Cold war vs. war on terror

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Syzygys, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I would guess, most people would prefer the good ol' cold war, instead of today's war on terror, when casualties are real.

Sure, the cold war had the possibility of a full blown nuclear armageddon and it costed a lot, but at least airport security was nothing, and unless you wanted to visit Russia, it didn't effect your life much.

Pentagon officials today acknowledge that they much prefered the old atheist enemy. For an atheist, the threat of death is a deterrent. For an orthodox Muslim, that is martyrdom.

Who knew in 1990, that we will look back to the cold war years with fond memories?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. radicand Registered Senior Member

The war on terror is an extension or the actuation of the Cold War. And, it needs to be won for it to end.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, I don't agree. Terrorism is a tactic that directly affects most of the people in the world. The Cold War as a test of military and political power between two powerful nations.
    The Cold War didn't scare Joe South African in the least ...terrorism does.

The Cold War didn't really scare John Q. Public in the least ...but terrorism does.

Terrorism is, essentially, little more than vicious murders and horrendous damage ....but that it could and does strike anywhere and everywhere is a major problem. And I think terrorism has also made regular ol' criminals more aware that they have a damned good chance of getting way with their crimes. In the US, the cops catch less than 50% of the murderers, less than that of burglars and vandals.

No, we need the Cold War back, that's for sure! Better still would be to have another World War ...say, the Muslim nations of the world agaisnt the Western nations of the world. Pretty neat, huh?

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

You don't think that that's happening in Iraq right now?

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Correct, because as I just said it in another thread: there is no such a thing as "war on terror", it is a fight for empire....