Tv

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by GRO$$, Apr 2, 2002.

1. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

What are your opinions on TV in general?

Personally, I like to watch TV, but never do because I can never find the time... I think it is a channel of information, faster than books, but not as well controllable (can't controll what you recieve as well)...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Death to TV!

Only thing I enjoy watching is 1)Jeopardy and 2)History Channel.

Everything else sucks! Oh, but I do like the Smurfs

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Due to suffering from an extremely tight budget (So tight Icouldn't afford a wallet to keep my moths in)

I became extremely annoyed when a "Television license inspector" came rapping at my door, asking if I had a licence for "Viewing the television".

I of course do not, but pointed to the fact that I don't pay rent or own the building here, I'm just a lodger. But the Tv license guy still said "you should have a licence".

Now I really felt like just blurting out "Licence... Mwhahahah, you can shove that suggestion up your @&%$!" but since anything I said was kind of legally bound, I just had to grit my teeth.

You see, I look at the world and I wonder is the UK the only bunch of countries that pay a Licence for watching a television?
    I look at the fact that Englands future is to join a United Europe, but does that mean that this licensing law will eventually be revoked?

Still no matter how much I ask I'm sure there would be an avoidance of answers and a point of "That is then and this is now".

So rather than paying a TV license, I've CUT OFF ALL MY ARIEL CABLE PLUGS, so it's now impossible to watch TV (well unless I reapply the plugs, but I'm not going to out of Protest)

So BeeB (BBC) and your cronies... no pennies for you for now, maybe if I made enough money to buy stuff and have a "Desposible income" would I even consider to reattach the cable plugs.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So rather than paying a TV license, I've CUT OFF ALL MY ARIEL CABLE PLUGS, so it's now impossible to watch TV

Good move Stryder. Keep it that way.

And welcome to a world without TV.

You're gonna love it.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's funny in away, I don't know what the current events are, and quite frankly I don't really care.

Although if there is ever a mass evacuation of the planet, guess who's not leaving because he didn't get the message.

9. shooting star Registered Member

re tv

There is nothing on tv to watch anyway, sooner watch video or dvd, or go out walking.

10. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

T.V. isn't evil, however its becoming less and less important as we strive for a free thinking, interactive media network. The internet in general, video/computer games, chat rooms, file sharing, and message boards personify this. We scorn T.V. because we aren't active participants in it. Older generations want to be told things, especially in a linear fashion, beggining, middle end, dualistic moralites/values. We want to come up with our own opinions and interact with our media and others that are interacting with it.

T.V. isn't evil, just another tool when surfing the media.

P.S. No I don't feel T.V. is rigidly controled by "the Elites". If anyone has read the propaganda model by Hermon and Chomsky I feel its outdated in most cases.

11. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

TV ...

Two VCR's: One for regularly watched programs, other for time
    conflicts or one time only ... Sometimes, something I want to add
    to my collection.

See what I want, when I want, and f.f. through the commercials.

Before my kids gifted me with a VCR, hardly watched TV. Too
    many other things to do in the evening.

Take care

12. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Oh Stryder,

I would give anything to have the opportunity to pay a TV license and to obtain the service that that provides.

USA TV is atrocious compared to the British services. And the commercials here are incredibly intrusive and far more frequent than anything on British TV. Some shows here really do have more commercial time than showtime.

But to have high quality commercial free channels similar to that provided by the BBC is just a dream here. Your TV license fees goes to provide the BBC with the funding they need to provide you with commercial free TV – that is worth it and very cheap.

Gladly pay the fees – you don’t know when you have something good.

Cris

13. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

TV usage.

If you ignore or don’t watch TV then are you missing a lot, IMHO.

TV provides a massive amount of information and entertainment in a way never before possible in the history of the human race. To not take advantage of that and enjoy such a medium is I think kinda dumb.

The problem is not with the TV but with how you choose what to watch and how you perceive what you watch, and how frequently you watch.

If you watch nothing but brain numbing soaps and game shows then I have no sympathy for your dying brains. If you use TV to obtain information about the world in which you live then it is a fabulous development.

When I am home I have a TV on usually continuously. I have selected to have only around a 100 channels since I insist on a very fast channel surfing facility. But usually I scan between the 8 news channels I have.

