The Two Faces of "Right to Bear Arms"

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., May 2, 2007.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

1. Its a constitutional right of every American.

In that case, one should not need a license or a background check to buy one.
    One cannot be prevented from carrying a gun of any type, at any time anywhere.
    Anyone (including criminals) should be allowed to use one in self defence as a constitutional right.
    There can be no ban on the type of gun, since arms covers any type of arms.

2. Its NOT a constitutional right of every American.

Then STFU and live like other people on the planet.

What do you think?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carcano Valued Senior Member

There is a third choice...the one revealed by the actual wording of the amendment.

That the right of citizens to bear arms shall not be infringed in the context of a "well regulated militia".

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Ahh, but "we, the people" also have a Constitutional right to amend that same Constitution if we all agree to it. And the above amendments/laws have been agreed to by a vote of "we, the people".

What you're suggesting is simply removing any and all laws that came after the Constitution was signed ...which is, of course, a Sam-folly to the largest degree possible ....even for SamCDKey, which is pretty damned far out as it is!!!!

By the way, since ye're a fuckin' Indian livin' in India, why should you have any fuckin' say in how we run our nation and our laws?

Baron Max

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Perhaps you'd best read the exact wording before you make that statement.

Baron Max

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I thought the wording could be amended?:shrug:

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Huh? You can't change the Constitution as it was written, Sam. that would be like trying to change history!

The Constitution can be amended according to law and legal means that's even covered in the very same document. And, in fact, we've amended the thing about a gazillion times or more already ...much to the chagrin of many, I might add.

Baron Max

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So then what's the problem with clarifying whether it is a constitutional right of every American to bear arms or not?

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sam, what the fucks wrong with you tonight?? I just asked that he clarify the exact words of the Constitution ...IF HE WAS GOING TO QUOTE the fuckin' thing (as he tried to do and failed!!).

Have you suddenly turned off you're brain tonight?

Baron Max

PS - you should check the new National Geographic magazine ...it has a great article on the slums of Bombay. I'd call it Mumbi, but can't remember how to spell it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So is it a constitutional right of every American to bear arms for a possible revolt against the government (including cop, army, navy, air force, CIA or FBI etc) or isn't it?:yawn:

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yes, it's a Constitutional right for all Americans to own firearms. That right, however, has been amended so that Americans can't carry nuclear bombs and stull like that around on their hip. Okay?

Baron Max

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What about to defend themselves against the government? Can they attack the government if they feel they are under attack? And if the government amended it, isn't that a change in the original intent of the constitution? So what prevents another change?

15. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Good point sam,

As far as I understand it, the right to bear arms was included in the Constitution primarily for the very reason you've mentioned.

16. John99 Banned Banned

No it wasnt. In American law's peopole forfeit certain rights by their actions but the idea is to not let the actions of a few dictate the rights of others as is done elsewhere.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Does that few include the government?

18. John99 Banned Banned

yes, when people in the government break lkawas they do get prosecuted...um except for the president...i htink.

19. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Interesting.

That's not what I've read.

I read that the right to bear arms line was put in there so that, if the American people ever found themselves back in a similar situation to the one they found themselves in with the English, the people would have a protected right to rise up ( with said arms..).

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm I hope no one breaks the lkawas then, whatever they are.

Now, about the right to bear arms?

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

one, the other, or both
    1. you are amazed by america.
    2. you are obsessed with bashing america.

it's truly amazing sam that hardly any of your posts deal with the plight of indians.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Or I just like to think.

So what do you think of the OP?

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

yes, correct. ABOUT AMERICA.

what about it?