwich eatin lard ass, that is ENTIRELY your fault. AFAIC, you brought that shit on yourself.

Maybe I should go fuck up my credit real bad on purpose then go complain that I'm being discriminated against when I get turned down for a mortgage.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I can't beleive someone can get to 500-1000 lbs
    It seems so crazy...But I have seen them on this show,
    Inside the Clinic. Some of these ppl could care less at the amount
    of staff that are needed just to move them from a bed.
    They don't seem embarressed or anything.....I just don't
    get that! I think I would blow my head off if it was me.

13. kame Registered Member

It's a coincidence how last night, I saw a little bit of a show about a really fat man. I was flipping through channels during a commercial break mythbusters

... but anyway, I believe it said he weighed over 800 pounds, hadn't walked in over 5 years, and had over 35,000 calories each day. To get him to the hospital, they had to demolish half of his house, and to get him to the hospital, they didn't have a big enough stretcher. They got him onto a forklift using 8 firemen. I didn't watch the whole thing, but reading this post made me feel i should bring up the forklift thing.

14. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

mythbusters lol my kids watch that.

Anyhow it was the 750lb man, I saw that show before.
    How embarrassing having to be forklifted out of your house,
    I would rather just die in the house.

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I see that being no one's fault but his own. They should have let that fat worthless p.o.s rot in his house, then burned it.
    35,000 calories a day???? I don't even think I eat that many calories in two weeks. And people are starving over in Africa.
    Call me a jerk; I don't care. That dude gets no sympathy from me.

16. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

They should feed him to the starving people in Africa

17. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I'm in two minds over this.

I don't know enough, on an individual basis, case by case, to say, but people shouldn't be allowed to get this way.

If they have the money to eat themselves to death and pay for the cleanup job afterwards, and that's what they want, fair enough. If it's going to cost the taxpayer a lot of money, measures should be in place to stop them destroying themselves.

I doubt many of these people deliberately get to that size and I dare say many of them have medical conditions that make them vulnerable, but you'd have thought there was something they could do before everything went so wrong.

I've got a little bit of a gut and some moobs recently, but I've got an ok BMI and I look relatively skinny. I dare say there's been a few occasions where I've had 5000 calories a day. Usually when I've been stoned and my metabolism's working overtime, though.

I've known a lot of people who eat less than I do, but are about 4 times the size. It's unfair in the first place, and then they get stick from 'normal' people for it.

I smoke, drink to excess, eat shit food, exercise when I feel like it and do what I want. I can get away with it, for now anyway. As I get older, I think my metabolism's slowing down and I do try to watch what I eat a little more these days.

Life's a bitch. More so for some people than others, it seems.

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

What measurses do you suggest? Because some of these ppl go into
    clinics and still do not follow what the medical doctors tell them to do.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

"Yeah we got a code 12, send the blimp buggy."

20. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Then fuck 'em. They can rot.

A little harsh, sure, but when they don't care about themselves and are willing to waste everyones time and money, I think it's deserved.

If you get a liver transplant and then drink your new one into the ground, they're going to tell you to sod off, and with good reason.

Alternatively, lock them up in a fatty prison. They'll be given healthy food, forced to exercise and move.

edit - forgot the original question.

If somebody is obese (properly obese, not BMI obese), there should be mandatory 3 month checkups at the doctor for them. The doctor will reinforce what will happen to them with graphic images, videos, scare stories and a range of nasty things to persuade these people to do something while they still can.

Supermarkets could be told to refuse to sell certain foods to people who are clearly overweight.

I don't know why I'm saying all of this. It's nanny-state style bullshit and I don't tend to agree with that kind of thing.

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

This is the problem in this Show I have seen "Inside Brookhaven Obesity Clinic"

They come there voluntarily and they have a set rountine and program to follow.. BUT then they smuggle in food

When they get caught
    they get the riot act, but because its not a prison and its voluntary, the clinic says they can't do too much about it.

Except try and enforce the rules.

Some ppl who end up getting caught repeatedly doing this get thrown out.
    But then they end up getting called again because they had a heart attack or something at home.

The whole thing is ridicolous but seems to be getting worse.

The government or taxpayers should not have to pay one penny for ppl who act like this.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  22. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

That's the first thought that comes into my head, but it's hypocritical (of me, and I'd guess many others).

I drive dangerously quite often - no accidents, but it's a possibility.

I smoke - I'm young and my body isn't complaining yet, but it could happen and suddenly.

I get drunk and injure myself or very rarely get into a fight. I don't really drink these days!

I ride a bike very fast down rocky, muddy hills, throw myself off things on it, do jumps, etc.

I take drugs now and again - I could o/d, collapse, go crazy.

The majority of people take risks. It's arguable, but I suppose what separates me from these morbidly obese people is if, not when.

23. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Ok well do you think these people should get special treatment?
    Like earlier said 2 seats on a plane but only have to pay for 1?
    Or should the restaurants and movie theatres being making special
    seats to accomodate them?