Are you 4real???

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., Jun 21, 2007.

?

Should the parents be permitted to name their son 4real?

1. Sure, what's in a name?

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. No, its a dumb idea

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Who cares?

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. See my post for what I think.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

New Zealand authorities have blocked a couple's bid to officially name their new son "4real," saying numerals are not allowed.

Pat and Sheena Wheaton said they decided to name their new baby "4real" shortly after having an ultrasound and being struck by the reality of his impending arrival.

"For most of us, when we try to figure out what our names mean, we have to look it up in a babies book and ... there's no direct link between the meaning and the name," Pat Wheaton told TV One on Wednesday. "With this name, everyone knows what it means."

But when the parents filed the name with New Zealand's Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, they were told names beginning with a number were against the rules.

The government office has opened negotiations with the parents about the name under a policy that says all unusual names must be given case-by-case consideration.

http://www.mercurynews.com/weirdnews/ci_6193212

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sandy Banned Banned

Interesting. I can just see all the proud pagan parents naming their kids '666' if it was allowed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Also, the poor kid named '4real' would take a lot of abuse from other kids growing up.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

so my kid would take alot of abuse if i called it some funky name without a number. nobody has a right to say who can name there child anything.

all names should be allowed. you just dont like it because you think they are black.

peace.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Displayng your usual ignorance and bigotry there 'Sandy', Paganism isn't anything to do with Satanism, and 'The Number of the Beast' isn't 666 anyway, that has been proven to be a common error, it is in fact '616'

So what? No more than some other childrens names that are allowed.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

The state should not interfere in this matter. If the parents want to call the child '4real', while I personally think it a bit stupid, that's their choice, and they should be allowed it.

9. sandy Banned Banned

W.T.F.

I think '4real' is a "black" name? :wtf:
    Or I think the parents are black? W.T.F???

That thought was beyond insane.:crazy:

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

lol no its not insane you know exactly what i mean. you think its stupid because the name is "4real" not just because it has a number in it, you would say its equally stupid if the name was "fo,real"

so go ahead and justify why the use of a number shouldent be allowed? apart from the fact that you dont like it.

peace

11. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

You're wrong.

Pagans don't believe in number of the beast. Some believe in forces of nature, others worship politheistic pantheon or just particular deities from that pantheon, good or bad or both. Others just believe in themselves and own powers they possess.

I think you refer to satanists.

*Oh, phlogistician already responded to this*

And for the poll. No one has right to restrict giving names. No matter how name is stupid.
    If I decide to call myself Boomboomscungulinguineian, there should be no law on Earth that could forbid that.

Also, name that could be insulting in one culture, in other culture is quite common.

Diversity!

12. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

lol it kinda looks like boomboom"cunninglingus"

peace.

13. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I choose not to vote because consensus on 'should it be allowed' is based on aesthetic approval of a specific name as opposed to approval of the policy.

The issue of "taste" here is irrelevant. In this specific instance, the problem was the fact that the specific region did not allow numeric characters to be used in a legal name. I'm assuming that means the parents could have named their kid "fourreal" or "forreal"....... of course, it would have lost the specific appeal they were looking for.
    Who cares if I personally dislike the name "Eagle Bear" because I'm some hick who doesn't like injun' names, or "Moonbeam" because I think hippie names are too crazy.

BTW - there was a software engineer a while back here in the US who named his kid "Jon Blake Cusack 2.0" Maybe they should move here.
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/02/01/offbeat.baby.version2.0.ap/index.html

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The English have had Roman numerals in their names for ages

15. fishtail Registered Senior Member

I like 7 of 9, 7of9, R2D2 would be a cool name, but then some guy would sue your but off for using them.

16. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

17. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Harpenden:

Mr Elsie Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (SILLY) - 26,317
    James Walker (SENSIBLE) - 26,318
    Malcolm Peter Brian Telescope Adrian Umbrella Stand Jasper Wednesday (pops mouth twice) Stoatgobbler John Raw Vegetable (sound effect of horse whinnying) Arthur Norman Michael (blows squeaker) Featherstone Smith (blows whistle) Northgot Edwards Harris (fires pistol, which goes 'whoop') Mason (chuff-chuff-chuff) Frampton Jones Fruitbat Gilbert (sings) 'We'll keep a welcome in the' (three shots, stops singing) Williams If I Could Walk That Way Jenkin (squeaker) Tiger-drawers Pratt Thompson (sings) 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head' Darcy Carter (horn) Pussycat 'Don't Sleep In The Subway' Barton Mainwaring (hoot, 'whoop') Smith (VERY SILLY) - 2

18. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Like the man said, they could just spell it Forreal. The child would probably grow up famous. "So-and-So novel", written by Forreal Wheaton...has a nice ring to it.

I know there are ppl named Six and Seven

but they spell the word...

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Or fourreal, they should avoid numbering people.

20. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

How about, Myparentsareapairofdumbasses Forsure?

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

can anybody legaly sue you for that? (lucas?) im sure that your government name doesent class as breaking copyright law does it?.

peace.