18000 Murders a year - Is this not a war zone?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JJ_Smithers, Mar 8, 2007.

1. JJ_Smithers Registered Member

African governments have warned South Africa that rampant violent crimes are threatening the stability of democracy. Despite reports by Police Commisioner Jakie Selebi that crime is no longer an issue in the country, there are still shocking statistics showing that more than 18 000 murders per year take place, most of which go unsolved. This is on top of other shocking statistics such as an estimated 126 000 hijackings and 132 000 rapes (46 000 of these being the rape of babies and young children) Considering the country has a population of 40 000 000, does 18000 murderers not make it a war zone?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, it's a war zone! But it's not nearly as interesting and sensational as the little conflict that's going on in Iraq.

No one really gives a shit about people getting killed or raped ...that's only a minor irritant that's not very newsworthy.

Now if you want the situation in South Africa to become world headline news, have the government there to invite a battalion of US soldiers there to ...ahh, "help keep the peace". Then and only then would it become a world-interested, newsworthy issue.

It seems that the world is really only interested in what America and Americans do .....mostly they don't give a fuck about any other situations, regardless of how deadly or nasty.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I'm convinced that the liberals want America to withdraw from Iraq so that when Civil War breaks out, they can blame the impending genocide on Bush.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

How do you define Civil War?

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I wonder how Americans and/or the world's people would respond if the American news media hammered the viewers about the crime in South Africa as much as they hammer us about the few deaths in Iraq?

My best guess, of course, is we'd mostly forget about Iraq and begin discussing South Africa ......and acting and claiming our horror and righteous indignation!

The news media simply leads us all around by the nose ....and those who don't believe that are pretty damned blind and stupid! Yes, that includes YOU!

Baron Max

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Straw.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yeah let's invade South Africa, that'll help.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Actually, Spider, it would help!! It would help because the media would then focus on the situation, which would bring South Africa the needed attention so that the world would get involved and, maybe, just maybe, even the fucked up UN would see the problems.

The news media controls it all ....make no mistake about it.

Baron Max

13. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

The problems in South Africa are so many that I doubt anything short of reinstituting Apartheid would solve anything. You can read about how almost everything but the weather there is screwed up at

http://southafricasucks.blogspot.com/

Here is the top story as I post this

David Bullard shot in violent house invasion

David Bullard, the disillusioned Sunday Times columnist whose brilliant screeds have been featured on this blog a number of times, was shot in an armed house invasion at his Johannesburg home last night. According to Bullard, he was shot for no reason at all, except that the black gunman "felt the whim" to pull the trigger. Thankfully, he is in a stable condition at the Milpark Trauma unit. We wish him a speedy recovery, and look forward to his future articles, which will doubtlessly become even more caustic after this traumatic episode.

"Don't wear your best jeans when being shot"

"Apart from having a bullet in me, I'm absolutely fabulous," said controversial news columnist David Bullard from his hospital bed on Thursday morning, hours after being shot during an armed robbery at his Parkview home. Bullard, of the Sunday Times, and his wife Jacquie, a journalist at the Financial Mail, were enjoying a glass of wine and some quiet reading time in the lounge together when two armed robbers barged into the room at about 7.15pm. "We were just sitting and talking. We’d switched the TV off, and I'd started reading something when these two guys just walked in from the bedroom area," Bullard said. 'I told them to F*** off, you’re not having anything’

"At that point Jacquie looked up and said 'Oh no, oh no, not us' or something like that. I just got really angry when they started demanding stuff, and told them 'F*** off, you’re not having anything'." But the couple's protests were ignored by the robbers, one of whom had a gun. They shouted that they were looking for firearms, which the Bullards don’t own, and demanded access to a safe. "I managed to get to the front door and hit the alarm, which I think messed things up for them a bit because the Chub guys arrived pretty quickly," said Bullard. Captain Cheryl Engelbrecht, police spokesperson for Johannesburg, said it was believed that the robbers had entered the Bullard home through the bedroom window. One had tried to force Jacquie to open the safe, leaving the other with Bullard.

During that time Bullard's wife heard a gunshot go off. "They (the robbers) were looking for a gun, and that was it. The guy who did have a gun decided to put a bullet in me. There was no real need to, he was just having a bit of fun," Bullard stated. The shot pierced his left arm and entered his abdomen. "I was absolutely covered in blood, and it made an amazing mess of the house," he said.

Bullard was rushed to Milpark Hospital, where he is currently lying in Trauma ICU. "I'm feeling stiff this morning, but I'm a very, very lucky guy. There’s been no real damage to the tendons or bone in my arm or my bowel. The bullet was just millimetres away from doing some very serious harm. It was obviously just not my time to go," said Bullard. "The robbers took only the wife's handbag and a cellphone. They fled the house through the bedroom window, in the same way they came in. They’re still on the run and we are hunting these suspects," Engelbrecht said on Thursday morning.

Bullard is outraged by the attack and keen for his shooting to be made public. "I'm alive, but (murdered historian) Dave Rattray's not so we need to highlight this kind of thing." Bullard said he had received "the most amazing" treatment from the Parkview police and excellent care in hospital. "All I want to say now is that you shouldn't wear your very best jeans if you're going to get shot because they just get cut off you. Yes, if you're going to get shot in the northern suburbs, I'd advise wearing some really casual clothes." Netcare Milpark Hospital spokesperson Amelda Swartz said Bullard would not undergo surgery to have his bullet removed. "He would probably be transferred to a normal ward during the day and then discharged in a day or two, as soon as his doctors say it's okay."

# posted by The Uhuru Guru @ 7:36 AM 11 comments

14. Genji Registered Senior Member

"When" civil war breaks out? Iraq is engulfed in civil war right now. You know, the Shia vs Sunni thang?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. timmbuktwo Registered Senior Member

It's a war zone that unfortunately has no real assets for any first world country to care / want . At the end of the day, you only conquer or intervene somewhere where there is a potential return on investment. Unfortunately for Africa, the southern regions anyways, not much there. It's sad, but that is how politics seem to work.

And Genj, i think they are having a big debate over "civil war" on another forum. Good luck trying to figure much out with it!!!

16. JJ_Smithers Registered Member

We've got the majority of the worlds gold and a good portion of the diamonds, dont you guys want a piece of that?

17. Tripo lee Registered Member

conflicts of races, religions, ethnic groups keeps us all on our toes, somehow it effects us all.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

How? And why?

Until this original post, most of the people here probably didn't even know about all the killing and rapes and crime and deaths.

The entire continent of Africa could sink into the ocean and most of us wouldn't even be affected in the slightest ....and if the news didn't tell us, we could all go for years and not even know that Africa was gone!!

For all those who proclaim great compassion and caring and love, it's mostly just hot air and liberal doo-gooder bullshit. Anyone can SAY they care, but if all those who made that claim DID care, then we wouldn't have so much conflict and death in the world, would we? Think about it, other than me, do you know anyone else who says that they don't care?? So ....how many people is that over the whole lying fuckin' world?

Baron Max

19. Tripo lee Registered Member

You have a point about the world not giving a dime about Africa, look at Africa's Sudan & Chad, millions are effected and (apart of Christian & Jewish activists in the US) all the UN does is lame words.

20. orcot Valued Senior Member

I believe the US has something like 16,528 murders per year.
    numbres from 2004

canada had 650 in 2006

21. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

The state of Texas is larger than South Africa.

22. orcot Valued Senior Member

23. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member