Governments: What they say vs. what they do

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Syzygys, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

One of the most useless thing is to listen to ANY politican talking. Really, what's the point? 99% is the chance he/she is lying, the other 1% is being mistaken.

The easiest way to evaluate/understand a politican/government is to watch what they do, instead of what they say. Here are a few samples, so just you get the drift, and draw your own conclusion:

1. They said: The Iraq war was about WMD or freedom.
    What happened: The new Iraqi oil law gives an unprecedented 75% of Iraqi oil to mostly American oilcompanies.

2. They said: The US is staying in Iraq temporarily only.
    What happened: Beside the surge, the building of the biggest American fortress (aka embassy) beside the dozen or so military bases all around Iraq.

3. They say: There is no peak oil, plenty of oil to go around.
    What happened: Halliburton moves its headquarters to Dubai, because that's where the the remaining oil is (Middle East), not much left in Texas.

4. They say: The US is in Afghanistan because of fighting terrorism.
    What happened: Afghanistan stroke a deal to build a $2bn pipeline through the country to take gas from energy-rich Turkmenistan to Pakistan and India. All along the line, American military bases...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Don't cloud the issue with facts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i didnt hear about any of this on FOXnews...so it cant be true.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

LOL!

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Syzygys,

It kind of makes one wonder if we are really in control of our own governments? Surely some of these people truly intend to make a positive change? I think the Clinton's had high hopes - initially.

I wonder - just how important is it to USA hegemony to control ME oil? When will we break our addiction?

9. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Voting is a form of control of government.

Getting elected is a form of control of government.

Whining is just a form of whining.

Whiners' total control of an achievable process.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Saying very important would be an understatement. Whoever controls energy, controls others....

We will break the addiction in the next 20 years, because of peak oil...

11. timmbuktwo Registered Senior Member

Syzygys , you would prefer the us stay out of the oil business and the citizens pay $10 a gallon? Would that make for a happier country?

Sometimes you have to say things that people don't want to hear or read, for the better of the society, although most wont get credit for many years untill after they are out of power.

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I would prefer if the US seriously would get into the alternate energy business, that would make for a happier country and less war...

After all, after the first drop of oil comes out of a reserve, we are depleting it...

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Agree. Check what Jimmy Carter tried to do back in the 70s. Making America energy independent. That was 30 years ago...

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure, but I think the US is a free-enterprise system of economy. To say "the US" should do something is rather silly, isn't it?
    Or are you suggesting or advocating that the US become a dictatorship and the government tell the industries of the nation what to do and when to do it?

Baron Max

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Since Baron is on Ignore, let me guess: he is bitching about Carter?

16. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Complaining with others is often the first public step towards action. Are my reactions real? Is what I perceive to be happening happening? Do others agree with me?

You get enough 'whining' as you call it and action naturally comes next. You think the serfs, the slaves on haiti, women without the vote, taxed americans without representation, and so on...you think these people didn't bitch adn whine first. One on one, then in small groups, and from there.

17. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Then when pressure comes from oil companies and arms manufacturers and companies like Haliburton for there to be a war that benefits these people, the government should not listen n'est pas?

Otherwise this is taxpayer money being used for certain industries and not for others.

There is no current neutrality upset by suggesting the governement support alternative energy research, etc.
    There is no such neutrality.
    But oddly, because we are used to it and because we are lied to about it adn the motives for certain things, some people think it is somehow neutral and then get upset when alternative non-neutralities are suggested.

Neutrality would be great. I actually agree with you. Not a dictatorship. Or oligarchy. That would be great.

But that would be new.

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Did you vote for Bush?

19. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

Of all people on this forum, why would you put Baron on ignore?

That said, I think Grantywanty's point overrides Baron's:
    Yes, it should remain a free-economy, but at the moment it isnt so.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

"Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. "

"In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia. "

"In our time political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. "

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. "

"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning. "

"War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they are going to profit from it. "

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. "

George Orwell

21. Singularity Banned Banned

Those in the government are not social workers nor they are there because they want to make the world a better place.

They are in power because they are good politician and like everyone else they do what everyone does , ie. to take care of themselves.