So is the love affair over?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Syzygys, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

No more holding hands?? :bawl:

"Remember Abdullah's visit with George at the Crawford retreat in April of 2005? The two were seen holding hands as they walked near the ranch house. It was reported that they were talking about the beautiful flowers adorning the grounds. Later, when questioned about the public touchy-feely, Abdullah said:

In our culture, holding hands is a sign of friendship and a sign of loyalty and you do it with people who are dear to you. And President Bush is a friend whose friendship I value and treasure.

Well, what a difference two years make. It seems George and Abdullah will no longer be doing it (holding hands). And the breakup was initiated by the Saudi king. Not only has Abdullah canceled a very important date (think senior-prom significance) with George-an appearance at a dinner in his honor at the White House-he has, for the first time, called the U.S. position in Iraq "illegal."

Yes, King Abdullah spoke on Wednesday at the opening of the Arab League and said: "In the beloved Iraq, the bloodshed is continuing under an illegal foreign occupation and detestable sectarianism."

So, why in the fifth year of a war that has killed almost 3,250 U.S. troops and more than 650,000 Iraqis is the Saudi king now jilting Bush? Because Abdullah has reached his limit with the neocons, their policy to support Israel unequivocally, and specifically with Bush disciple Cobralethal Rice, who habitually offers her unsolicited advice-the latest directive is for Arab governments to "begin reaching out to Israel."

The king is no fool. He has come to realize that when his fingers are entwined with Bush's, the president is fantasizing about Saudi oil. Especially since the Iraq oil which was supposed to pay for the Iraq war isn't flowing. Plus, Abdullah understands the tenuous nature of relationships. People use words like "loyalty," "value," and "treasure" to explain liaisons but something happens and those words no longer apply. Simply put, friendships are conditional. Anyone can discern this from watching members of the Republican Party who are fleeing Bush. Abdullah sees the migration away from the president and, probably, is telling his brothers that it's as if George has some flesh-eating bacteria. I'm sure the Saudi king is washing his hands just thinking about it.

The truth hurts-nobody wants to hold the hand of a big loser, especially a loser whose hands are dripping with so much blood. "

http://counterpunch.org/beattie03312007.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The Saudis want to be the regional power, they are jettisoning unwanted baggage. I would not be surprised if Abdullah initiated dialogue with Iran or the British.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi sam,

thank you for the article you have just posted.

i did actually read about this before, I think Abdullah is just distancing himself so he can be mates with the next president of the US. the house of Saud relies on US support to help it in its fight against its inner self.

the house of Saud would do anything to stay in power and avert civil war. Dialogue with britain, yes probably, with Iran, maybe but of-course they see Iran as a bigger threat than Israel.

Therefore he must be waiting for the next president so he can hold hands with him

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    take it ez
    zak

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't think that's it. More likely it is our support for the Shiites.

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

That is a good point. To twist the old phrase:

Friend (US) of my enemy (Shiites in Iraq) is my enemy.

9. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Spider and Billy,

even though you make valid points, i think there is more too it then this, which is why Bush is upping it against Iran Shiite influence in Iraq
    ~~~~~~~
    take it ez
    guys
    Zak

10. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Let us just say this:

The legitimacy of Saudi Arabia rests on whether she supports the United States. If she does not, she will be dealt with in time.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, Saudi Arabia can turn into another Iraq in no time, and the USA could do nothing about it.

SA has a very serious population problem. There are millions of youth and there are no jobs. Radicalism is on the rise, and having 6000 princes who gets most of the goodies sure doesn't help.

If there is a radical revolution against the king, oil $100+ here we go....

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Does this mean we can finally attack Saudi Arabia? The country that provides the vast majority of the financial support for all those terrorist training camps masquerading as schools, from Afghanistan to the Philippines? The country that supplied the organization, money, and most of the manpower for 9/11? The country whose people walk around shouting "Death to America?"

Osama is a somewhat disgraced in-law of the Saudi royal family. If we had threatened to bomb Riyadh instead of Kabul, his head would have been delivered to us on a sliver platter within 90 minutes. But we didn't, because oil is thicker than patriotism, especially in Texas, a state with the unique distinction of having seceded from two countries.

If there is one single thing that justifies hating King George II with an unbridled passion, it is his whitewashing of Saudi Arabia, America's worst enemy.

13. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

I'm inclined to think that the Family Saud is using the US as a convenient rhetorical foil. A tool for rallying their fellow Sunni Arabs to a do-or-die political competition with Persian, Shia Iran for regional power bragging rights.

Who's to say that the US isn't feeding Family Saud its desired talking points?

14. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Who'd have thought that the local Soldiers of Nuance never actually consider all the permutations of game-playing possibility?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!