China invading Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Syzygys, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

This is a hypothetical scenario so treat it as such...

Let's say the year is 2002 and China realises that they need WAY more oil, and Iraq seems to have quite a lot. So they decide to invade Iraq. To give the action a seemingly legal cover (aka bullshit), they say that Saddam looked nasty at Chinamen and made some derogatory remarks. Also some Iraqi spy met with anti-communists in Taiwan. Thus it is a danger to the existence of the Chinese people and government.
    Oh yes, and they tried to buy plutonium from Pakistan.

So China would invade Iraq. Since the US didn't invade Iraq for the OIL, the US shouldn't mind this (right??), because the Chinese would do our job, without wasting our money and soldiers. So the USA should be thankful for the Chinese government that they did this favour...

Am I right? Please say I am right!!!! :bugeye:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why only Iraq? The Chinese could have a terrorist attack in one of their cities, that would give them complete leeway to attack any and all Muslim countries they believe to be supporters of terrorism, including Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and of course, Saudi Arabia.

The US would definitely support a War on Terrorism, right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. otheadp Banned Banned

they teach you this in introductory managerial accounting and economics:

you look at the marginal cost and you look at the marginal benefit. if their sum is positive ==> go for it. if it's negative ==> don't go for it.

look how much money has been (and will be) spent in Iraq. how much pure profit (i.e. a coupla percent of Revenues) on oil will it take to repay that huge "investment" amount?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's not their MO. China is presently forging diplomatic ties with oil rich nations using the carrot instead of the stick.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You sure don't understand politics, which doesn't always equals economics.

What was the point of making 20K nuclear warheads, when 5K could cover Earth 20 times over? See? Economy isn't always the most important when it comes to policy.

But there is an easy answer from the economic point of view: The GOVERNMENT is spending the money, and PRIVATE companies are making the profits. See the difference?

Also, it is not just to have the oil, but DENYING it to others. That worths even more than just having it..

P.S.: So you don't object to China invading Iraq? After all, you just pointed out it is economically a losing game...