Aliens?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by navigator, Apr 14, 2007.

?

Fact or fiction?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2007.
  1. fact

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. fiction

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navigator Registered Senior Member

Fact or fiction

I believe it is a fact, based on what I feel is overwhelming evidence.

U.S. astronauts:

Major Gordon Cooper

Robert White July 17, 1962

May 11, 1962 NASA pilot Joseph Walker said that one of his tasks was to detect UFOs during his X-15 flights. He had filmed five or six UFOs during his record breaking fifty-mile-high flight in April, 1962. It was the second time he had filmed UFOs in flight.

Eugene Cernan Los Angeles Times article in 1973

Ed White & James McDivitt June 1965 were passing over Hawaii in a Gemini spacecraft when they saw a weird-looking metallic object. The UFO had long arms sticking out of it. McDivitt took pictures with a cine-camera. Those pictures have never been released.

James Lovell and Frank Borman in December 1965, Gemini astronauts also saw a UFO during their second orbit of their record-breaking 14 day flight. Borman reported that he saw an unidentified spacecraft some distance from their capsule. Gemini Control, at Cape Kennedy told him that he was seeing the final stage of their own Titan booster rocket. Borman confirmed that he could see the booster rocket all right, but that he could also see something completely different.

In 1979 Maurice Chatelain, former chief of NASA Communications Systems confirmed that Armstrong had indeed reported seeing two UFOs on the rim of a crater. Chatelain believes that some UFOs may come from our own solar system, specifically Titan. "The encounter was common knowledge in NASA, but nobody has talked about it until now." "...all Apollo and Gemini flights were followed, both at a distance and sometimes also quite closely, by space vehicles of extraterrestrial origin - flying saucers, or UFOs, if you want to call them by that name. Every time it occurred, the astronauts informed Mission Control, who then ordered absolute silence." "I think that Walter Schirra aboard Mercury 8 was the first of the astronauts to use the code name 'Santa Claus' to indicate the presence of flying saucers next to space capsules. However, his announcements were barely noticed by the general public. It was a little different when James Lovell on board the Apollo 8 command module came out from behind the moon and said for everybody to hear: 'PLEASE BE INFORMED THAT THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS.' Even though this happened on Christmas Day 1968, many people sensed a hidden meaning in those words." The rumors persist. NASA may well be a civilian agency, but many of its programs are funded by the defence budget and most of the astronauts are subject to military security regulations. Apart from the fact that the National Security Agency screens all films and probably radio communications as well. We have the statements by Otto Binder, Dr. Garry Henderson and Maurice Chatelain that the astronauts were under strict orders not to discuss their sightings. And Gordon Cooper has testified to a United Nations committee that one of the astronauts actually witnessed a UFO on the ground.

I would also be interested in hearing the evidence that infuenced your decision.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

we are in year 2007, you know. Were are these aliens?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Aliens re highly likely to exist, somewhere. It is exceedingly unlikely, however, that there are any remotely near Earth.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Communist Hamster, how are you my friend

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I believe aliens to exist and currently to abduct us :Z~

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Your beliefs do not change reality.

9. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Aliens, here and now...possible, but we are led to believe that it is improbable. Science demands proof, until then, it's all speculation and conspiracy theories.

10. draqon Banned Banned

humans live on Earth around 80 years, without knowing why they are alive and what their purpose is and unable to answer the universal questions, they fill in the gaps of unanswered questions by whats most probable and thus speculate that yes there might be God and aliens. One by nature speculates and adheres to some sort of belief when that something cannot be proved.

11. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

This is what is known as a false dilemma. Some of the sightings you mention were real enough, but were not anything to do with extraterrestrials. In addition the astronauts such as Cooper who believed in an extrterrestrial explanation for UFOs were entitles to their opinion; that doesnt mean they were right. Please read these pages by James Oberg which explains many of the incidents you mentioned, and many more.

http://www.debunker.com/texts/astronaut_ufo.html
    http://www.debunker.com/texts/apollo11.html

On the other hand it does appear that there is no doubt that the events described in the final paragraph of your post, concerning Chatelain and the so-called encounters on the Moon is fiction and nothing more. Maurice Chatelain has been completely discredited. He did not serve as head of communications at NASA. He was a low-level technician who was fired from Apollo long before any of the missions actually flew.

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

http://www.barbelith.com/topic/2477

Why do I believe it? I talked with an ex CF navy diver who worked the incident(not in shag harbor - but an area a couple klicks away). Since, I have done some of my own research and there is just such an overwhelming amount of stuff out there. What made me 100% convinced was reading some of the vedas and the descriptions of ancient vehicles, of reading up on the dropa, out-of-place artifacts and other stuff that it covered up. I think that's the telling thing, how much is COVERED UP.

14. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Sure there are aliens out there somewhere. But not here. At least, I haven't seen the kind of remarkable evidence that would warrant such a remarkable claim.

15. pinkiss Registered Senior Member

there is a chance about aliens but one thing is for sure that they dont look nothing like they like to show on tvs a stick-body and pumpkin size heads with huge eyes and their flying dishes are way too small for flying.
    Better i would like to know who makes those signs in the fields which are all over the world because some of them have such figures that it would take months to make for many people and they appear in few hours

16. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

I'm glad that you have read up on the Dropa Stones; you won't need me to tell you that they are totally imaginary.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropa#Criticism
    Not one scrap of evidence for these things as described exists; they are a myth.

17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

That's the funny thing about evidence, it can be manipulated, stolen or just outright ignored.

18. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

That's easy; they are called 'Circlemakers', and they are as human as you and I.
    http://www.circlemakers.org/

Half the population of Wiltshire either know someone who makes crop circles or is doing it themselves.

19. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

You would have to be ###### stupid to believe that we are the only life in the universe...or even galaxy for that matter (regardless of who created us). Scientists have found water on an extrasolar planet about 450 light years from here. Water=life. That is only two planets out of an infinite number of planets, in a galaxy 100,000 light years in diameter.

20. orcot Valued Senior Member

liquid whater has been discovered on both earth as Mars (altough in small quantaties) actualy the bodem of the hellas bassin (mars) has a average surface pressure of 11 millibar comparing with 6millibar average. At this pressure liquid water would be stable if it's heated between around 0°C and 10°C

And this is on a planet that can have tempratures of 20°C
    link

21. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

It may be because I'm brain dead from working on computers all day but I can't tell if the article is implying that life could or could not exist given the conditions on Mars?

22. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Liquid water on Mars is very transient; the pressure is so low, it boils at the same time that it melts from ice. So when a melt occurs, the water travels downslope for a limited distance, boiling all the time, until it entirely evaporates. If life can adapt to such conditions (it probably can) then life might exist on Mars. However I can't guarantee that life is there; it might have died out several billion years ago.

23. Jeremyhfht Registered Senior Member

Aliens? Somewhere out there.

UFO'S? No. Don't even get me started rebuking the mountains and mountains of idiocy surrounding that. I'd be dead from old age long before I managed to finally finish dissecting all of the supposed "evidence" put forth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.