Why is it so weird for a "scene" girl to have good grades?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by KatxThexRipper, Jun 6, 2007.

1. KatxThexRipper Registered Member

I've been described as punk, gothic, scene, emo, freaky, you name it... But people are always surprised when they listen to me talk, see my grades, or find out that I actually LIKE to learn...
    I don't understand why. Have stereotypes even taken over how we see each other as intellectuals?.. Well, of course they have, but why?
    Do you have to get bad grades to be considered "cool"?
    Since when did smart go out of style? Belle in Beauty and the Beast... Smart AND pretty.... But she was seen as a nerd.
    So I guess there's a level of smart-ness... If you earn a reputation for being smart, it automatically makes you a nerd, right?:bugeye:
    <<33

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DanceAndExplode Fear me, for I am Death. Registered Senior Member

I totally understand what you're saying. Because 'scene' kids are supposed to be rebels. They dress different, so everybody automatically expects them to be rebels and suk at school.

Personally, i'm a pretty good student, and i'm straight-edge (very different from goth/emo/punk, i know), and i can cop alot of shit from people too. Mostly people just judge me on how i dress, what my hair looks like, and what kinda music i listen to (i used to kinda be emo, but straight-edge is more me).

Anyway, there's always gonna be someone who's gonna diss you, no matter what you're like, so i just don't let it get to me. Then i use my good grades to rub in their faces, when they assume i'm stupid.

Usually the people who judge, are just uneducated or ignorant.

Anyway learning is so cool!! lol. but seriously, if someone purposely gets bad marks to be 'cool', then they're just as stupid, if not more, that people assumed them to be... :shrug:

(i hope that makes sense... lol)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

What is a "scene" kid?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DanceAndExplode Fear me, for I am Death. Registered Senior Member

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Not to be confused with emo.

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Whats with all these labels for kids? I don't think we have that in Canada....if so i haven't heard it.........Straight Edge......Scene Girl.......

When I went to school there were just rockers, preppies, geeks and a few punkers very few.

10. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Ah-----and thus, the age old question of misunderstood youth.

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Aussies are notorious for their modified and modern form of thieves cant. If a word can be shortened, it is shortened. If you can get away with half a syllable, it's a done deal.

This habit is the only explaination I can think of, for summing up styles or lifestyles in one or two words.

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

KatxThexRipper,

Why give a shit about pre-packaged labels and what they are supposed to mean at all?

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Maybe she's a gangstalectual.

14. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Strange. Are you sure? That cant be. 'Scene' girls are all silly arent they?

15. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

in the u.k it's not realy emos skaters or whatever are usualy got good grades it's the chavs that don't have them that great but even now they manege to pull one out of the bag lol

16. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

I'm ashamed to say that made me smile.

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Where in Canada are you from Shorty? Northern Ontario? Your avatar looks kinda Cree; my wife's Cree.

18. Cortex_Colossus Banned Banned

I do not discriminate when it comes to nerds based on musical preference and failed attempts at being trendy.

19. Cortex_Colossus Banned Banned

Hey it's okay, me too.

20. draqon Banned Banned

lesbian emo than