The Ak-47 Russias Gift to the World

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Buffalo Roam, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

http://www.controlarms.org/find_out_more/reports/AK_47.pdf

The AK-47: the world's
    favourite killing machine
    26 June 2006
    Introduction
    Kalashnikov1 assault rifles are the most widespread military weapons in the world. It
    is estimated that there are between 50 and 70 million of them spread across the
    world’s five continents. They are used daily by soldiers, fighters, and gang members
    to inflict untold suffering in many countries. The spread of these weapons continues
    largely unchecked by governments, threatening the lives and safety of millions as
    weapons fall into irresponsible hands. More than ever, the Kalashnikov rifle is the
    weapon of choice for many armies, militias, armed gangs, law enforcement officials,
    rebels, and other private actors who abuse fundamental human rights and operate
    beyond the international humanitarian law parameters laid down by the Geneva
    Conventions and other relevant international law.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kalashnikov versus other assault rifles
    AK assault rifles are in the inventories of nearly half of the world’s armies, making
    them by far the world’s most prolific and used assault rifles. It is also the firearm of
    choice for virtually every armed group operating from every continent on the globe.
    Images from criminal organisations or other armed groups nearly always depict them
    wielding Kalashnikov rifles.
    At least 82 countries currently list AK or AK-derived assault rifles within their state
    arsenals. The next most popular assault rifles are the Heckler and Koch G3, originally
    4 The AK-47, Control Arms Campaign, June 2006
    from Germany, and FN Fal assault rifles, originally from Belgium. These are listed as
    in use in approximately 50 and 65 of the world’s armies respectively. This is followed
    by the US-produced M-16, currently listed as in service in up to 42 countries. 11 In
    terms of actual numbers of assault rifles produced, the AK outstrips the USproduced
    M-16 assault rifle by a factor of ten to one. Global estimates put the
    production of AK rifles in the region of 50–70 million, although estimates of 100
    million are not uncommon. By contrast, world production of G3 assault rifles, the
    next most prolific assault rifle, is believed to be between 15 and 20 million, and M-16
    assault rifle production is estimated to be between 5 and 7 million.12
    Demand in many parts of the world for Kalashnikov assault rifles remains strong, not
    least because the price remains relatively low. Unlike the price of other global
    commodities such as oil and gas, copper and zinc, the price of a Kalashnikov
    continues to fall in real terms, aiding its proliferation in poverty-stricken regions of the
    world. The price of an AK-47 derivative varies depending on sale location, quality,
    and quantity. A brand new Kalashnikov from a Russian factory costs around $240,
    depending on the derivative and size of the purchase.13 In Africa an AK-47 can be
    bought for around $30 in areas where supplies are plentiful.14 Thousands of
    Jordanian Kalashnikovs bought by the US for the new Iraqi security forces retailed at
    approximately $60 each.15 Stockpiled Balkan AK-47 variants cost US and European
    buyers between $50 and $100 per rifle.16

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Do you think this would be better in "Science and Technology"? Or is there a political aspect?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

How much of world events were contributed to by the number of Ak-47 that were produce and exported by the Russians and the WARSAW pact?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Russia in reliable weapons shocker.

8. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

.redarmy11

What's so shocking about the Russians building a reliable firearm? It was designed so as any peasant from the farm could operate it, with a minimum of training, and maintenance, it has one of the least amounts of parts for a weapon of its type, and enough tolerance to function in almost any situation, I like it very well as a weapon, and it is cheep and fun to shoot, lots of bang for the bucks, and surprisingly accurate.

9. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Not sure Buffalo, it's your thread. Why don't you tell us what's shocking about it - or at least what the point of the thread is?

10. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

redarmy11, well sam like to blame the U.S. for all of the weaponry in the world, but the Russians and the WARSAW pact have produced and distributed more weapons around the world than any one else, true the Americans make more money, as the cost of our weapons is high because of the technologic refinements, but the Russian sell them cheep and they sell them to everybody, cash and carry, and it is a interest that the largest arms supplier in the developing nations is India, sams favorite home.

11. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

If the Russians wouldn't sell em weapons, someone else would have, including us as we already do so. AK-47's and other rifles aren't causing those wars around the world as they would be fighting with stones if needs be as we see happen daily in photographs. Let's all blame the gun.

- N

12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Not sure (and too lazy to search) but from memory:

Kalashnikov was a mechanically gifted Russian Jew and had special motivation to do what he could to help keep "Mother Russia" from falling into Nazi hands during WWII. - Please correct if my memory is wrong.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I'm sure I'll be slammed for this but BR has a point. We make much of American arms sales to despots, but the majority of the hardware in these countries comes from Russia and/or China, along with a few others. The Americans seem to provide the higher-end hardware; aircraft, etc.

14. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Billy T

Not sure (and too lazy to search) but from memory:

‘People often ask me whether I feel guilty about human suffering that is
    caused by the attacks with AK-47. I tell them that I designed the gun to
    defend the Russian Motherland from its enemies. Of course I feel sad and
    frustrated when I see armed skirmishes with the use of my weapon also for
    conduct of predatory wars and for terrorist and criminal purposes. But it is
    not the designers who must ultimately take responsibility for where guns end
    up; it is governments who must control their production and export.’ 2
    (General Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47 assault rifle)

15. Free_Matt_417 The CIA took my baby away Registered Senior Member

The AK-47 is out of date, most military groups use the upgraded AK-74. So it really isn't the AK-47 you gotta worry about.

16. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

wrong. again.

the ak47 is known for jumping more than almost any rifle of its class.
    again, you show your ignorance, and let everyone here know just what a liar you are.

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

Bullshit

The AK47 has been in production for sixty years, and an estimated 100 million have been produced. It is by far the most popular firearm, being used by more people, more armies, and more countries than any other (it is featured on the flags of six countries ffs). It is therefore something to worry about, and if one is being pointed at you, are you going to say 'hey dude, I've got nothing to worry about from your old rifle, you should upgrade' or are you going to shut the fuck up and give the nice guerilla your travellers checks and your watch?

The next most popular rifle is the FN FAL at about 10million, then the M16 at about eight.

The AK74 is nowhere near as widely used.

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

Er, no.

The AK47 has a heavy recoil, but the AK74 very little. Matt does talk shit, but then he's not alone.

19. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

and we were discussing the ak47.
    accuracy..ha!
    i have fired one myself. its accurate if your target is a straight vertical column, yes.

its not a bad gun, but not a gun to write home about when talking of accuracy.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

who needs accuracy when you are spraying 40 rounds a second?

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Like the twin towers?

(well, obviously shouldn't aim at the middle of the twin towers...if they still existed.)

22. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

thats the appeal, yes.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You lefty. People have the right to defend themselves!