Do you know your anscestry?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Oniw17, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I've searched a couple different keywords and couldn't find a a similar thread on the forums. So, out of curiosity...Do you know your anscestry? If so, please share. I know most of mine, and can guess(from old pictures) wildly at the rest. My dad's mom's dad was an Irvine from Scotland. My dad's mom's mom's dad was Finnish. My dad's mom's mom's mom was Irish. My dad's dad's mom was Irish. My dad's dad's dad was Magyar; he anglicised my last name to Tursack. My mom's dad probably(guessing from an old family portrait) had some Pennsylvanian Dutch somewhere in his family, and claims to be part Miami Amerindian. My mom's mom and her siblings all have a fairly dark brown complexion; that could be anything. My mom says that she(my grandma) has a significant amount of Cherokee in her blood, which I'm somewhat doubtful of, but I don't have any better guesses. So... would anyone else like to share hwat parts of their anscestry they know?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

100% Russian all they way as I as know. Maybe a bit chinese, kazakh blood, ukranian, belarus.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ragnarok Hang em High.... Registered Senior Member

My mothers bloodline is traced to Ireland, (grandpa Bones)and american indian,Grandmother was chauktau, and my fathers bloodline from france. But Im American, ....a mutt in a mutt nation.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

3/4 Latvian, 1/4 Polish, with a bit of German blood some 4 generations down.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

me mudder was german, me fadder was american.

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

french from my mothers side with some serbian in it, considering a birth anomaly their chould also be some mongolian in it. My father's side spiraled from germany to french to belgium

10. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

How far back do you want to go? Scots German French Chaco-Anasazi Spanish Moor. That's what I can recall before breakfast.

11. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

German, Irish, English, French, Swedish, and Finnish. I may also have Scottish in me from my father's mother, but I am not sure.

12. Genji Registered Senior Member

Swedish, Dutch and a dash of English.

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i have a mixed background but not too long ago i found out part of my ancestory comes from russia 2, i have southern european blood i am a super mongrol with many different blood lines, my great grandfather on my mothers side changed the family name, it was renovich, i didnt know this until recently, i have been doing reaserch on the name,

peace,

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

this is a very interesting thread

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

is there anywhere you can go to get a spit sample taken and your dna background origin checked or something?. blood wouldent be neeeded would it?, just DNA from spit should do right?.

peace.

15. Genji Registered Senior Member

National Geographic offers a cheek swab sampling of DNA for $200 (US) Results are in within 6 weeks. Oprah did it and discovered she's of Liberian ancestry, not South African.

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Spanish (50%), Swedish (40%), and Norwegian(10%).

17. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Those DNA tests they do for the public nail down basic ethnic groups and show you on a map where those people lived during various time periods in general.

18. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

thanks

, i want to get that done for me and my wife, she is 100% St lucian, probably derived from the carib people, from south america, or some other native tribe fromt he islands i was reading up on carib and other caribbean native people the other day but i forgot most of it.

i would like to see the results i will google that national geog thing now thanks a lot,

peace.

19. Genji Registered Senior Member

Carib! Now that is an exotic ancestry. Forget pasty Sweden! I wish I had a link for you but you'll find it. Someone here at SF did it but I can't recall who.
    I'd like to do it as well. I just know my great grandparents on my Mother's side were born in Sweden and moved here in 1881. My Dad's side is the Dutch & English, but his family has been in the US since the 1760's so it's harder to look back further than that.

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

These people are believed to have left the Orinoco rainforests of Venezuela in South America to settle in the Caribbean. Over the century leading up to Christopher Columbus's arrival in the Caribbean archipelago in 1492, the Caribs are believed to have displaced the Maipurean-speaking Igneri people from the southern Lesser Antilles. Their legends (as recorded by Fr. Breton in the 17th century) say that they killed (and ate) all the Igneri men and took their women as wives. Anthropologists are divided as to how true that was, but the fact that the Island Carib women spoke a Maipurean language gives credence to this idea. The islands also raided and traded with the Eastern Taíno of the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. The Caribs were the source of the gold which Columbus found in the possession of the Taíno; gold was not smelted by any of the insular Amerindians, but rather was obtained by trade from the mainland. The Caribs were skilled boatbuilders and sailors, and seem to have owed their dominance in the Caribbean basin to their mastery of the arts of war.

The Caribs were themselves displaced by the Europeans, and were eventually all but exterminated during the colonial period. However they were able to retain some islands, such as Dominica, Saint Vincent, Saint Lucia, and Trinidad. The Black Caribs (Garifuna) of St. Vincent who had mixed with marooned black slaves from a 1675 shipwreck were deported in 1795 to Roatan Island, off Honduras, where their descendants, the Garífuna, still live today. The British saw the less mixed "Yellow Caribs" as less hostile, and allowed them to remain in St. Vincent. Carib resistance delayed the settlement of Dominica by Europeans, and the Carib communities that remained in St. Vincent and Dominica retained a degree of autonomy well into the 19th century. The last known speakers of Island Carib died in the 1920s. The number of Caribs in Dominica today is about 3,000; there are several hundred ethnic Caribs in Trinidad.

21. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

Let's see, I'm Irish, and my father's family have been sitting on this rock for 15,000 years, FACT. Although sometimes they've been sitting on some rocks just off the coast of this rock, but it still counts. My mother's family line is a little more varied. Mostly Irish, but one or two English, and a bit of Spanish too. Well, I did say a little more varied.

Seriously, though, my family's all Irish, but it's interesting. My great-great-uncle was one of three people who risked his life to bring in the guns for Irish independence, I'm related to two Miss Irelands, and my grandfather was one of the most intelligent men in the country in his day.

I actually get a lot of respect around here because of my heritage. My name is one of the most ancient Gaelic names there is.

22. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Scottish for at least 8 generations, I think. Beyond that I have no idea. Possibly part Irish and further back there could have been some Roman blood. I have a straight nose and olive skin.

Chi - Interesting about the Caribs there. I was in Dominica a couple of years ago and considered going to some Carib village place, but it seemed a bit fake - being a tourist place. Been in the Orinoco Rainforests as well as it happens, but I think I only saw Indians. Anyway, she sounds nice and exotic

23. vslayer Registered Senior Member

on my fathers side, entirely english(born in new zealand since 1860). i know my maternal grandmother emigrated from england to canada, but im not sure about my grandfathers heritage.