Microsoft Has Spoken: Complexity Leads to Reliability

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by goofyfish, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Professor Disputes Microsoft Claim

Modular code is less reliable.
    You heard it here first (or at least second).
    I wouldn't know how to prove comparative "reliability," but one thing's for sure: If Windows were a set of modules, it would be a lot easier to figure out what to fix when it broke. Predictable mediocrity is what Microsoft's about - it's practically their credo.

Microsoft is the glass pipe of software. Suck deep.

Peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hey,Are you from Red Hat Linux?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Most of the times you find windows sucking.?
    the difference between those guys who are making Windows and those RHL is that the Microsoft people treat softs as commodity,and make it as according to SDLC(i hope you know what i am talking about.)whereas in Red hat,you find that CMM level is 0.all the improvement and development depends upon individual efforts...

bye!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

A Quick Rant

I just finished a hefty day's consulting, helping a company plan the removal of Microsoft from their operation.

First any remaining NT/Win2K servers are to be replaced by Sun or Linux, the new desktops will be Apple OSX machines, subject to backorder. Existing desktops change to Linux unless they are locked by some Windoze-only software. We find that once Microsoft is purged from a system, support costs drop by an order of magnitude.

Microsoft makes it as according to the Systems Development Life Cycle? Feh!

Microsoft's frantic copying of old concepts, their haste and lack of diligence leads them to carefully replicate all the mistakes while avoiding improvements. For them to be praised for finally getting twenty-year-old capabilities working on their OS is a triumph of limited expectations.

Consider the infamous security holes in every version of Windows, and Microsoft's invariable reaction to their exposure 1) deny 2) complain that by publishing, it's been made easier to exploit 3) issue a patch that doesn't work, 4) repeat 1 to 3 until the Windows version is obsolete or the patch works. Meanwhile, boasting about how secure Windows is. They have a point about 2), but it's their own fault, because if they're informed privately they do nothing.

Do you suppose that anyone at Microsoft has ever heard about re-entrant code? If you need to use a code segment 10,000 times you load it once and run it 10,000 different times instead of loading 10,000 copies of it - with 1000 different versions loaded from 1000 different locations and 1000 different entry points.

Microsoft is not a technology company. They do not hire people for their computing skills, they hire very clever people for their "street smarts". They are a marketing company, run by "gutter smart" salesmen. These folk have to either have an epiphany or fall on their swords. In general it turns out that they belong to the group described by guru Edsgar Dykstra - "A person whose introduction to programming is the Basic language is mentally mutilated beyond hope of redemption". Add the Win API to that.

Microsoft is like acne; it disappears with maturity and wisdom.

Peace.

By the way, I'm not gonna get dragged into a protracted discussion
    about this... I come to SciForums to get away from work-related
    issues. By all means post a rebuttal, but I am done along this line.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

A year or two ago the USA army dumped a HUGE number of NT servers and went over to Solaris.

8. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Huh. I knew they had moved their web site to Mac servers back in '99 (Mac OS because it has no command shell and doesn't support remote log-ins) but had not heard about others. Any details?

Peace.

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

It was a couple of years ago that I heard about the USA army moving a lot of servers from NT to Solaris. Can't find anything now.

10. Rick Valued Senior Member

Goofy,
    Still i dont understand why Bill Gates and Stvee Balmer are the richest in the world.are they running Charles Lucky luciano's commission?

I still find it hard to believe,if UNIX was sooo good,why is that it is not as popular as Windows?Macs also were there before Windows.they lost the race.(although i love my Mac.)

the truth is GOOFY,that most of the people use Windows,it is still very popular and yes Bill uses that monopoly.why not?if i were in his place i would do the same thing?most of us would.

I am not justifying Microsoft.But its not just about Windows.its about their technique of working.their software and management practices are well defined and documented.they follow these practices dutifully(Workers in MS).The CMM-level of MS is 5.How?if they make such Bad softwares,how do they have such levels?have they bought everyhting?...

