Prenups

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Varda, May 4, 2007.

1. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I'm getting pressured by my father because he thinks I'm making a bad choice by accepting my fiance's choice of prenup. I was rude to him over the phone and it makes me feel guilty. Then I had a litte argue with my fiance over said prenup, as I tried to explain to him my father's opinion.
    It's ok now because I told him that we'll do it whatever way he preffers. I just have to deal with my family. It's nice that my father worries about me, but he just does it completely the wrong way.

My dad's reasoning (and mine to kind of) is that prenup is fine until the woman gets pregnant.
    Both spouses have equal oportunity to pursue their careers and buy stuff until one gets pregnant and has to quit work and stay home.
    After that, things stay the same for the man, but the woman becomes a housewife and has no income. Both are contributing to the family, but the woman is completely economicaly dependent.
    If by any chance the man becomes an asshole later in life, the woman just has to bear the abuse, or deal with the possibility of leaving the marriage with nothing.

Anyways, useless thread... I'm just little stresses over this and I thought maybe I should talk about it to vent.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I'm the first to post!

Also males use females for mating purposes, the baby is their reason for mating.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

varda
    if anyone puts conditions on your marriage then they do not love you.

sounds to me that you are marrying a very controlling person.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Marriage is B.S just live together and you don't need a pre-nup and if he gets you pregnant he still has to provide.

Again repeat after me "marriage(it's "certificate", it's invitation of accountants/government/banks/lawyers into YOU'RE LIFE) is BULLSHIT".

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I would suggest you get your own lawyer to assess the prenup, someone who is not known to your fiance and assess how well the prenup protects you. I also suggest you put in conditions that affect your fiance equally in case of any later problems.

Love is fine and all that, but practical considerations must not be overlooked.

9. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I am brazilian and dont have an US permanent visa. He is american and don't have a brazilian permanent visa. If you have a better idea than marriage, I'd gladly hear.

10. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Or in case her career takes off or through some other fortune she winds up being the one with the money. Good advice.

You can also put in conditional clauses to assure you get support if you divorce after having children and relinquishing a career. You will also want to think about what would happen if either of you suffer some sort of handicap or illness. If he has particular interests to protect there are also other options available besides a general, all encompassing, prenup.

Any contract is a serious matter and signing away without due consideration is a huge mistake. Take Sam's advice and have a professional review it for you.

~Raithere

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Are you marrying him to become a U.S citizen? One might understand the reasons for a pre-nup...

12. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

No, I'm marrying him because I love him. We have been living together here in Brazil for 6 months, and we were going to get him permanent residence, but his company in chicago wants him back.
    And I'm not going to become a US citizen.

13. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

well, the regimen of possessions in brazilian law has 4 options: full joint of possessions (everything belongs to both), partial joint (things aquired by both during the marriage belong to both), assessment of possessions (something like a prenup where things get checked and a special contract is involved) and full separation (things belong to whoever paid for them)

CGS (my fiance) is opting for full separation.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

15. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

The female is only for mating with, she is not the provider or caretaker, she is used to satisfy the neanderthal instincts we neanderthals posess. Homo spaiens are extinct cuz they tried makin woman do things..

16. John99 Banned Banned

darkskids are you really that clueless about women?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I would include a clause in case you cannot work and also for children, if any.

18. Gently Passing Registered Senior Member

Prenup = GET OUT NOW!!!!!

Seriously, if she wants a prenup, just break up with the bitch. It's easier and MUCH CHEAPER than getting a divorce which she is already expecting anyway, so why bother getting married?

:shrug:

19. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

...and you wonder why you can't find a girlfriend?

20. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Er, Varda is the "bitch".

21. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

She is a woman, he wants the prenup.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Thankyou, darksidZz: your grasp of the objectless post is overwhelming.