Operating Systems Comparisons

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Adam, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Hello all.

As I've mentioned a few times, I'ma computer engineering student, but I'm still a beginner at it all. I have come to the conclusion that Windows sucks in a way that should bring down stray satellites on their heads. I know there are many websites which show compariosns of OSs, but I was wondering what experiences people here have with them all. So far I have only used Windows OSs and a brief bash (little pun there, bash) at Red Hat 6.1. What can you tell me about Solaris, OSX, and others?

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rick Valued Senior Member

I dont know how to say this,but i am an admirerer of Bill gates.He's been in limelight,earned so many bucks,on the basis of DOS with that stupid PRINT SPOOLER?
    hell,i need to take some lessons from this guy in implementations...

bye!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

Come on Windows isn't that bad for everyday use...

Personally I would like to combine parts of Solaris and Windows NT to create my 'ideal' OS.

If you don't like windows why don't you go back to DOS? Personally I used to like using DOS, The lack of a decent grammer and spell checker eventually forced me to use Windows more often.

As far as I can tell all versions of Unix (Red Hat Linux, Solaris, WinLinux etc) are all the same. WIth just a few different commands etc.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Dos is pure crud. I don't even like to think about it. I had to do a course unit on DOS scripting (I don't like to call it "batch files", since that term actually describes something else), and found it pure crap. DOS scripting was like the half-wit inbred cousin of unix shellscripts.

8. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Whats wrong with Unix shell scripts?? You can do some handy things them...

Even the dos scripts can be handy...

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Nothing wrong with shell scripts. I like them, I just don't like DOS.

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The majority of folks didn't like it either. You had to learn DOS to be able to use a computer before Windows poked it's ugly head on to the scene. There was always the memory to tinker with to get things to run. And there was no guaranty that makers of one computer were universal in commands with other makers. Windows did it for you with a click instead of having to learn the commands to get the computer to do something besides being a paper weight. So lazyness paved the way and Bill exploited it to the tee. The newest reincarnation is just as much a piece of crap as the first one was. Now it has more holes than my collander does for hackers and virus writers to exploit. At least the folks that write the virus protection programs are making a good living.

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hang on guys,

do you mean there's no Virus for UNIX as yet?
    indeed there are...

bye!

12. Rick Valued Senior Member

Try and build an OS like DOS then you can call yours creation as crap

bye!

13. kmguru Staff Member

The only two out of the box GUI interfaced good OS, I know are Mac OS X and NT 2000. I like both - They never gave me trouble. I have said this before, if Scott Mcneally wants to compete with Microsoft, he should have come out with a pure Java OS for WinTel or sold a GUI-Solaris for $80. BEOS is dead. OS/2 too. There is nothing out there that is anymore advanced than MS or Mac.

I was expecting one from the Japanese but they are afraid....May be the Indians or Chinese will come up with one....smart and self-healing....

14. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Isn't there a Java OS called Phoenix? Thought I saw mention of something like that somewhere.

15. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

If every one was more sensible and honest, you wouldn't have to make a secure O/S would you... Its only the idiots who create viruses that ruin it for everyone else. I spent a whole day last week cleaning a virus off of my four machines, just because some d*ck head wanted to have some 'fun'.

These are the people we should be bad mouthing, not Microsoft and the likes...

16. kmguru Staff Member

Sometimes I wonder if the anti-virus software shareholders are the ones creating the viruses....

What we really need is a method to track anyone who sends an emal to anybody, or gets a file from any computer. Then we could easily track those and punish for vandalism.

17. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Oh, I can't support that idea. You want the FBI and Interpol and such tracking your activities so extensively?

18. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

Why not? I have nothing to hide.

19. Rick Valued Senior Member

KM,
    Firstly,according to CNN the NSA(Just the NSA)shreds or destroys some 10,000 documents,(olde ones)on their computer dbases,<u>every day</u>.
    Imagine.they have very important documents out there.The FBI stores so many documents itself.if they start tracking,they are on a Hall.that will put their on network's security on test.(I think so,atleast.)I mean there are so many hackers out there waiting to kill FBI's servers and get caught.i mean its like a dream come true for every cracker!.

Secondly,
    Do you think,its economically viable?...i doubt it.

PS:No wonder i work for No Such Agency?

bye!

20. kmguru Staff Member

Hi, Zion

While you are on the subject of NSA, there are at least 15 more similar agencies hidden from view. Every military branch has one too. But each one does stuff differently. NSA mostly does electronic spying and perhaps information forensics. There is a overlap of stuff that CIA does too. After they collect all these information - it does not go anywhere. There is no mechanism to effect that knowledgebase.

For example: China is after Nepal and in 5 to 8 years, they will have their first government (pro-China). This has been going on for the last 10 years. Nepal has over 30 Gigawatts of potential hydropower. Everybody seems to be paralyzed including NSA, CIA and the state department....well that is another thread....

21. Rick Valued Senior Member

There's something even more scarry.
    U.S. is in Nepal to settle big scores.it has military bases there.I think they are trying to get over with China.

bye!

22. Rick Valued Senior Member

Adam,
    have you tried Caldera?
    it is RAW power...

bye!

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I've been running Debian on a system, I've enjoyed tinkering with it (even though I've been tinkering far too much) I'm sure that should appeal to you Zion since it's Caldera's half-brother/sister.

I did have to root around SUSE the otherday for a mate, he ask me very nicely to check his system out to find any flaws in his FTP server. So I ran through it, It wasn't masking root, I was able to read his files (couldn't write though), although I wrote to the TMP. (Which can be nasty, as if something installs and uses a folder etc.. you could run arbitory code)

Anyway, I found it pretty tite, I mean he could of CHMOD 550 for his files etc, but in the end he did a config that placed the FTP access concealing root, and stopping it dropping down a folder)

I did notice how ever that while root through his system and wondering into his Windows folder (dual boot) that it was possible to execute WIN.COM (everything else needed a better privelidge)

Now it's known that WIN.COM can be trojaned or virated. It spouted out junk to my console, but it's a potential hole to anything with windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.