Salad smoothie, dangerous?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Xerxes, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Lately, I've been making these blender drinks out of a thick spring salad green base.

So the question is, is it wise to grind these greens up into such small fibres? Could it cause any long or short term problems? Or am I better off juicing/chewing?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Chopping them in a blender will not cause any problems (unless that's all you eat) but it is certainly much better for you to chew and eat them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

sounds yucky

milk banana and frozen strawberries........yum

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

How does this fall under human science exactly? Shouldn't it be in the biology section??

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

one raven,
    Why is it much better to chew and eat them. Is it good to have chunks and leaves in there? I blend them to make more of the nutrients available.

shorty_37,
    It is, but then I don't drink it for the taste

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The nutrients don't become more available by blanding them.
    if anything, your body will waste more, because it's not working as hard to break down the fibers, and it will pass through.
    Your body works very efficiently in breaking down greens and effectively using the nutrients.

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

ofcourse its not dangerous, it will do you no harm, and you will still intake the goodness.

raven it wont waste more nutrients, aslong as your active and your body uses the things you take in it wont make a difference, its just like when you intake protein from shake form oppose to solid form (meat/eggs etc). if your using your muscles then your body will use up the protein, and if your body doesent use up the protein it will just pass through your urine.

peace.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Your body works harder to break down the fiber in its natural form, therefor it is better for your body and better for your metabolism.

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah maybe if the only thing you intake is smoothies lol, his body will have plenty of other things through the day to digest, your body does have to work more to break it down but it wont do him any harm,

and a plus is that you will get nutrients faster if you need them in a hurry from a smoothie, it will do his body no harm to drink a smoothie or 2 per day,

he is obviously still eating his regular meals so it wont make a difference.

peace.

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

That's exactly what I fucking said.

It IS better for your body to take them whole, but if that's not your only food, there is no "harm" that will come from smashing them up.

Getting them in a hurry is no benefit if you are on a regaular diet.

15. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Maybe if the only thing you intake is smoothies, your body will have plenty of other things through the day to digest, so your body does have to work more to break it down but it wont do him any harm.

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I never thought about it THAT way.
    I guess that's why you're the doctor.

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

your buddhist opinions are not wanted here.

peace.

18. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the responses.

So it's beneficial to drink only after a run or a workout?

one_raven, so by that logic, anything that can be eaten in it's rawest state should be?