NASA's recent budget cuts

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by orcot, Jun 1, 2007.

1. orcot Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I remember that movie. I loved it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What budget cuts have to do with the telescope? :bugeye:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

WHHHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!

We NEED radio telescopes! They should cut their spending on stupid missions instead! Like going back to the freakin' moon just to collect more rocks! WTF are they thinking!?!?!?! :bugeye:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

8. orcot Valued Senior Member

from D H's Link
    I would be very surprised if those people didn't have bonds with NASA and I'm somewhat puzzeled why this isn't comming from NASA's budget...

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

They are completely separate and distinct agencies. There's no interconnection between their respective budgets. Their assigned missions are also totally different even though both contain elements of space exploration.

10. draqon Banned Banned

Arecibo isn't for NASA...Arecibo is Astrophysics ok?!!...Arecibo is for people who only dream and look at the stars. NASA is about actual space travel not some useless alien hunting.

God (if you exist) thank you for stopping the fund to this useless Arecibo project.

11. orcot Valued Senior Member

in matters of space you have 2 sorts of people astronomes, who sit at home and use their brains and astronauts who'l sit on top of a million littre fuel tank that if all things works well blows you out of the sky.

Seti is pretty much important yust as the Arecibo telescope if only because they are pretty famous... considering fundings popularity is quit important.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Incorrect statements! Once again you step forward to show your ignorance of scientific things. :bugeye:

Evidently you are thinking of SETI and it's goals. Arecibo is a radio-telescope which performs much the same functions as an optical telescope but in other parts of the EM spectrum than visible light. Yes, it has been used by the SETI people on very short occasions but that is NOT it's primary function - far from it!

Perhaps you'd actually like to learn something for a change? (It sure wouldn't hurt you and would make you appear to be much smarter in the future.) Take a look at their mission statement here: http://www.naic.edu/global/naic_mission.htm and then spend a little time looking around their site to see what they REALLY do.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well, if they want to build a new one that is 20 times as powerful, then I guess the cuts are a wise decision after all. I was just amazed because Arecibo has been the best radio telescope for a long time... And we need radio telescopes...

It has a nice history though. I hope they don't demolish it or something... LOL!

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

I'm surprised Dragon didn't also mention scrapping the VLA as it is featured in the movie 'Contact', as he seems to get all his 'knowledge' from such flawed sources!

15. draqon Banned Banned

I see telescopes as waste of money. I see spaceflight as practical.
    What flawed sources? :bugeye: phlogistician?

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

How do we know where to fly to unless we look first?

Your posts range from the abstract to technically incorrect. I don't know where you get your information from, maybe you just make stuff up.

17. orcot Valued Senior Member

NASA's budget cuts are getting annoying they've got 0 missions planned like Galileo or cassinie and the've scrapped some good projects like the terrestrial planet finder... The most futuristics missions that show some potential are that next mars rover and that ion ship that will visit multiple asteroid

18. draqon Banned Banned

seems like Bush wasn't telling the truth. :shrug: Anyways, did you know Roskosmos is planning a Mars mission by 2020-2040?

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The terrestrial-like planet hunt is alive and well, did ya know?
    Not long ago, they found a very similar planet in a brown dwarf system close-by....

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but that doesn't count at all according to dragon. Why? because they used - gasp! - telescopes! And he says they are useless.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think you mean draqon.

22. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yep, typo.

23. orcot Valued Senior Member

the "terrestrial planet finder" was a/chould have been a space telescope rivalling the european Darwin telescope.

...Maybe... I don't now but take in mind that most exoplanets that get discovered are not discovered by americans, as far as I know most are detected by Europeans.