No smoking

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by fishtail, May 8, 2007.

1. fishtail Registered Senior Member

You allergy ridden lot should put your worries in perspective, on a scale of 1 to 10 what is the likelihood of you dying from a sniff of tobacco smoke?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. vslayer Registered Senior Member

the statistics for deaths from cigarette smoke are grossly exaggerated. all the common ailments that used to kill people in old age ore now being named, and remote links are found between early stages of them and smoking. the reality of it is, that some people dont want us to smoke, and they are forcing their own views on us with the false impression that it is bad for your health(hey, im not going to deny it is bad, but its certainly not bad enough to justify a 300% tax on it)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

Smoking is really bad. I don't want to smoke. Anything that helps me not to smoke is good. 300% tax is fine. Tax it more. I wish I could give up. I'm a weakling. Soo weak. I'm starting to think about the money I spend on tobacco as a help to giving up. I'll save so much. Very good help to not smoke. But I still smoke. Smoking is really bad. I don't want to smoke.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Smoking is not the healthiest thing in the world but for it to become your killer there are other things that must come into play. Your genes, your general health, your weight, your diet, your living environment and your emotional stress levels all play a role as to whether you will get cancer or heart disease from smoking.

I'm 55 and I've been smoking 20 a day for 40 years, for 30 years I was also smoking 10 unfiltered joints a day. Last week I had CT scans of my heart and lungs, my lungs are healthy and my arteries are 99% smooth without stenosis, I have a spot of plaque in just one artery and on a danger scale of 1-1000, I scored 2, which is negligible. My cholesterol is considered dangeroulsy high at 300, but I refuse to take statins and I will lower it with more exercise and also correct my diet.

8. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

Passive smoking is the most rediculous thing that is allowed to happen. That's why everyone should follow the Republic of Ireland's fine example: SMOKING BAN!

9. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Well said, Tab. Some people are genetically prone to these things. Most of my relatives on my fathers side have smoked well into their 90's and passed away in their sleep. Most people on my mothers side seem to die of cancer, smokers or not. Fingers crossed I've got my dads insides!

You've got the added bonus of a mediterranean diet, too, I'd imagine. Unless you only eat kebabs

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Boo-fuckin-hoo. A fine example my arse, and if you hadn't noticed, the rest of the UK has or is about to very soon. Passive smoking is nothing. Stand in a city centre street full of buses and traffic and it's like smoking 40 a day.

The only decent thing about the smoking ban is that you get to talk to people outside. Instead of shouting a few words at each other inside pubs and clubs. Great chance to meet people. "Excuse me, got a light?" and start up a conversation. Good stuff.

Smoking isn't good for you, granted, but people deserve a choice. In some ways I'd advocate a complete ban, so that nobody had the choice, but it wouldn't be fair.

It's about time I gave up again though. Summer's here and I need to get some definition back on my moobs and beer belly.

And £4.78 a packet seriously dents the wallet. That robbing bastard, Gordon Brown.

10. sandy Banned Banned

Smoking stinks. And so do smokers. Their teeth are often stained yellow/brown. They can try to hide their stink but it never works. Their breath is disgusting. Their clothes and hair reek. Their fingers are gross. Their cars and homes are horrendous. They need to look at an x-ray of their lungs. Smoking affects every cell of your body. Why would anyone want to pollute theirs? Ugh...

uke:

11. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

my teeth are white. my fingers are normal. i dont smell bad. my home is pristine.

i have been smoking for 9 years this august.

12. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Bush's one-world government should institute a worldwide ban on smoking.

13. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Didn't Jesus smoke cheroots?

Praise be!

Everybody knows Iran illegally sell billions of cigarettes a year. I'd say 95% of industrial buildings in Iran are involved in the manufacture and sell of illegal cigarettes. Guaranteed we'll find at least a carton of cigarettes of Iran.

14. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

smoking is ok. It helps some nervous people to concentrate. just my
    observation of smoking ppl around me.

also, in developed countries where life expectancy is long, smoking
    could reduce the ageing of the population, and in turn could minimize
    government budget for pension/insurance... something like that.

15. fishtail Registered Senior Member

I wonder what would happen to the UK ecconomy if everyone stopped
    smoking, drinking alcohol, for just one week?

16. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Exactly. They'd probably have to close the hospital doors. Goodbye NHS.

I'm not denying there are a lot of related health issues that cost money to sort out, but I really think the government are milking smokers and drinkers for a lot more than they cost the NHS.

17. pinkiss Registered Senior Member

The worst exampe you could ever write.Im living in ireland almost 2 years the first thing which i saw here that kids from 10 years are already smoking in schools even worser irish you hash and all the shit without thinking that it is drugs.And most parents are okay if their child smoks in front of them at age 15

.The prices for cigaretes are huge in ireland but it doesnt stop others from smoking.I smoke aswell from age 14 and now im 20 and believe me i wish i never started because its poison and stupid hapid which leads nowhere.

18. vslayer Registered Senior Member

then stop. i have a really hard time believing all the 'addiction' crap. i smoke when im out at the pub with my mates, maybe 2 packs per weekened, then i go the whole week without one, no withdrawl or anything. sometimes i go for a month if im working weekends.

19. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

You should move, if you don't want to be here and we don't want you here.

As for smoking from 10 years of age, the Irish are very relaxed about drink and cigs and stuff. That's just the way we are. You said yourself you were smoking from age 14, where's the difference?

The amount of cigarettes being smoked have gone way down since the smoking ban. We're a great country for starting that off, and now everybody's copying us.

20. vslayer Registered Senior Member

youll just drive it underground by making it illegal. when the government put the huge tax increase on tobacco a few years back a lot of the marijuana growers started growing tobacco and selling it tax free at huge profit.