Ms is bigger than what you think.its not just about god-dammed softwares.its spreading.its entereing the Hardware arena.Those cute Web TV thingie,Sidewinders etc...
    the spread has just started.what happens when Microsoft decides to buy out all open source code Boaster companies out there?it can do such a thing.off couse,then Jealous people would say the Monopoly thing.

SDLC:
    I meant software development life cycle.do you know how time is spent on Polling and realising feasibility(economic and technical)(that is the first stage of waterfall SDLC model)?hell lot, and far more than any other company spends.that is why i said they treat their OS as a commodity which serves all purpose.

Those loopholes you talk about in Windows.when my father was working on FSO(FREE SPACE OPTICS)networks CSMA/CD protocol design,(which i did later for his company incidently.)he had to work with BSD and others like SOLARIS for 24 hours.there was only SAT and SUN and when he used to get on to Windows,hell he felt he was getting nice entertainment stuff...
    Initially the whole hoopla looks good.but try and work with OSs like Solaris for six months,without sleek GUIs of XP,you"ll feel the difference.you"ll begin to like the Windows.At least i did like it,after running BSD on an Assembled PC with my roommate...

gee...

bye!

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

I am sorry,i didnt read your last passage.believe me in Science -Forums,there's nothing as good as a positive fruitfull discussion,giving knowledge to people about things they never used or did,or may enhance the knowledge with others experience sharing...

I think BSD and Solaris are <i>The</i>best OSs if you talk in terms of efficiency.

PS:I dont like LINUX much.(And i dont know why?

may be becasue its so...its so...common!!??

)

bye!

12. ImaHamster2 Registered Senior Member

Zion posted:

“Still i dont understand why Bill Gates and Stvee Balmer are the richest in the world.are they running Charles Lucky luciano's commission?”

This topic has been debated to death. However this hamster does feel strongly on this issue so will join GoofyFish in stating the hamster opinion while refusing to debate the topic further. (Disclaimer: The hamster designed and built a major application on the Mac during the late 80’s that required becoming a Mac developer. As such this hamster had repeated exposure to Microsoft excesses.)

Microsoft has through predatory business practices gained a monopoly stranglehold on PC software. The company has never been very innovative. (Despite Microsoft PR claims to the contrary.) Some MS software is good but most hasn’t been as good as competitor products that were killed by Microsoft’s intimidating business practices.

Microsoft now has sufficient financial, media, legal, and political power that it creates its own version of history and follows its own laws.

This hamster believes that Microsoft has significantly hindered software development over the last fifteen years and hopes that Microsoft power will be curtailed in the future. This hamster is pessimistic that this will occur.

13. Rick Valued Senior Member

How did Microsft stop others from developing their own software?couldyou just throw a little details?If IBM based computer had used DOS,then you should Blame IBM for monopoly begining.the IBM had Monopoly over the Market that time.it stood like a giant there.UNIX,that time(i think)was used in Universities for educational purposes,isnt it?(I amy be wrong,clarify.)

Hamster,
    you talk about Financial gains,the importance doesnt lie in situation today,but how Billy has achieved his status.I never wanted a discussion on MS,i just wanted to know that a guy like that with such a stupid OS could make billions out of that?He surely must have had great brain,his software company must be striving very hard isnt it?
    oh! and BTW MS's CMM level is 5 was 5 just after months of its buying of DOS from Tim Patterson of Seattle products...

So we should learn something from that man.

bye!

14. Rick Valued Senior Member

Your Title suggests:
    Complexity,

I can have Poll here to find out Which system is more complex a BSD or a Windows XP professional version...

bye!

15. Rick Valued Senior Member

Microsoft programs in C and C++,are you implying the coding in these languages arent reliable ?:bugeye:

bye!

16. Northwind Master of Anvils Registered Senior Member

Re: A Quick Rant

Now that's what I like to hear. I am on a dual G4 running OSX, my system and office are a totally MS-free zone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.