Pet Names...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by darksidZz, Apr 16, 2007.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Like the Baby Names thread only better cuz it's about animals :-!

My cat was named Daisy (whom I thought of cooking often)

My grandmothers dog was named Taffy (good name for a meal, muhaha)

Sister's animals are named Dutchess (she claws at your eyes to wake you up) & Bo Jangles (he jumps on your back if you bend over) they are both cats.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I have a tradition of naming pets after artists I like.
    I had a cat named Vincent (Van Gogh), A scorpion named Edgar (Allan Poe), a dog named Jack (Kerouac), to iguanas Salvador (male) and Dali (female), etc.

Right now I have two Jack Russel terriers named Max and Thea after the famous married surrealist painters Max Ernst and Dorothea Tanning.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

We had a stray kitten that we found on Halloween night so we called it Samhain which is Gaelic for New Year (Halloween is the Gaelic new year). When it had kittens my brother got two, and he loves soccer so they ended up Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldinho. My sister got another one and called it some proper cat name, but she overfed it so I started calling it 'Weightwatchers' and despite my sister's insistance that his name was Whiskers or whatever it was, the name stuck. People look at us strangely though. "Here, Weighty-Weighty-Weightwatchers."

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I know I shouldn't say this, but how about naming a cat PUSSY, lmao

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It's Old Irish for November, actually.
    The festival of Samhain is the November Festival that signifies the end of the Harvest Season - and that's what they are celebrating.

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i actualy didnt get to name "my" pets apart from 1 dog i had, i named it bouncer, but it died when it was 2,

i have had a few pets but they were already named by other people so i didnt get to give them names, i called my old pets names "very cool names" but they never answer to them so i thought ok fuck it keep your gay name,

im getting 2 dogs when i move place again, a golden mane chow chow, and a mastif (not sure what type of mastif yet though)

i will call the mastif titan maybe, the chow chow pride, or lion something or other,

and i always wanted a monkey, and i would call it papoose,

peace.

10. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

Excuse me, I'm Irish, and Gaelic is my first language. Samhain is still Irish for November: Eanair, Feabhra, Marta, Aibrean, Bealtaine, Meitheamh, Luil, Lunasa, Mean Fomhair, Deireadh Fomhair, Samhain agus Nollaig. Check your facts. Samhain is the end of the harvest season, and the start of the new year, the old Celtic year was based on farming.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I know that.
    Check MY facts?

You are the one who said "Samhain which is Gaelic for New Year".
    It is not - It's Irish (etymolgy is Old Irish) for November, and they celebrated the end of the harvest season - which is what I said.

12. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

Samhain is the old Irish, Celtic New Year, at the end of harvest season. This celebration happens to fall on Halloween. Samhain is also the Irish for November. It is used in ALL forms of Gaelic, just spelt differently, for example it's Samhuinn in Scottish Gaelic. What's your point?

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

My point is that if you translate Samhain to English your result is not "New Year" it is "November".
    My point is that I am not the one who needs to check my facts.

For example, Samhain doesn't just happen to fall on Halloween, Samhain predates Halloween. Halloween is based on Samhain.

My point is that you were incorrect, regardless of whether "Gaelic is you first language" (even though Gaelic is not a language).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  14. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

Actually, if you translate Samhain directly into English, you are going to get Summer-end. Samh is shortened Samhradh and ain comes from fain which means end.

Irish Gaelic is a language. Na bhfuil me ag labhairt e anois? Ach ta tusa ro-dhur. Nil tu abalta tuigeann cad a taim ag ra. Agus ta do phictuir amaideach fosta.

15. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

Nil fhios agam ca bhfuil tu as, Raven, ach ta meas agam nil Eireannach tusa. Mar a bhi tu, ni bheidh tu chomh dur le sin.

16. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

Taim ag dul a chodladh anois, chaithfidh me dul go dti an scoil amarach, agus anseo, ta se a haon deag a chlog san oiche. Ta suil agam go bheidh tu deanta ag cuir na haibairti seo trid an translator nuair a chuirfidh me an riomhaire ar siul ar maidin.

17. Renrue Someone Registered Senior Member

FreeThinkers,

I believe you have made a point, sir.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

One post is good enough, especially since the rest of us don't understand a word. But if it helps, wikipedia has a link for you two decipher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

And on the pet names, I make up names for my pets (though they may be words for other languages or already existing, they're new to me): Poya, Pota, Gerfrei, etc.

[Mort]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  18. Genji Registered Senior Member

My cat's name is Lucy. I got her as a 7 week old kitten the week Lucille Ball died 18 years ago.
    I love the names Atia and Servilia for cats. From the HBO Rome series!!!!

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I've named only one pet in my life: a cat. I named her Mir after the Russian Space Station.

20. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

Sorry Renrue, I was just explaining to Raven how stupid he is.

21. orcot Valued Senior Member

kwik, kwak and a variable for the chickens (I've got more then 3) in english you would call them Huey, Dewey and Louie exept the last I called her who ever I dislike at the moment. Dog's are named afther the moon Luna and selene (sal). The cat translated would be something between bitch and tomboy but officialy it 's catharina II afther a russian princes (she's white) and the fact that it contains the word cat. While hamsters are general refered to as cesar, brutus, sokrates etc.