age of universe

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by b_o3, Apr 4, 2007.

1. b_o3 Registered Member

Hi i am confused as to how to calculate the age of the universe with redshift
    say for example

The age of the universe now is 13.4 billion years old (and a critical universe).
    How do i find the age of the universe if it was a redshift at say 0.6??

Do i have to find the scale factor first?
    I am not very sure, please help!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Well i have misplaced my memory on the red shift approach, but it remains that the universe that we know must be as old as the light that we see, or i should say the distance of star light that we can see, astronomers declare that they can see as far as 13 to 20 billion light years. this it appears to mean that the universe is twice that age as light must be inducted from that distance, so induction must travel that far(20 billion LY) and then the light must travel 20 billion LY to the point of induction where we see it.

And so it seems that the universe is 40 billion years old, if the speed of induction is the same as the speed of light.

In general this more a date for the age of the earth, or our solar body the sun, wherein induction to are earth and sun started. so actually the universe in its absolute may be much older if not as old as infinity.

Well this may not awnser the question on redshift,but it allows another way
    of dating, call it light dateing (like carbon dating)

DwayneD.L.Rabon

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.