Element collection + fire = ???

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Positron, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

So I have an element collection which I take to school often for a teching opportunity about chemistry and I was wondering what might happen if we have a fire and I leave it there. Basically, name an element that isn't valuable or radioactive and I have it in there. Including gases. I keep all my heavy metals at home except a bit of mercury sealed in a glass tube which is in acetone which is in another glas vial. any ideas on which ones could be dangerous?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

chlorine when combined with carbon dioxde will produce phosgen. AKA zyklon-b.
    very deadly.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If they are small quantities, I don't see any danger. The mercury could vaporize, but I assume most people would get out of the building by then.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

yes, I was most worried about the mercury. but if the school i burning down anyway. proobally wouldn't be to bad. I'll probobally just take the case with me.

8. Zardozi Isvara.... . 1S Evil_Lau Registered Senior Member

This is my Element collection and my method of obtaining it as part of my world domnation conspiracy Book:

The AR DAta Uplink;

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

Hydrogen gas is flamable. so is oxygen. If you mix them with carbon and flame something might happen :-/

10. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

Are you high? That's a videogame.

11. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

That looks like deus ex, but its different.

12. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Let me get this straight. You carry a collection of elements so that YOU CAN TEACH ABOUT THEM and you are asking us which ones are dangerous?

What is it that you do know about them and are therefore teaching? Are you explaining what color they are?

13. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I remember the first time I saw the colour of hydrogen.

14. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

Well, I was wondering if there was anything I wasnt thinking of. While I know a lot about them, I don't vecessarily memorize the dangerous combinations. I was just curious if anyone had any ideas or warnings. Better safe than sorry.
    You dont need to get angry.

15. Roman Banned Banned

All the stuff one step to the left of the noble gases is really horribly poisonous. Everything in the far left is extremely explosive when exposed to water.
    Some of the transitional elements will react exothermically with oxygen.

16. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

Good point. You shouldnt be teaching if you dont know chemical reactions, and the trends associated with the elements.

17. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

I don't mean to sound angry, but are you implying that I don't? I love chemistry, it's my future career. Why else would I have an element collection in the first place? I know all about elements. Combining alkali metals with water, the poisinous heavy metals, The all around dangerous halogens. The list goes on. I didnt make this thread for people to question other people's knowledge about chemistry. I was just making sure that there wasn't anything I was missing. Should I be so arrogant as to remain blind to a possible danger by thinking everything was safe?