Ignorance

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Oniw17, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Is it alright(in your opinion, of course) to go along with something someone says if you know it's incorrect just because you know they'll still think that they're right, and you know they'll never use the information anyway? I find myself doing that a lot. With things that any idiot would know most of the time. Like people used to live with dinosaurs, indians invented the idea of scalping, chinese and japanese are the same thing, etc.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Personally, I have few problems with ignorance - which simply means "not knowing."

What I do have is BIG problems with is lazy thinking or refusing to think/learn. And that's what you're really describing. And there's a great deal of that exhibited right here on this site. There's a lot of very accurate information available and many of us point these people directly to it for the purpose of allowing them to learn something. But they are too stupid/lazy to try or even care. Instead, they just keep babbling nonsense.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

sometimes its best just to walk away. one of my flatmates is a total capitalist, he refuses to accept any logic i try to lay out, and when it gets to the point that i have to sit there repeating 'no thats not what i mean' and fending off his irrelivent remarks, i simply end the conversation and let him think he has won. theres no point fighting for a lost cause.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

I should stay out of this thread, i think/

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Ignorance is ok, but refusing to learn is another thing.

I have found that i find that people who clearly have a lack of knowledge and are so transparent still believe that they know more than someone who clearly outstrips them to be extremely fustrating, then they refuse to learn or bother to listen. therefore i stop wasting my time.

9. John99 Banned Banned

exactly how does someone 'refuse to learn'?

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Someone refuses to learn by being stubborn and holding onto ideas that we know are wrong. it can be better put as refusing to enlighten themselves.

11. John99 Banned Banned

i guess i dont know what your talking about, suffice it to say in the strictest sense you cannot willingly refuse to learn.

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Yes in the strictest sense. Maybe i should have defined it as such: Someone who choses to remain ignorant despite the fact that the issue in particular will affect the world they live in.

13. John99 Banned Banned

i cant win

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

have you ever used the term 'thinking back'?

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

No, Come to think of it , all my phrases could be shortened ( I could be more succint)

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

can you truly "choose" to remain ignorant? because if you know something to be ture but dont admit it thats not ignorance, and if you dont know something then you didnt choose not to know it.

but i guess you can try to hide from facts by not allowing yourself to read certain content and information. but i wouldent call that choosing to be ignorant, i would call that lying to yourself.

peace.

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

good point. I think it would be called being close minded, However, what if you refuse to acknowledge something that is plainly obvious ?

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

if it is plainly obvious to them, then they have already acknowledged it inside thier own mind, but just refuse to adopt the new knowledge as fact. again it would be a case of trying to delude yourself and lying,

unless they actualy just honestly dont believe it to be true due to some other self logic they posess. either way as you said its closed minded unless they seem to have proven to themselves that its not true in some way.

peace.

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

What i dislike even further, is ignorant people who then feel insulted because you've shown them the flaw in their thinking, but then again, no body ( me included) likes to be wrong.

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

when your wrong about something it effects alot of things, firstly for most people it hits the ego. also it shakes your very logic and belief system and causes you to not be at ease, and the thing that causes the most aggressive response to bieng proven "wrong" is the simple fact that people are naturaly defensive, and they resort to all types of methods as a basic defence mechanism, ie changing the subject to take away the heat from the original fact that was proven wrong, or trying to turn the tides on the other and make him/her feel wrong about soemthing.

different people react in different ways, but in most cases people will get defensive for a number of reasons, and this can lead to complete corruption of the debate or discussion at hand, and seriously de-rail all attemps of a logical argument.

peace.

20. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

And as with egos, The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

21. charles brough Registered Senior Member

Ideally, our mates, relatives and friends should all have the same religion and political views so we can get along better. Our society is divided, however, so that it is far from ideal. We have to AVOID contentious issues in order to get along. Most people are sophisticated enough to manage this quite well. A person that often spouts out his religious and political views is hard to get along with.

I have friends of all different religions, sexual orientation and races. I do not attack religions openly but reserve that for these forums!

charles

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I've lived long enough to "know" how little I really know. Oh, people think they know things, but time solves that problem ...they come to realize that what they thought they knew wasn't really true.

I think, what this post says, is nothing more than ...."I'm right, you're wrong!"

Baron Max

23. ntgr Registered Senior Member

I find the subject of ignorance very interesting. Socrates was right wasn't he?(The only thing that I know is that I know nothing)
    I just read an article (in Greek) which I found interesting so I'll translate parts of it the best I can (some of the terms I don't know so forgive and correct me)-the writer's pseudonym is Ialyssos:

"In what admirable way is the the honest acknowledgement of ignorance transformed into a starting point for knowledge? The best answer to this question can only be given by experience. When someone reaches that critical point, without fear and expectations, it looks like something important is starting to happen inside and around him....
    ...According to Plato there are four types of ignorances:
    1) Simple, when someone doesn't know what something is, but at the same time understands that he doesn't know it
    2) Double, when he doesn't know it, but thinks he knows it (he has no idea of his ignorance)
    3) Maximum, when he does't know it, knows that he doesn't know it, but still he insists on his views and opinions without wanting to come out of his ignorance
    4) Sophistic-something(?), when someone doesn't know something but tries to cover his ignorance with hypotheses and guesses.
    ....the third and fourth type are the ones we see most today than ever before. The second one is mostly due to negative conditions in our society where people generally mean well but unfortunately their potential is not reached.
    The first one is the starting point for true knowledge, when personality realises its condition and says 'The only thing that I know is that I know nothing' ..."

I hope I didn't bore you with my big post

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, I think it is relative to the discussion and what has already been said.