I can absorb news information as well as operate my PC at the same time. The TV gives a great and current view of news headlines. When I need something more in depth I drill down through the Internet.

Using the TV for entertainment I watch some sci-fi, or I plug in a DVD.

Like most modern technology the TV can have a benefit as well as a disadvantage. As a way to see what is happening in the world it is superb. How it is used depends on the discretion and intelligence of the viewer.

It seems it is currently fashionable to say that “intellectual” people do not watch much TV – that is bull. Most people watch an incredible amount of TV, but somehow people don’t want to admit it, as if only idiots watch TV. Well I’m not a hypocrite, I love watching TV and I watch a lot of it. And I have no problem with that.

Cris

14. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

i think tv stunts creativity

15. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Why?

16. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

because everything on tv is visualized and created for them. with books they can create thier own worlds and think of how they think things look like. kids strapped to the tv become mindless zombies when you should go out and play and learn social and life skills.

17. Robeson Registered Senior Member

I havn't the time for the idiot box.

18. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

It isn't "The idiot box" merely a tool. You can't sit back and be passive observer and neither can you belive its completely controled. Its just another media source that you must conciously filter, and a rather absolete media source at that.

Hey I found a quote from Douglas Rushkoff I was looking for, for this thread:

(after a discussion an video games, and interactive media)
    "When Dan Rather or Tom Brokaw shows up on the eenig news, the screenager doesn't experience this broadcast as the gospel truth. To him, its just a middle age man playing with (the screenager's) joystick." - From playing the future, by Douglas Rushkoff.

P.S. Please no dirty jokes.

19. Meghan May all beings be happy Registered Senior Member

My TV is always on, but I don't always watch it. I'll have the radio on, or I will be reading. Bravo shows awesome stuff. Mostly I just use it it for visual while listen to the radio.

20. kmguru Staff Member

I mostly have the programs recorded for viewing later. I watch news, documentaries and sci-fi TV series. Between, TV, Internet and 30 magazines I receive in the mailbox - I only have time to scan fast...

I wish, I could record my favorite shows on a hard drive and watch it on my computer while doing other work. I have to get a distribution amplifier and some good software and 500 GB of storage...one of these days...

TV is just another source of information like books or audio tapes...

21. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

I was thinking about this more... let's look at how information has been passed down through the ages...

Way, way back in the day we were apes (IMO) and we didnt pass information down at all. When the members of the comunity got old and couldnt do physical work, they died because they could no longer benefit the community.

Then, people realised that older members were wiser and knew things... they began learning from their older members and passing on information by speech.

Later came books, where information was written down and reread by many.

Now came TV. This is the people born mid to late 1900's, 1960's or 1970's, maybe even 1980's... TV passes information faster than books. You can watch a movie in an hour and get the same amount of info as you could reading a book for several days... The downfall, though, is that you cannot select the information you watch as well as you can with books or magazines.

IMO, the next media of transfer is (and will be) the a mix of TV and Internet, which takes the TV's speed of information transfer and uses the Internet to help you select the media. Already, when I needed to find information on Big O Notation for a programming in school, I could listen to lectures and see slideshows from colleges across the country... Relatively soon, all of the internet will be streaming video and you will be able to pull up any TV show from any time or any segment or summary thereof without commercials on the Internet at any time anywhere... allowing full visual and sound information transfer from the distributor to you at your selection.

Future generations will simply be able to learn faster and easier than we...

Back on the subject of TV... it is a fast, slightly inefficient way of information transfter, yet nothing is perfect the 1st time round, and it will be improved in the future...

22. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I know what you mean..... Kinda like background.

Also, GRO$$, that's kind of the jist of what I was saying, but not only is T.V. Absolete because you can't pick and choose as well, it isn't particapatory. Media Conglomarates (sorry about spelling) control what is put on television. Everybody can put anything on the internet, this message board is a Perfect example of what I mean when I say participatory or interactive media.

23. kmguru Staff Member

That is true today too. Most complex systems fail because those experiences are not passed on to the younger ones. This happens because companies do not realize the geezers have any value. So 75% of IT systems fail....companies go out of business (Stage stores, Exodus, Polaroid, Bradlees, KMart...)

It is difficult to learn how to ride a bike from the Internet...