The All-Powerful Dilemma

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by hellyes, Apr 14, 2007.

1. hellyes Registered Member

This is probably a classic one, yet it kept me pondering around for a while, still
    seeking a solution.

The dilemma goes like this:

If God is all-powerful, can he create a rock so heavy which he himself is
    unable to lift above his head?

If he can't create such a heavy rock, how one could call him all-powerful? On the contrary, if he could create this rock, one he can't lift up because it is all too heavy, then one couldn't call him all-powerful either.

This is a logic-argument I think, yet it seems more clever to me than it did
    first, that's the reason I share it with you people. I'd like to hear suggestions, even solutions offered.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

However the dilemma of logic self annihilates, if you consider that the idea of such a god is illogical.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler N. Registered Senior Member

If god tried to make a rock so heavy that he couldn't lift it, he would end up destroying the universe with a supermassive black hole, thus making it redundant.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hellyes Registered Member

Illogical? I consider logic a human symbol system. A complex symbol system, sure, but nothing beyond that. Also, let's suppose that the physical effect created by the gravitational pull of the rock is out of the question, as the dilemma is purely theoretical in my opinion. Labeling it as "illogical" does not satisfy me. I have the impression that you guys simply evade the dilemma:

Can an all-powerful God create a rock that he can't lift?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

It's not a "dilemma" at all and I don't think people are evading anything. In your question, you've simply designed into it the obvious failure.

It's no different to asking; Can you imagine a rock larger than you can imagine? See? The criteria that you've set is already defined as a failure.

Baron Max

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Besides hellyes seems to presume a priori that the human mind in general is rational and logical, failing to notice that most humans are irrational and magical thinking, and their belief systems are such too.

As Baron Max said - there is no dilemma, just an error in your thinking process.

10. Roman Banned Banned

Could God make a burrito so spicy that even He couldn't eat it?

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Don't know about god, but I sure as hell can!!! ...LOL!

Baron Max

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

13. Tnerb Banned Banned

Good clarification on that arguement Baron Max. Must give you that. I think that's pretty existafied. The arguement that is... you have said that the arguement is fallable because his arguement says it is so which gets that across. We must concieve of a rock like that. I don't see how you even managed to get that in ur head thread starter.

14. hellyes Registered Member

I like this solution very much, thanks Baron Max.

The dilemma itself, flawed it might be, seems to be a classical one among
    people with a materialistic approach, at least certainly not my invention.

15. Zardozi Isvara.... . 1S Evil_Lau Registered Senior Member

Should the rock be created If he could not lift it? would he create one to lift it for him?

Or should it be left alone in creation? Or destroyed another day.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  16. Ripley Valued Senior Member

"Dilemma". Concept.
    "God". Concept.
    "All-powerful". Concept.
    "a rock so heavy". Concept.
    "unable". Concept.
    "it". Concept.
    "above". Concept.
    "his". Concept.

Pointless concept.

17. hellyes Registered Member

"Pointless concept." Concept.

18. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

This is the stupidest thread ever. The world was created by science, and a force of energy. I believe in God but the most 'He' is is a powerful, invisible, force, that does not define between good and evil. I think a 'God' created the world, but your concept of him is all wrong. This 'God' cannot be omnipotent because if 'He' was, global warming wouldn't be destroying what 'He' created, would it? Now you might argue that maybe he wants to destroy it, but if he did, he would do it instantly because he is 'all-powerful'.

19. Tyler N. Registered Senior Member

If god made a rock infinitly heavy, then it would be the most massive thing in the universe. So you are asking if god can seperate an infinite mass from a finite mass. If gravity thus is infinite due to infinite mass, and god's strength is infinite, that makes a singularity. So, in other words, the laws of physics would break down before god could overpower himself. Any attempt by god to overpower himself results in the destruction of the means by which to overpower himself. So, it is a redundant question.

20. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

god exists outside of the laws of physics.and outside of the universe.

also god is too gay to make big rocks.

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

No.
    Metaconcept.

By the way.
    "Metaconcept." Metametaconcept.
    "Metametaconcept." Metametametaconcept.
    "Wash Rinse Repeat." God.

22. Zardozi Isvara.... . 1S Evil_Lau Registered Senior Member

Thats what mustaf been his mood when he created Charlotte, Virgina.

23. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I don't understand what it means to say God exists outside the laws of physics.

Ok then... Could God create a butt plug so big that he couldn't use it?