Poor People for Fuel?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., Apr 23, 2007.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Imagine you could make fuel out of poor people. The only downside is that the poor people have to be converted to a combustible liquid in the process. Imagine that although there are many alternatives to using poor people as fuel, those alternatives cost way more. In fact, the alternatives are so much more expensive, widespread use would impact your standard of living by about twenty percent.

Obviously using humans for fuel would be wrong and you wouldn’t do it. But I’m not done confusing your moral compass.

Now let’s say the people who are used as fuel are volunteers, of a sort. For every twenty people who volunteer to become SUV fuel, only one will be randomly selected. The other nineteen get a host of benefits including pensions and paid educations. Let’s say human fuel is so economical that one human converted to fuel pays for the benefits to the other nineteen. And the one poor person fuels an entire town’s energy needs for a year.

In this scenario, you’d be powering your car with liquefied poor people, but your conscience would be cleared by the knowledge they all volunteered. It’s a free country. They took the chance of being one of the nineteen lucky ones, but it didn’t work out. Some volunteered because they thought it was their best chance for upward mobility. Some thought it was their patriotic duty. But it was their decision. No one forced them.

Let’s say the politicians argue that in the long run, this policy of using poor people for fuel will save lives. The thinking is that we’ll eventually develop other fuel sources, but for now we need the strong economy to pay for health care and a strong national defense against terrorists and whatnot. All of the volunteers are hailed as heroes.

Under those conditions would you use poor people to fuel your car?

Bonus question: Are you already doing something close to that?

-Scott Adams General Nonsense.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

You overestimate your plight! I would be the first to volunteer! I would much rather be made into fuel than to exist poor, and right now without living at home or with my sister I'd be poor + homeless. Let us agree it is better to not exist than to exist in starvation.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Oh for God's sake.

<Lengthy pause>

Is their consent informed consent, ie are they au fait with all the issues? ie are any of them darksidZz?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tyler N. Registered Senior Member

how poor?

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

The "poor" are army volunteers.....

Can I have a cookie?

9. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Soylent Green Is People!!!!!

10. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I agree Nickelodeon, you are accurate in this assessment.

11. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Nickelodeon is getting too big for his britches. cookie=baaad

As redarmy points out darksidzz could be a viable and renewable alternative fuel source.

Darksidzz how much do you weigh and do you have any brothers or sisters?

12. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

No. I could've easily worked that out if I'd bothered to give it more than a passing glance. You want a reward for being able to read? Tough - the ability is its own reward.

13. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Huh?

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We already use them for work, the same as fuel is used to do work. If you are proposing that minimum wage jobs be created in the transporation field, for instance human-powered rickshaws, It wouldn't be the first time. It's a good idea.

15. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Nobody uses human powered rickshaws anymore, you've been watching too much TV.

16. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I am 200 IBS... 6'3... please use me for fuel it would be so much easier than living.

17. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Was I talking to you?

18. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Excellent, some representatives from Exxon will come round on saturday just cooperate and we'll save the planet.....together. Though I won't actually be used as fuel since I'm rich and sexy

19. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Huh?

20. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I wasn't actually. I'm saying that he's not capable of making an informed, rational (ie non-emotional) decision on the matter.

21. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

What!??

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I have seen it myself in cities. Then there are bicycle messengers and bicycle delivery people, it's not so absurd.

23. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

If you ask me the lot of you should be turned into fertilizer.