Is Earth The Only Planet With Life?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by darksidZz, Apr 25, 2007.

?

Answer

Poll closed May 2, 2007.
  1. There is life elsewhere in the universe, it's not confined to Earth

82.1%
  2. There isn't any life elsewhere except on Earth, it's unique

7.1%
  3. I've not decided, it's to difficult to choose yet

10.7%
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I won't comment, I seek confettered statements from those of you on the forum. Is life unique to Earth? Does it exist elsewhere? Is Earth truly the only place capable of springing forth living beings? It's perhaps the most important question I've ever to post to you, thus I ask you consider it very carefully. Think on what you've learned regarding the universe... is it a real possibility... or are religious fanatics right at least about 1 thing?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Maybe, maybe not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Can't you make a definitive choice, jeez

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Not without solid evidence either way.

8. orcot Valued Senior Member

everything that happens can happen again and usually it happens a lot... like winnning the lottery the odds are small and there are 70000000000000000000000 (rough gues of current) interested at the moment and some even bought more then one ticket. Anyway if Mars would turn out to have life then there probebly more extreterretrial species then their are asses to fill with probes.

9. draqon Banned Banned

The fact that we exist and there is indeed life in this universe means that life can indeed exist elsewhere, were the conditions like ours are the same.

Of course currently we are looking for terra-like planets but in reality I believe that other non-terra like planets can harbor life...like silicon based...or artificially made (by other intelligent species...or those who made us). This is of course speculation and we need to explore universe to prove and disprove it.

10. Carl Sagan Registered Member

Extraordinarily equivocal

N = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL

N* represents the number of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy

fp is the fraction of stars that have planets around them

ne is the number of planets per star that are capable of sustaining life

fl is the fraction of planets in ne where life evolves

fi is the fraction of fl where intelligent life evolves

fc is the fraction of fi that communicate

fL is fraction of the planet's life during which the communicating civilizations live

N, the number of communicating civilizations in the galaxy

You do the math-anti-optimists

11. draqon Banned Banned

well Mr. illusional Carl Sagan, none of these is known in the universe. So this equation is useless. Sure we are the only civilization we know of, but that doesn't mean there are and there are not any other civilizations.

12. psyfi Registered Member

Has anyone seen the ufo challenge on thefinalchallenge.com? If they've got proof, that's the place to go. Personally, I think we're alone.......so alone. Seriously, if there's life out there, they'd want to visit here about as much as I want to visit Ethiopia. Nothing of intrinsic value. If we ever discover life, we'll have to do the finding.

13. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

yeas we are the only planet with life i know this becuase i am a legend!

14. Carl Sagan Registered Member

Mathematically, probability falls infavor of extraterrestrials. At least at a microbial period of evolution.
    Evidence of absence is not the same as absence of evidence.

You are correct in asserting that Drake's Equation is possibly inaccurate.
    However, we have formulated general mathematical values for some particular variables based on deductive reasoning.

I guess the question arises, do you agree with the feasibility of extraterrestrial life? When you stare into the enigmatic vastness of our marvelous cosmos, do you ask yourself what you would do if you found the anwsers to all your questions in a single constellation?

15. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

There is a new discovery! They found a planet that can sustain liquid water!

16. Carl Sagan Registered Member

You also have to remember that we can circumscribe particular areas. By this I mean, we can apply this equation to individual areas.

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I thought you were dead?

18. Carl Sagan Registered Member

Curiosity(extraterrestrial life) killed the cat
    But satisfaction(Europa) brought it back.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. psyfi Registered Member

They couldn't possibly know if that plane could or does have water on it. The report said, it could be water...it could be ice. It's temerature is somewhere between 32 and 104...ie: it's hot or it's cold. They shouldn't have even reported on it.

20. Carl Sagan Registered Member

Have you ever woke in absolute curiosity of possibility?

I have and it has made me quite the scientist.

21. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

But the awe was not so humbling, I gather.

22. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

The history of the Solar System strongly supports the notion that life exists elsewhere in the universe. It also strongly suggests that intelligent life is extremely rare.

We might be the only intelligent life in our galaxy.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You need another factor for the distance between the planets. We cannot be certain that FTL communication is possible. Therefore in order for two civilizations to communicate effectively, they have to survive long enough for light-speed communication to make at least one complete round trip.

The percentage of stars in the universe with planets that host civilizations can be so incredibly tiny that those planets are 10,000 light-years apart. Nonetheless that is a lot of civilizations in the universe. Still, the two closest ones have to survive for 20,000 years after the invention of electronic technology in order to communicate.

We've only had radio for a century. Will we endure for another 19,900 years so we can have a conversation with somebody?