New Worlds

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by hypewaders, Apr 25, 2007.

1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Habitable planets are a statistical certainty, however far out of traveling reach. I doubt that this one will change the Zeitgeist. What about when we achieve the capability to seed terraform planets far removed in space-time? Which leaves me wondering if our pioneering genes will be evolved or engineered away centuries before the New Frontier.

Which leaves me feeling so out of place.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Gliese 581 c is five times the mass of Earth, but just might have liquid water; it might even be a water-world.
    I've made some images of the planet;
    A pic from space;

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

the clouds are pinkish because the star is a red dwarf, but the star itself doesn't look very red; it is in fact as red as an ordinary incandescent lightbulb.

A view of star-rise as seen from the surface of GL 581 c, and compared it to Sunrise on Earth, using Celestia.
    I've assumed several things;

1/ the planet is a waterworld;
    2/you can see the star from the surface
    3/it is tidally locked (this means the star-rise goes on for ever if you are on the terminator)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Note how big the star looks compared to the Sun; it is, in fact, quite a bit smaller than our star, but the planet is much closer

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I'm ready to book a vacation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

On second thought, no: The trip's bad enough, but the constant 5 gs after arrival would really get tiresome. I guess humanly "habitable" is in the eye of the beholder.

8. Vega Banned Banned

space colonization is not gonna happen overnight. It's gonna take at least another generation to become reality.

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Five times the mass is not equivalent to five time the gravitational acceleration at surface.

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

The unnamed planet Gliese 581c is most proberly the secondairy planet of it's solar system the first one being a neptune sized 16 earth mass planet. that is 5 million km away rouhly 10 times further then the moon is from our planet I wonder if that could give regular eclipses.

anyway under the asumption that the planet is 1.5 times larger then earth (the mass is pretty certain). It would gave a surface gravity of 2.15 g
    ... according to wiki I might be wrong abouth the mass but I get 2.2g if it's 2 times the size of earth and 2.9G if it's 1.5 times the size of our earth