7 modern wonders.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by leopold, Apr 15, 2007.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

The 20th century has provided spectacular advances in design, engineering, and construction which have allowed humanity to create an array of monumental structures. And from these, the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), with help from experts around the world, selected these wonders: the Empire State building, the Itaipu Dam, the CN Tower, the Panama Canal, the Channel Tunnel, the North Sea Protection Works, and the Golden Gate Bridge.
    http://wonderclub.com/WorldWonders/ModernWonders.html

2 of the 7 are located in america.
    a third, panama canal, was designed and built by americans.

one has to wonder why the moon shot isn't on the list.

so, what would be on your list of wonders of the modern world?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. orcot Valued Senior Member

panama canal was designed by the french and they builded 13 years on it from 1880 to 1893 and was left for humantairing reasons (+22 000 deaths). Americans took over from 1904 until it opened in 1914 afther a cure and preventis where discovered against maleria.

For the rest it's a nice list altough MIR is missing and that first particle accelerator

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Yeah, and it was an American in Cuba that figured out what was causing the malaria.

The French failed, from an engineering standpoint, and a financial one. Their fund-raising schemes were consumed by graft. And the choice of a crossing point was a major failure, the northern route, while longer, was very obviously the better route.

There is no way to make the French look good for their work on the Panama Canal, and there is no way to take away from the Americans the amazing work done there. You just have to be all-consumed with your hatred of all things American to even attempt this.

The list is from a design, construction, and engineering group (ASCE), which is why the moon shot and the Internet aren't on there. I would rather see the Brooklyn Bridge on the list, rather than the Golden Gate bridge. Roebling's work had no precedent, making that shorter bridge a more-incredible feat than the longer span of the GG. This must have been the rationale they used for the Empire State Building, so I'm shocked they chose the bridge they did.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

ah yes, my mistake.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

one has to wonder why the largest man made island that is connected to the mainland by the worlds longest bridge isn't on the list.
    of course i'm talking about japans international airport.

9. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Hong Kong has a lot of reclaimed land I believe? Obviously not 100%, but it grows every year!

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

As technology advances, every decade had at least 3-4 wonders. What was the criteria for nominating something? Also, it had to be a building?

I assume it had to be very difficult to build and had to use new technology for its age.

Any very tall buildings apply over 100 floors. Others like Hoover dam, Eiffel tower, the Erie canal, Alaskan oilpipe, Delta works, Thames barrier, etc.

How about moving objects? Like Titanic, Howard Hughes' giant plane and later the Global Explorer. Nuclear subs, Hubble space telescope, any giant oiltanker, ICBM, etc.etc.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  11. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Surely a wonder of the world has to be a real achievement in relative terms.

I nominate:
    • The Internet
    • That dam the Chinese are building

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

International Space Station?

13. orcot Valued Senior Member

I'm not a person who would hate a country aftherall What do you think personaly of the austrians?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria
    The fact is maleria was a bitch and it killed a lot of people so obviously a lot of people wanted to get rid of it many countries invested in it some failed some completed half the work and some finished the job. In that sense it resembles the panama canal for a bid.
    For instance the desease was discovered by a french men Charles Louis Alphonse Laveran then Carlos Finlay a cuban who was of french and scottisch decent and Sir Ronald Ross a brit living in India proofed it then Walter Reed a american boy tolled the good american lads how to save themselfs. So we got French, scotts/cubans, brits and americans working on the sidelines each one contributing a important part of something that isn't realy part of the panama canal but where still necesairy and saved a whole deal of other people. I do not see why I should hate america for understanding that the person who comes up with the end solution is yust on the end of a chain and those before him chould be credited as well..

...This post is starting to become irrelevant note that any eventualy hate aganst amercans from my part has nothing to do with the constructing of the panama canal

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yellow fever. Thank you, George Washington Goethals.

I especially like the part where we didn't take no shit from Columbia so basically stole Panama from them, set up a puppet government, and had our way with them.
    This, of course, set us up for the fun we had decades later when we blasted rock and roll music into the home of a certain pockmarked dictator who we decided we didn't like anymore.

Ah. Good times.

Or what about the last one? It's possible that the particle accelerator portion of our physics experiments may be nearing its completion. So many particle physicists soon to be out of work... Egads.

15. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The creation science museum in Kentucky.

16. vslayer Registered Senior Member

wait a sec... americans think creation is a science? and they even go so far as to waste a perfectly good museum with it?

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's a rather hyperbolic statement and is not called for. There's no need to get snippy here. Outside of the USA, our role in the history and politics of Latin America is highly controversial. Those who suggest that our influence has been almost as detrimental to them as Spain's are not anti-American so much as they're seeing a side to the issue that is not widely discussed here.
    Thank you. I was wondering how long it was going to take you young people who have grown up in the Post-Industrial Era to free yourself of its paradigm and recognize a "virtual wonder." Of course it would be so much greater if it was not sitting on top of the flimsy Windows architecture, which was built under the direction of dinosaur project managers using Industrial Era quality assurance techniques that are worse than worthless on software projects.
    No, that is no "wonder." It is an embarrassment to the human race. It puts the lie to our Western stereotype of Asians as revering nature and history. They have destroyed entire communities and caused the extinction of many species, including a truly wonderful and intelligent freshwater dolphin. Like all civil engineering projects under despotic governments it was rife with corruption and cost-cutting, and was built to quality standards that make Windows look like a Daimler-Benz product. Real engineers the world over are betting on how long it will stand up before it comes crashing down in a disaster that will claim as many lives as China's most memorable earthquakes. (My money says twelve years.)

The sad thing is that after all that destruction it supplies an almost invisible percentage of China's electricity needs. No, the Three Gorges Dam is on the other list, the one with the Tower of Babel and communism.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Duh? This may qualify as a sort of "wonder" because we educated people "wonder" how the American educational system could have declined so precipitously in one generation so that a measurable fraction of the population has sunk into Stone Age belief systems like religion. But it cannot qualify as a "modern" wonder since it is, indeed, a relic of the Stone Age.
    Only the Religious Redneck Retards think that and waste their money on it. Most of them are not true Americans, they are descendants of the people who lost the Civil War and Lincoln forced us to take them back.

Yes I suppose I'm guilty of being "snippy," but with an RRR in the White House doing his level best to bring down civilization, I'm allowed.

18. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

"Stone Age," don't you think you're being just a tad melodramatic?

19. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

IAC is right, it's more like Bronze Age.