Deal or No Deal

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Roman, May 6, 2007.

1. Roman Banned Banned

Has anyone seen this?

It's really, really stupid and popular.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zardozi Isvara.... . 1S Evil_Lau Registered Senior Member

i vote for it

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Aren't all popular shows really stupid?

8. Roman Banned Banned

Good point.

But I don't think I've ever seen a game show that so totally lacks skill. You just guess numbers!

9. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

What's funny is that while I can one having to think whether not to continue playing or run with the money, the players actually think hard about what number to pick. It's all random.

10. Roman Banned Banned

In my stats class last semester, our prof figured out that the amount of money the dealer offers is more or less random.

11. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

It's actually a pretty brilliant show. They manage the squeeze the most amount of panic, anticipation and emotions out of the smallest changes in outcome for the entire game. Really, at any given point of the game, the probability of getting higher or lower bank offer than the one you have now is the same goddamn probability the entire time: 50/50. There is never, at one single point of the game, a good reason to not just let Howie play the game and pick the numbers for you.

And each decision someone makes really makes no difference at all, when looking at it from a probabilistic perspective. And every single decision creates more panic, anticipation and emotion, like in no other game I've ever seen. it's brilliant.

12. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

The reason for the show's outstanding success is its close mimicing of real life. As we can never be certain about certainty, logic or religion becomes our only hope. But no matter what we do we cannot escape the condition of uncertainty. This creates fear and other emotions. So when we look at others being subjected to the same thing in a simple setting, its as though we are seeing ourselves and re-enacting the "what ifs" of our lives.

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

This is not true. There are different strategies to try to reach the possible highest win.
    You can play this game online, takes 2 mins to finish a game. I can reach an average of 150K, which is way more, than what the average winner ends up.

The strategy is not in te picking of the numbers, that is random, but when to stop the game with the probably most money.

When I saw the game first I thought what a primitive concept. Then I got interested in the math part. The show is actually made pretty interesting compared to how simple the game itself is.

I love when people from an offer of let's say 80K (which is 1-2 Years salary for most players) end up with 5 K....

14. pgovenom Registered Senior Member

i hate that show my mum whaches it like evry day on 4 and it sucks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Genji Registered Senior Member

I was hooked on it but tired not of the game but of the fat badly dressed contestants. Plus perky people make me puke.

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

17. Roman Banned Banned

I averaged a million.

18. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

1,000! woot man.. woot.

19. Roman Banned Banned

I averaged ~220k.
    The trick is to get out early at an offer of 30k if you get midway through, and there are a bunch of unrevealed numbers on the left, and most of the 6 digits ones are gone.

As long as there are two boxes up that are both above 50k, open with impunity. Once you're down to only one box with 50k+, it's best to take the 30k the dealer offers.

20. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

It's TV at its worst.

1) Pick a shitty idea for a gameshow
    2) Pick a twat to host said gameshow
    3) Target housewives and other bored fuckwits to take part/be entertained
    4) If it takes 3 minutes to play the game at a normal speed, make it take 30 minutes, or better yet - an hour.
    5) Add an amazing phone-in competition. Calls cost £1 per minute, plus standard network charge. Texts cost £1.50, plus standard network charge!

21. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member