Pure acetone increases gasmilage

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Syzygys, May 14, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's very stupid for two reasons. First, yes - it's extremely dangerous. Beside that, acetone is MUCH more expensive than gasoline!! That's almost as smart as burning dollar bills to heat your house.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yes, but what is the cost per mile? Right now, I run about 15 cents per mile on regular unleaded. If the acetone trick works and I knock it down to 10 cents per mile, I don't think it matters how much I pay for acetone.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Good point. I always use the 87 Octane but I assume I would get better mileage with 93. Occasionally I add this carburator cleaner (it could be acetone as far as I know) and it increases the mileage by 2 mpg. It costs $1, so it is cheaper than buying Octane 93...

9. Facial Valued Senior Member

The less viscous gasoline is, the more fine the mist created by the injection. So my hypothesis is that it works, although I haven't tried it myself.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It's probably Ether based.

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Ahhh, but the trick in that statement is IF it knocked it down. Care to check the price of acetone and then recalculate?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(Hint: not going to work out.)

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well, I found a bottle online. It's 4 ounces of pure acetone for $0.99. Let's say it's $1.

The gas prices around my house are $2.88 (2.879). RIght now, I get 24 miles per gallon with my truck. So, it costs me 12 cents per miles.

Now, I have a 16 gallon tank and I am supposed to add 2 ounces per 10 gallons. That means I add 3.2 ounces. This cost me 80 cents. If I fill up then this costs me 16*2.88 + 0.80 = $46.88.

$46.88/16 = $2.93 per gallon.

IF the acetone trick works and I get even 25 miles per gallon, then I pay 2.93/25 = 11.72 cents per mile

That's a savings of 0.28 cents per mile. Multiply that by a 1,000 miles and I save $2.80.

Of course, I was being modest with the MPG rating I would gain. According to one site I read (which had fancy graphs) I should gave 20%... meaning I can go from 24 MPG to 28.8 MPG. With that kind of difference, I save 2 cents per miles. Over 1,000 miles that is $20, which at this price would almost buy me a half tank of gasoline.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

$0.28 * 1000 = $280

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What about environmental impact?
    Obviously more MPG is better, but what is the result of this?
    How is the exhaust affected?

15. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

No, I said 0.28 CENTS per mile. That's $0.0028*1000 = $0.028 = 2.8 cents.

Anyway, I am thinking about trying this. My truck is probably near the end of it's life anyway (306,000 miles).

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

In the video thre acetone increased the mileage by 30% or so... Not by 1 gpm

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Gotcha.

Please let us know!

18. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yea, but I was going a "worst case scenario." At the bottom of my post I said the claim is generally 20% increase in MPG... which I gave numbers for that, too.

But this is all based off $1/4oz of pure acetone.

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Also, what damage could it potentially do to your car?
    I presume the greater mileage is due to greater compression ratios.
    With standard valvestems, tappets, lifters, etc (as opposed to hight-performance) would they be able to withstand the greater combustion pressure and greater stresses?

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Source

I think I'm going to try it in my 2005 Magnum RT for a few tanks.
    I currently waver between 18 and 21 MPG.
    It's a 19 gallon tank.
    I'm going to fill it up with plus (my usual) and put 4 ounces of acetone in and see what happens.
    Then do the same with 3 ounces.
    I'll post my results.

21. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I think that mileage gains would come from greater conversion of the fuel to vapor, which isn't so easy to do in a fuel-injected system. A lot of the old systems required carburetted engines. There isn't much that you can do with a fuel-injected system to vaporize your gasoline using a turbocharger or a vortex.

Using acetone doesn't increase your compression ratio. That can only be done by mechanically altering the engine.

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Or by burning a more explosive fuel, no?
    Such as Nitrous Oxide injections?

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Here is a good website:

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2598

There should be a HUGE boost from very little acetone. Use 1-3 ounces for every 10 gallon. The only danger is to plastic parts of the fuel system, but most system shouldn't have any damage. Also watch for flamability...

Also discussion with results:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37124&pid=239724&st=0&#entry239724

One guy got a boost of 14 to 16, so if you already have a 26 or so you can eta 3 mpg boost....

People reporting their results:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

Last edited: May 16, 2007