Americans lack critical thinking skills... why?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Watcher, May 5, 2007.

1. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

Ran across a few examples that illustrate American's lack of critical thinking skills:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many people in the US believe in UFO abductions.

Americans will spray insecticides in their kitchen as long as it says "safe for humans" on the label.

Americans believe that they have "saved" money if they buy something for $50 which has a crossed-out label of "originally priced at $100".

Americans actually send money to Christian faith healers which stage ridiculous TV shows. Benny Hinn anyone?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can you think of any others?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sandy Banned Banned

Ever been to a Benny Hinn crusade? I have. And I have seen things that blew me away. It's all about faith. Have faith, you'll receive. Have no faith, you'll receive nothing. Until you understand the Biblical version of signs and wonders you will never understand faith healing. It's the only kind I use. I can get rid of headaches in seconds, critical accident injuries in days, and maintain perfect health just by professing healiing scripture daily.

You are what you think/believe.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

and your lack of ojectivety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so do "many" people in europe, australia, asia, africa.

i've nevr heard of this.
    anyway "americans" mean more than one.

so do people from other countries

americans also send money to islamic faith healers that stage ridiculous TV shows.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

i would absolutely love to see evidence of this.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

9. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

I'll give you all my Worldly possessions if you can make my friend walk again (He can't feel anything below the chest).

10. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

Yes, leopold99 these were deliberate generalizations to get some feedback and discussion on the topic, which is: Why do Americans seem ot lack critical thinking skills?

I live there and I can tell you that in large part I am surrounded by suburban glass-teat hypnotized mushbrains than have precious little knowledge of history, political systems or anything that REALLY matters in terms of what their children will inherit.

Just look at any poll; many Americans can't even name the Vice President and have even less clue which party is a majority in Congress.

11. Bells Staff Member

You've made it too easy for me to even make fun of you now.:bawl:

Now I only feel pity for you.

There are different kinds?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So can I!

It's called a panadol.

Have those often?

Or you can just get your regular flu shots and take your daily dose of vitamins to achieve the same thing. I'd take the vitamins.

Indeed.

12. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

two reasons.
    1. lousy parenting.
    2. lousy schooling

do you believe in free will?
    if so then how can you get all crazy over the stuff you listed?

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

Lori 7 anyone?

15. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

Wow

I simply don't know what to say to that. Are you being serious or is this tongue in cheek?

16. Bells Staff Member

I was thinking more of a female version of IAC.

17. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

Free will? What are you talking about? One of the questions is: Does "free will" really exist in a culture where one's entire persona is forged from birth to adulthood by continuous exposure to television and other corporate media?

18. sandy Banned Banned

You have to be a Christian with unwavering faith to see this stuff work. Lukewarm wussy-@sses will NEVER get it. Doubters will get nothing (other than what the secular doctors/drugs/surgeries can give them.)

I don't care what anyone thinks. I know what I know. And I know faith/God works.

And to ghost: I am not interested in your worldly possessions. Get your friend saved/taught/educated/obsessed/determined/faith-filled/persistent in Bible-based Christianity, and on-fire for Jesus. Then take him to a Benny Hinn crusade. IF you and he have faith, he will walk again. There are NO handicapped people in any of the churches I attend.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

it wasn't meant in the political sense, but now that you mention it:
    http://michellemalkin.com/archives/000839.htm

maybe even IAC himself?

20. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

I have concluded that you ARE being serious, not just kidding around. I could not have asked for a better illustration of my original question.

21. Bells Staff Member

It's times like these that I actually miss Satyr.

So if he cannot walk again, he and Ghost are somehow lacking in faith? Is that your yardstick for faith? Only the faithful get healed?

You remind me of someone I know very well. Only difference between you and her is that you are American. Similarities are that you're both nuts and quite dangerous to society.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Safe to say these charitable people are the ones behind the war in Iraq (600,000 dead and counting, over 2 million displaced) and the previous gift of cluster bombs to Lebanese children?

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

if you consider goodwill industries donating to the military, yes.