personal attacks

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by pjdude1219, Jun 20, 2007.

1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

it seems to me people are complaining a lot about personal attacks. it also seems to me most of the posts these people are saying are personal attacks are not. they are people refer and infering things from people said about their beliefs and things that they probably belief. i started this thread to show these people what a personal attack really is. i want people to post examples of what real personal attacks are. i have but one rule you cannot mention or direct your examples to another post just show the form and what might be said in a real personal attack but do not truely attack anyone cause if you do i going to have to have to attack you and you probably don't want that here i go first to show what i mean and what i am looking for

you lessen all living things by your very existence. you are worthless as a human being, verdabrate hell as a living thing. the world as been made a worse place by you having been born. the world is made a dumber place each time you speak.

you see how thats different form post of whats being said there is a reason for this this if directed at another poster would truely be a personal attack

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Is that a challenge?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I haven't complained about being personally attacked..have you raven?

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Not that I can recall.

I HAVE called people out on their bullshit when they used ad hominems, when trying to avoid valid arguments, because they apparently had none (which is exactly what sandy does when she complains about "Liberals" and other groups of people - before she complains about personal attacks against her).

9. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Hahaha. I was wondering how many replies to the OP in this thread it would take before her name was mentioned. I actually figured she would have been mentioned sooner. ROFL.

10. sandy Banned Banned

I did that yesterday when I called you out on all your personal attacks against me. I had a list of at least 7 which I had researched and quoted,
    but it was deleted. Gee, what a surprise. Not.

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

no its not a challenge i just wanted to let people know that if they tried to hijack this thread to attack people i would not condone such acts like i said make the comments impersonal

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i have never personal attack you i have ok there was the one time i called you stupid but i for the most part haven't i have attacked your beliefs and ideas which i find to be vile and hateful but you not so much i find that counter-productive it tends to unrail threads

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

you couldn't keep it impersonal this is what i was worried about of happening to this thread

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

and to make a point i'm going to give what i believe to be the defenition of a person attack :the stating of a negative opinion as a fact

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

we are just having a discussion about your thread person attacks.......
    are you taking what we are saying personal now?

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I did not personally attack her, I simply used a specific example.
    It seems you don;t really know what a personal attack is.

She's absolutely right.
    I saw the thread.
    I even commented about what she said - and they WERE personal attacks.

ummm. No.

A personal attack is an an attack on someone's personal character, rather then their arguments.

"You are stupid" is a personal attack.
    "That idea is stupid" is not.

17. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

damn i just made a personal attack in the other thread i better go and delete it fast

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

This is not an attack nor an effort at derailing but it IS personal. Have you ever considered using capital letters and puncuation? That would considerably increase the readability of your posts. Look at the quote above: it's just one continous run-on and I had to read it twice to sort it out. Pretty pitiful.

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

No shit!

20. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

sorry i am at best a horrific type and tend to type as quickly as i think i'll try and slow down in the future

21. sandy Banned Banned

I posted a really nice suggestion to him and it was deleted.

This is getting f'n ridiculous.

Since this is a thread about personal attacks, here are some made against me by the OP:

"...you should f your self"...
    "...yeah i'm attacking you cause i'm fed up with listening to you rant and rave without contributing anything meaningful logically to the debate".......
    "sandy do you take meds for your head"...
    "yeah yeah you do get clue in fact get a whole box i heard they come in 20 packs at wallmart for three fifty"...
    "are you stupid "...

And best of all:

"if you think my responses were personal attacks i will glady show you what a REAL person attack is"...

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I'll be the first to admit that I have launched some personal attacks against sandy - I am probably one of the worst offenders, in fact - but to deny that those are personal attacks is just dishonest, or completely ignorant of what constitutes a personal attack.

23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Don't just slow down, stop! Go back. Look it over. And then add commas and periods. And then capitalize the words at the beginning of each sentence. Speed isn't the important thing, clarity IS.