Fake news vs. "real" news

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Syzygys, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

"A new study by the Pew Research Study shows that viewers of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report have the highest knowledge of national and international affairs, while Fox News viewers rank nearly dead last."

Source: http://thinkprogress.org/2007/04/16/daily-show-fox-knowledge/

I had another story stating the same: an elementary schoolgirl had the best knowledge of today's politics in her class and she got it from watching the Stewart show...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Is this supposed to be a surprise?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

I found this comment to be amusing:

"What an upside-down world … we lefties watch Colbert and Stewart for our news, and FOX for a good laugh (while right-wingers watch it to confirm their beliefs, I guess)."

Heh.

- N

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Remember, though, in Jesusland, Middle America, and Scarborough Country, at least, beliefs are the most important thing. It doesn't matter to FOX News viewers what the facts actually are: "No fact has the right to tell me what to believe!"

After all, facts are just another liberal-elitist conspiracy. Right?

8. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    It's like the song says...

Facts are simple and facts are straight
    Facts are lazy and facts are late
    Facts all come with points of view
    Facts don't do what I want them to
    Facts just twist the truth around
    Facts are living turned inside out
    Facts are getting the best of them
    Facts are nothing on the face of things
    Facts don't stain the furniture
    Facts go out and slam the door
    Facts are written all over your face
    Facts continue to change their shape

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The other day I had the opportunity to spend hours in front of a television, catching up on the state of television news and reappraising the view of the world one gets from sources like the BBC, NPR, PRI, and PBS. Let me just say that it's a vastly different world once we put aside such minor-league players as the Beeb or National Public Radio in favor of the reputable outlets such as CNN, MSNBC, and FOX.

One of the stories that circulated on the big three (four) cable newstalkers was the state of Al Gore's non-campaign for the presidential nomination. On both the CNNs and MSNBC (including Tucker Carlson, who compared San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsome to Hermann Goering) the story focused on a release from Gore's team and folks close to him who say, "No." And it wasn't so much that FOX didn't believe those claims, but rather that instead of talking about the question of whether Gore will run, they spoke of his campaign as if it was an actual fact, and one would not know from the first reports I saw that Gore's team had even said anything. I found it interesting that conservatives fear Al Gore so greatly that they would focus on the notion of an unethical "shadow" campaign while completely omitting available source information.

Certainly this is a small story compared to others, but the incident does show one way FOX devotees and other conservatives are hostile toward the notion of a fact.

I agree with Killjoy's reminder, but at some level, aren't facts simply that? People might argue over whether gravity is a "natural force" or "God's will", but the analogy here is that the folks over at FOX have decried gravity as a liberal-elitist conspiracy, and thus dispute its existence.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Talking Heads, right?

11. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

You are correct, sir !
    Crosseyed and Painless, from the Remain In Light LP.

12. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

I have to admit, I found it difficult to believe the bit about Colbert/Stewart watchers being the best informed, so to speak.
    Guess it's because I'm not particularly a fan of either, so I haven't watched 'em enough to notice more than what seems to me a somewhat "formulaic" (ie - bash the "Establishment" and all it's works) sarcasm bereft of much substance.
    I'll have to check back.

No problem at all believing the Fox crowd comprises the dim bulbs, though...
    They have a slogan which should read more like We decide and You absorb.
    I think the biggest proponent of this notion on the network is Sean Hannity. The guy is absolutely ruthless in his single minded pursuit of whatever he has determined is the reason that liberals are behind the crisis of the day.
    He'll re-work and re-phrase questions and ask 'em 4-5 times trying to get just the answer he's looking for !

I guess I find "Insanity" and his skeletal sidekick "Bones" funnier than the avowed comedians, because I watch the sumbitches on a regular basis.
    Even their opening act "O'Smedley" can't match Sean's hillarious antics.
    Between trying to twist the world to fit his Twilight Zone-esque hallucinations, and the way he gets all misty-eyed over all things Ronald Reagan, it's a bloody riot !

13. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

It's because shows like theirs tend to point our contradictions and other BS in the media.

- N

14. Roman Banned Banned

Did you know that people who read books of math jokes also happen to be, on average, more knowledgeable about math than people who don't?

15. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Group hug.

Y'all like to be touched in just the right ... er, left ... places.

You're not looking for enlightenment. You're looking for auto-stimulating reinforcement.

You're all big hunks of male pulchritude.

No, really.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its true though, I watch Faux News whenever there is an "incident", it's fun to see them flapping about like headless chickens.

17. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Yet headless chickens are worthy of your intellectual investment as opponents worthy of debasing comment.

Surely you entertain no true fear of actual headless chickens. We've never before seen you similarly comment on chickens factually dispossessed of their heads.

So, one must suspect that you fear not headless chickens but something more than you can intellectually bring yourself to acknowledge as worthy of oppositional comment.

That something isn't failing to exist. The failing is your intellectual inability to accept the viable existence of that something exists without your permission.

Your flaws are showing.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Murdoch is buying Dow. Get ready for the Faux News edition of the American economy!

19. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

I thought you were home.

My mistake.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

21. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Fox News = Truth
    CNN = Bullshit

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I guess another idiot is going on my Ignore...

23. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

[ENC]Fox News[/ENC].
    [ENC]CNN[/ENC].

Last edited: May 4, 2007