sound

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by pinkiss, Apr 18, 2007.

1. pinkiss Registered Senior Member

Is it possible that sound was created after bigbang.I know it might sound stupid but if the sound was it had to be something extremely high in Decibels and would stay way behing the light.in other case there is no sound in vacum so what would be your oppinion.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Why do you think sound had to have been "created"?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pinkiss Registered Senior Member

big bang explosion

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

sound is just a structure of the movement of particals formed by natural forces motivated by the constants of the universe (which I guess were created with the big bang).

8. draqon Banned Banned

if big bang did indeed create matter...instead of just expanding matter from its location, than yes sound was created after the big bang, but only there were it could exist, between molecules.

Remember, " Noone can hear you scream in space"

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Well I suppose it's a damn good (and perhaps real) example of "if a big bang happened and no one had any ears/eardrum/brain to process vibrations in "air" at that time...did it make a sound?"

10. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

scratch that, everything was like plasma until how long after the big bang?

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Not even plasma. I don't have the timeline in front of me, but it took time for the early universe to cool enough for the 4 fundamental forces to settle out one by one. It wasn't until this happened that matter coalesced out of the energy.

Now. The question is could the earliest produce of the big bang have been said to have acoustic waves which could be translated into sound by the proper sensory apparatus?

Probably.
    That's my opinion.

12. pinkiss Registered Senior Member

well my thought was a bit sci-fi about this thing.Lets say if the sound was created at bigbang moment so it had to stay way behind of space enlargement speed or smth,and it would had to be something high in decibels like milions of dbs and one day it could travel to us and imagine what would happen to earth or even things like plantes or galaxies.anyway its only my thought dont take for real it

p.s sorry for my english

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

So, we will have a huge sound wave rushing toward us threatening to destroy Earth?

Interesting idea.

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Sound is only acoustic waves.
    Waves created at the beginning of the universe will have stretched with the expansion of space so much that they would be hardly perceptible, if perceptible at all.

The Cosmic Background Radiation would be the closest thing to what you're getting at, but it wasn't made at the Big Bang, but rather later when the universe had cooled to a point that electrons and protons (which had coalesced at some previous point) could finally join together to form atoms. At this point, the universe became transparent to radiation.

Hmm.
    Know something?
    In a way, it could be said that previous to this, the universe would have rippled with radiation as radiation wasn't freely able to just pass through the universe. At the point that atoms formed, that sort of acoustic wave ended and the universe rang like a bell.

So, what we have is two different sorts of possible waves.
    That's what this whole concept centers around. Interpretation of acoustic waves. There would be no classic 'sound' as we know it. But even the sun rings like a bell if listened to with the right ears.

15. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Sound waves may have been critical in the initial formation of galaxies shortly after the big bang and in the continued evolution of galaxies today.

Some links:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6871
    "Sound waves that roared through space after the big bang left behind a subtle imprint in the way galaxies are clustered today, reveal two major studies."

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/09sep_blackholesounds.htm
    "Astronomers using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory have found, for the first time, sound waves from a supermassive black hole. The "note" is the deepest ever detected from any object in our Universe. The tremendous amounts of energy carried by these sound waves may solve a longstanding problem in astrophysics."

16. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Since the Earth, and every other point in space, is at the centre of the original Big Bang then any soundwave would already be here - plus as several have pointed out sound does not travel well in a vacuum.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What about a shock wave?
    Is that pretty much the same thing as a sound wave? (forgive my ignorance)

18. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

Yeah, basically it is a vibration that is pushing molecules of air and dust in an outward wave. Shock waves are usually accompanied by a loud bang. But since there is no air or gas in space, there are no molecules to carry the vibration. The only reason that sound crosses distance is because the initial vibration displaces the gas around it, pushing molecules away from it, which in turn push further molecules away and so on in a chain reaction. It is the same thing as an earthquake causing a tsunami. A tsunami can't happen without water, right?

19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

as per Roy's reply, plus: Star formation is thought to be triggered in clouds of interstellar dust when an exploding siupernovae sends shock waves through the cloud, triggering gravitational collapse.

20. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

There is gas in space. It is just a bit more tenuous (orders of magnitude more tenuous) than the gas in our atmosphere. Even the space between galaxies contains some gas, and that gas (~1000 hydrogen molecules per cubic meter) is dense enough to support extremely low frequency sound waves. The March 2007 Scientific American had a very accessible article on the shock waves that result from material infalling into a galaxy's center black hole.

21. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

My fault. Yes. The gas in space is so diffused as to be unable to pass most sound waves through it. But that is very interesting, I never knew that low frequency sounds could travel through some parts of space.