Jon Stewart kicks McCain's ass

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Syzygys, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Last night's show was brutal....

McCain kept talking over Jon, and considering that Jon actually likes McCain, he was pretty hard on that asshole.

McCain kept repeating the mantra, and actually got booed like twice. It is a sad state of affairs that only comedians ask serious questions....

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

McCain looked like a complete idiot.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

There seemed to be a time when McCain was more of a centrist and had a foothold with a lot of democrats. That time has passed. It's like how Bush squandered the goodwill of the international community post-9/11. McCain went from a likeable candidate to drinking the Kool-Aid in nothing flat.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I used to like McCain, and he used to actually logically question everyone, including the president and his party, but the past couple years, he all of a sudden just started to agree with them on everything, telling us we shouldn't question the president cause it hurts this and that, including the things he used to be against. What-the-fuck-ever. Talk about a sell-out, but that's nothing new in the realm of politics.

Man, ever since the 2000 elections where the Bush campaign totally character assassinated McCain to give Bush the nomination, talking crap about him and his wife, making him out to be a traitor for his duties served in the military when captured, Bush should be the last person McCain ever trusts yet it seems the people that control this country from the shadows finally got to him. Question nothing.

- N

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Jon Stewart is scheduled to be on a serious talk show with Bill Moyers Friday night. Check it out.

McCain is a chameleon. He has no scruples and no honor. He says whatever he thinks people want to hear, and being from my old stomping grounds of Arizona, he has a pretty warped sample of the population to base his opinion on.

I think it's very telling that even though he has Barry Goldwater's seat in the Senate, one of the biggest regrets in his life is that Goldwater never spoke to him. For all of my disgust with Goldwater, he was a man of honor. (By the standards of American politics.) McCain is not. (By the standards of American politics.)

It's difficult to get down and see what's inside him, but he seems to consistently be an authoritarian. He thinks the government knows best and we should all do what they say. Yeah right.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  9. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Bill Maher's show is actually really good, except it seems like he is the only one who ever has an opinion in most episodes. Most of his guests say the same things I read on forums, almost word for word(then again I've seen only 2 episodes to date).

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Can you post a YouTube or does Comedy Central have online?

11. Genji Registered Senior Member

I agree 100%. McCain was a sensible moderate Republican. He chastised Bush and his circle of fools and he stood up to the US Christian Taliban. Now, he has disintegrated into a joke. Rightists don't like him, moderates don't like him either. He's the Dukakis of the Republicans now. Hang it up John, you wrecked a great political career.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

13. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Omigod. Did you invent "drinking the Kool-Aid" as a slang term just now? I presume that you are referring to the mass suicide/homicide masterminded by Jim Jones almost 30 years ago. What a strange and interesting way for that to pop up now.

14. Genji Registered Senior Member

I'll never forgive Maher for unleashing that whore Ann Coulter onto the media stage.

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

It was OK but Jon didn't dig into the issues as much as I would have liked. McCain seems like he's a bit slow in the head? Maybe it's age or he is extremely busy and tired?

Regardless, McCain doesn't offer anything novel and some of his eariler rhetoric is a bit scary.

A vote for McCain is a vote for the status quo (or even worse)

Michael

16. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Do you suppose Jon Stewart could have survived a North Vietnamese prison as long as McCain did?

I'm not a big McCain fan politically, but I respect him more than I'll ever respect anyone who never survived the same hardships as he has.

And that's the point: Respect isn't about agreement. It's about respectable accomplishments.

What have any of you done lately to even approximate McCain's demonstrated accomplishments in service to his country?

What has Jon Stewart ever done that he risked as much as McCain has?

Nada.

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

What is this? A pissing contest? I actually thought Jon went easy on McCain. McCain is admirable for having survived such hardships and then to go on to pursue a political career to to try and rectify problems he perceives in the government. That doesn't necessitate that his policies are good ones. We also need people like Jon to ask the tough questions of which the many in the media seem loath to do for fear of losing a sponsor or from pressure at the top (which many Fox news casters felt and subsequently quit).

So what has Jon don't in service to the USA? He's probably been one of the best media personalities at trying to get a younger generation interested in the actions of our politicians and politics in general. Well worth many praise IMHO.

MII

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sorry folks, I meant to write BILL MOYERS, not Bill Maher.

Friday night, April 27, on PBS. Jon Stewart (and others) with Bill Moyers.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Really, folks...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Sgt_Fury Registered Senior Member

Given the title of the thread that is clearly what this entire topic was infact set up to be, what your only happy so long as everyone agrees with your liberal psycho-babble?
    Yeah I've always thought it is classy to ask a guest a question and talk over him if he trys to retort, or answer that question in anyway, and raise your voice over them at every opportunity....that is class. Even more so when they did in fact sacrifice what McCain has for this country, and your back ground is a comedian.....really classy.

I agree 100%......I don't think his service or any politicians service, means in fact we should follow them anywhere they'd like to take us, but you should in fact show them respect.

You're kidding right? We need people like Jon Stewart to ask the tough questions? Not Charlie Rose? Not Jim Lehrer? No we need a comedian whose success is based on slashing people with one liners to get laughs and applause, THAT is your answer to solve serious problems which could cause a world market collapse, and or a regional war engulfing several more countries? Ya know don't get me wrong Jon has made me laugh many times over the years, but if i got to pick the guy to ask the "tough" serious questions that need to be asked I might just look outside of Comedy Central for that man.

Yes he's done for serious news, what Stan Lee did for Classic Literature......great he's popular, great people who before couldn't even spell most foreign leaders can ID their pictures, but the great majority of Jon Stewart fans have neither cracked a serious book on either military history, economics, foreign cultures, or history, or even traveled to anywhere outside of North America.....If The Daily Show is yoru source on the "serious questions" our nation faces....you've just put yourself in the idiot pool......it's a place to laugh......but it's as useful a news source as the comic section in the news paper.

Gonna co-sign with Mr. G. McCain whether or not I agree with him or not....(and he's too liberal for my taste, and so is Bush for the record) But whether or not I agree with him, he deserves respect for his service, and what he went through most of you will never be able to imagine, he's EARNED his stripes...., and Stewart acted like a classless prick talking over him no different the Bill O'Riley does who i also can't stand.....or Coulter, or any of the many would be political pundents out there masking themselves as serious when their just bad hack entertainment.

Cya at the polls in 2008.......

21. broadandbeaver 'Now I am become Death Registered Senior Member

what planet you from?

22. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

In another thread I predicted that McCain would win the Republican nomination. I must reconsider that, since he's shooting himself nowadays. But most Republicans won't know that going to the polls. They'll just see McCain's two-syllable American-sounding name next to Giuliani's four-syllable foreign-sounding name. So it's a toss-up between them, all things considered.

Thankfully Fred Thompson's emergence nullifies my earlier prediction; assuming he officially runs, he's a shoe-in to win the nomination. Not only is his name even more American sounding than McCain's, but also there's no better candidate to a Republican voter than an actor. Since his voting record is immaterial, really the only thing against him is that he plays a somewhat liberal role on Law & Order. Like, he argued against a father who said he murdered his daughter's teacher because he felt the teacher was bringing the wrath of God onto his daughter by teaching evolution. I don't see how the churches could endorse Thompson after that.

23. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

If Thompson's campaign manager were worth his/her salary, they would already be shooting a TV version of the Left Behind series, with Fred starring as the most righteous charismatic in the story.