The Maher show

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Syzygys, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I have been watching it for years, but lately it got boring and irrelevant. I only watch now the first and last 5 mins.

Last night Kucinich was surprisingly funny and witty, now I can see how he got a 28 year old wife.

What I don't like about Maher the most is, that he doesn't get the Iraw war. He keeps criticizing it, but without mentioning oil? Last night it took 30 minutes when finally one of the guests mentioned oilwars. He was another comedian, just to show that only comedians get it.

Sometimes I wonder just how much critics realize that they are partof the establishment and it isn't a good business to rock the boat?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

Did you post about Maher before? Because someone else did and not to many people showed interest. Maher claims to be a "libertarian" but he is far from it. It would be really fun if he someone like David Duke as a guest.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

he has publicly asked david duke to do his show, actually.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, let's take this thread into a sligtly different direction.

When I hear Lou Dobbs or comedians criticizing the government, I have the feel that they do it in a certain boundary.

Like, you can criticize the war on terror, but you can not mention our oil policies. You can bitch about illegal aliens, but don't mention that corporate America loves them.

Thus the beef of the matter almost never gets mentioned, and that's why most viewers will never understand the situations.

After all Dobbs, Stewart and Maher all part of the establishment, they like it or not...I can't even say I blame them, after all if you have a 2 million per year salary, you would think twice about rocking any boat...

8. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

thats really weird that you say that...i had this conversation with my lady the other day...im trying to get her ready for the circus of american news. i have a notebook in which i make predictions every 6 months about the united states, based on what i see on european news.

i havent been wrong once, but with american news as my only source of info, i would never have been able to figure anything out.

9. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

Really? When? Duke should go on!

10. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

Correct! Any normal politician or entertainer has to limit what they say (assuming they aren't PC drones) which is why I stopped watching that show myself. Put Duke on and let the fireworks explode because he can say whatever he wants.

Hell, Bill Maher got canned for what he said about Americans being cowards. That isn't even that outrageous.

11. DubStyle I may be wrong, but I doubt it Registered Senior Member

Man, what a great group of prognosticators we have here on SciForums. Its uncanny really. Syzygys loves to tell everyone how he is rarely wrong with his predictions. The Devil Inside just told us all how he very rarely is wrong as well. We cant forget BillyT either, hes never wrong.

C'mon guys. Your egos are out of control.

On topic. I like Maher's show.

12. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

So let these guys make some predictions now so we can see how good they are.

13. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

god there are hardley any god fouroms on atm

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So far there hasn't been any prognosis in this thread, you idiot.

Now for tomorrow, I predict sunny 72 degrees...

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Maher has been tough on the war for oil point before; no specific episode ever goes according to any real plan, and any attempt to steer the as such would be graceless at best.

Remember, "When You Ride Alone, You Ride With Bin Laden".

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I used to like Maher, but he was also very hard on Ron Paul, not understanding his very simple point.
    The show's problem is that it is getting boring. They can't really get a good republican with argumentative powers, maybe I should get hired as the logical republican...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Even their left wing guests keep coming back, mostly actors. Can't they find some other representatives of the left? Also how about a real Muslim explaining their side??

17. DubStyle I may be wrong, but I doubt it Registered Senior Member

John O'Sullivan was on two weeks ago and was absolutely fantastic. What are you talking about?

What about that Sudanese woman who wrote that book Infidel he had on last month?

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

http://www.counterpunch.org/kanazi04212007.html

If you are talking about Hirsh Ali...

Several times they are having trouble to find a Rep to represent the other side, so the right wing representation is less then 30% on the show....

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's not what he said.

He said the guys who flew the planes into the WTC towers were not cowards.

And that got him fired.

20. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

He said that too but IIRC he took more heat for calling Americans cowards who bomb people from 30 000 feet.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

He did not call Americans cowards.

He objected to people calling terrorists "cowards" because they bomb civilians, and used the example of Americans bombing from 30,000 feet to illustrate the point.

Of course that's a really sophisticated argument, having two parts with a lot of deep ideas such as "if- - then" clauses, so the Republican voters immediately got lost and decided they'd been insulted somehow.

AFAIK he remains the only person fired over 9/11. Everyone else, apparently, was doing their job.

22. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

I don't remember exactly what he said 5 years ago but they were along those lines.

http://thebigstory.org/ov/ov-politicallyincorrect.html

What Maher said later in the show, however, is what made headlines. Panelist Dinesh D'Souza mentioned that he didn't think the terrorists were "cowards," as George Bush had described them. Maher replied: "We have been the cowards. Lobbing cruise missiles from two thousand miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building. Say what you want about it. Not cowardly. You're right."

I actually didn't really disagree with those remarks and was a fan of the show at the time. I'll watch Real Time if there is a guest I like.

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Again, they couldn't find a guest who was from the right. Or female...

Anyway, the last 5 minutes was excellent! His New Rules about not using 'oh, that is French" as an argument was right on the money. He listed quite a few things what the French have better than the Americans...