Most friendly place besides earth?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by orcot, Apr 10, 2007.

1. orcot Valued Senior Member

Where could you find the most earth like conditions beside earth? Is there any place in particulary?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

The mind. <-philosophically

Mars and moon Europa <-physically

but none really. Earth is the only one

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orcot Valued Senior Member

The most friendly place besides earth would be Venus around 52 km in its atmosphere. And this hight their is a (poiseness) 1 bar envoriment with tempratures between 40°C and 10°C. And altough the atmosphere is poiseness it contains large volume of nitrogen and carbon dioxide who can be converted to oxygen. A day would take around 3 days and gravity levels and solar flux would be pretty much the same like on earth.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Pretty typical human-centric view Draqon. Considering there is hundreds of billions of galaxies, i'd say there's a pretty good chance there is an even better planet (from even our point of view). Perhaps one with .1 less gravity so women's breasts don't start to sag until 35 on average.

8. draqon Banned Banned

I use the knowledge I have. Everything else does not exist in my mind as long as it not proved to exist. Is there possibility there is a terra-like planet outthere? yes. Do I mention it? no. Because there had been found none so far.

I also didn't mention moon Titan because....well I guess I should have mentioned it. It does have lakes and atmosphere and carbon molecules.

You got to be kidding me, do you know what Venus has in common with Earth only? gravity and mass. And that is all. That high thick layer of clouds is not just toxic, it is deadly. Sulfuric Acid clouds all over. And the temperatures are not 40 Celsius and 10 Celsius. Temperatures are: 500 C !!!!!. Thats 890F. The whole thing is all but crust.

Here is better view by Venera probe sent there once:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

( Ok another candidate is moon Titan. )

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

that's the surface 90 bar 462°C enviroment. I ment 55 km higher in the atmosphere above the most acid clouds and where there's a 0.5 bar 25°C or the 1 bar 75°C enviroment. The biggest problem would be the obvious lack of solid ground even though O2 is a lifting gas compared to CO2.

I'm not sure abouth the Ice moons though there is verry little light to grow anything and I always wonder what would prevent possible bases from sinking due to their own head they produce. Besides Oxygen that will be produced and stored on Titan would be highly explosive in titan's atmosphere.

Mars is also pretty good it has some advantages

10. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

So are you saying some kind of floating habitat might work there?

11. orcot Valued Senior Member

sure, some sort of zeplin perhaps it isn't even that acid up there someone in a air balloon would proberly need no more portection then a oxygen air tank.

12. draqon Banned Banned

13. draqon Banned Banned

By the way were do you think they will settle?

14. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

15. draqon Banned Banned

16. orcot Valued Senior Member

I don't think any planet where capable to detect is able to support life ... well maybe a moon... like 47 Ursae Majoris

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

And yet I can imagine only the Cloud City from StarWars

18. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

A cloud ecology from here

(my image)

19. orcot Valued Senior Member

:bugeye: Sure if you can find/make a plant that can extract it's nutrients out of the CO2 atmosphere (gas no need for roots) and produces little gas bubbles with lighter then air gasses why not. there would be plenty of energy, nutrients and even water to sustain them. But I rather think that the leaf covering would be more to the bodem of the plant because that recieves nearly as much light as the top while the top could hold a water reserve.

BTW nice pic avatar so they proberly used that for the groundwork of that dragon ball z tower