Deciphering The Star Map

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by darksidZz, May 8, 2007.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I'm interested in knowing what you guys make of the starmap given to Betty Hill during an encounter with supposed alien beings. Below is a link to a diagram of this map along with information about it from Wikipedia (aka God brother; Google is still God)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8c/Zeta_reticuli.png/350px-Zeta_reticuli.png

In 1968, Marjorie Fish of Oak Harbor, Ohio read Fuller's Interrupted Journey. She was an elementary school teacher and amateur astronomer. Intrigued by the "star map", Fish wondered if it might be "deciphered" to determine which star system the UFO came from.

Assuming that one of the twelve stars on the map must represent the Earth's sun, Fish began studying star charts in hopes of matching the star map to known stars. Eventually, she concluded that the UFO might have come from planets orbiting Zeta Reticuli. As a result of Fish's hypothesis, some have dubbed the Hills' account The Zeta Reticuli Incident. Most Ufologists, however, continue to prefer the Hill Abduction or some similar term.

Fish sent her analysis to Webb. Agreeing with her conclusions, Webb sent the map to Terrence Dickinson, editor of the journal Astronomy. Dickinson did not endorse Fish and Webb's conclusions, but he was intrigued, and, for the first time in the journal's history, Astronomy invited comments and debate on a UFO report. For about a year afterwards, the opinions page of Astronomy carried arguments pro and con regarding Fish's star map. Notable was an argument made by Carl Sagan and Stephen Soter, arguing that the seeming "star map" was little more than a random alignment of chance points.

Recently, a new theory with regard to the map in question (as drawn by Betty Hill under hypnosis) has been proposed. Two German scientists, Koch and Kyborg, have proposed that the map was, in reality, drawn from the perspective of the alien spacecraft as it was positioned to the eyes of the Hill's in the solar system on September 16, 1961 along U.S. Route 3 near Lincoln, NH

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Do you still think there are canals on Mars?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Well, they can't both be right. Using the advanced three dimensional star display program Celestia I have found that Marjory Fish's interpretation of the map was far from accurate; it falls at the first hurdle, as the relative sizes and separations of Zeta1 and Zeta2 Reticuli are so inaccurate that the rest of the map makes no sense. I would venture that we can dismiss that.

I'll try the Koch and Kyborg interpretation out as well, but with little hope of success. Trying to fit an astronomical map in three dimensions to an essentially random pattern of dots and lines is an interesting diversion, but results in no usable information after much effort.

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Well after reading their explanation it makes more sense to me, however exactly how would an alien have a map specifically made for Betty? What logic is there behind it?

Also the alien would've known the limited nature of our interaction within space, how could it possible ask her where she was on the map and expect an answer?

The other thing here is simply.. the alien never said it was showing their homeworld, that sucks..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I wanna know where they come from bad

So now we're left with that question ,where do these aliens come from?

Also if they really setup mining on other planets it would be pretty damn impressive.

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

a good map would have been a 2 dimensional 360° panorama with the earth in the center whith a color code indicating the stars mass and perhaps also the brown dwarfs that could not have been detected at the time but soon will be.
    That chould have been easy for him... that our most simply open a web blog with a hello

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I'm sure someone already pointed Seti in that direction and, obviously didn't find anything, otherwise we would know it by now.

Oh well... who knows?

11. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Hey : tugs : hey :L if they're mining on other worlds couldn't we maybe learn to detect it? I mean we've got SETI, can't we aim it at the planets nearby and find signals or stuff?

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

As I said, they probably already did that...

We should aim the new telescope that is able to detect earth-like planets towards Zeta Reticuli. However, I think it might not be powerful enough to detect such a planet in such far away system....

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Assume this was really extraterrestrial. Open you're mind also to the possibility they are terrestrial....i.e from the future...or the past.

If we look at this purely objectively, you have to break down what we know, even drawing from other "incidents".

We really do not know the propulsion system. We have no way of knowing how fast they travel. We don't know if travelling to other star systems is even possible(at least to the point of having trade route), without travelling outside the box of relativity.

Ok assume relativity, so they are possibly suffering some pretty sever relativistic effects. Who knows how many years goes by on their planet and ours between "journeys" and how that affects them and us.

Frankly the statement the "alien leader" makes "If you don't know where you are, then there isn't any point of my telling where I am from.", could be a riddle. They could be from earth and ARE travelling and there is some strange (relativic or otherwise lol)effects going on. They could be from the future or the past. The Leader she said was "nordic" in appearance...very human. The greys have been theorized as being the result of cloning. This might also explain "interest" in biological samples collected in supposed incidents.

14. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately I know all the answers, these aren't humans...

Without going into the reasons the following is the true alien species

Insectoid aka Veloxi (named by me)

The came here, began merging their DNA or some other species with ours to make the nordics..

The problem is really this... the Greys aren't aliens, they're an initial hybridization attempt between us and the insect like beings, the nordics are the result of the refining process.

15. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Evidence?
    Evidence?
    Get the idea?

PS shouldn't this be in Pseudoscience?

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  16. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

No I don't, show me evidence you're even alive

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I never claimed to be alive. You're the one making the statements. Back them up.

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Sure chuck it in Pseudoscience....

19. orcot Valued Senior Member

A alternative?

20. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

21. orcot Valued Senior Member

silly joke never mind