Gel Candles

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by StefanIlarda, Mar 23, 2007.

1. StefanIlarda Registered Member

Gel Type Candle:

A candle where the primary fuel is a liquid such as mineral oil, terpene type chemicals, or modified hydrocarbons that are not mineral oil based which may or may not contain organic functional groups; it also contains a chemical agent to increase the viscosity (thicken) to a point where the candle has a quasi-rigid property.

(Extract from moyak(dot)com/researcher/lifestyles/candles(dot)html)

Does anyone know the answer to the following questions:

1. What kind of ‘terpene type’ chemicals can be used to make Gel candles ?
    2. Is Turpentine a type of ‘terpene chemical’ ?
    3. What kind of ‘modified hydrocarbons’ (not mineral oil based) can be used to make Gel candles ?
    4. What are organic functional groups & which ones can be used in making Gel Candles ?

Stef

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

1 Cembrene is a natural diterpene, can be used as your wax.
    2 Yes, Turpentine is a type of Terpene because its a multiple of (C5H8)n
    3 Parrafin, Microcrystalline waxes, Fischer-Tropsch waxes.
    4 Organic function groups are unique structural and chemical similarities in
    organic sustances that are responsible for characteristic traits. Alkyl, Esters, hydroxyl

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StefanIlarda Registered Member

Terpene

Thanks.

Is 'Cembrene' also combined with poly resin to make GEL WAX in the same way Mineral oil is mixed with resin?

Stef

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

I guess is yes. Resins are used for frangrance and solidification. Poly Resin, I'm refering and guessing as synthetic resin is used in commerce as hardeners. Resin is also used by sculptors. It would be a good way to harden the candle.

8. StefanIlarda Registered Member

Candles

Thanks.

Is Cembrene manufactured in the same way as Mineral oil ?

I mean to say - is it a natural prod. or is produced by mixing chemicals?

Stef.

9. StefanIlarda Registered Member

Thanks Chatha,

Seems you're familiar with Gel Candles. Is it true that Gel Candles made from Mineral Oil can become very hot ?

Stef

10. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Actually I am not familiar with gel candles, I mean I am not excatly in the business or practice of making them. Is Cembrene manufactured in the same way as Mineral oil ? Not sure. Is it true that Gel Candles made from Mineral Oil can become very hot ? Not sure, depends on the mineral oil.

11. dting dtong Registered Member

New here, but drawing a bit of memory from my chem classes to respond.

There are several types of mineral oils, light, white, and darker. They are all made with slightly different processes to refine them to a certain quality, and you would have to be more specific about the type of oil in question in order to compare it to the production method of Cembrene. Furthermore, from what I know, Cembrene is a completely chemically manufactured product, whereas mineral oil is not.

12. Roman Banned Banned

If you're wondering, you cannot dissolve gel candles in gasoline to make napalm. They don't dissolve.

13. dting dtong Registered Member

Who does that? Who sits down and reads a thread and assumes that is what is being discussed? And, if you're any sort of intelligent, you'd know that the composition of gel candles is not in any way conducive to making such an unstable mixture.

14. StefanIlarda Registered Member

QTN for CHATHA on GEL CANDLES

I've read somewhere a recipe for GEL CANDLE & I quote :

<< The compositions of the present invention include a liquid base material; at least one copolymer that includes at least one diblock, triblock, radial block and/or multiblock copolymer or combination thereof; and at least one derivative of an N-acyl amino acid. >>

Does anyone know the common name for 'copolymer' or 'multiblock copolymer' ?

Stef.