Angry Father and Presidential Candidate vs. Free Speech..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bells, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Bells Staff Member

This raises an interesting point.

As a father, he has every right to be angry. Who wouldn't be? Imagine having photos of your daughters appearing on a paedophile's website and literally being rated on their cuteness? Horrible thought and not one parents wish to contemplate.

So is he a bad Presidential candidate for wanting to make the paedophile pay and have the images taken down therefore trying to stifle free speech? Or is he being a protective parent?

Tricky issue.

A father's wish to protect his daughters against a paedophile's right to free speech. This could go either way for Obama. Parents would understand his desire to protect his daughters from paedophiles. But free speech is such an inherent right in the US. What a dilema.

It is enough to make the skin crawl.

Now this is a man who is a self professed and confessed paedophile. One would assume his website would be frequented by other paedophiles? However, he is allowed to post these images because he is careful enough to not say that these girls should be sought out or somehow found. He is clever in his wording.

Scary thought isn't it?

And he is correct. He does have a right to post the images of these children online and comment on their "beauty". Obama reacted as a parent first and a candidate secondly it seems. Some might fault him for it, but others will commend him. After all, what he should consider most precious in the world are his children. It is understandable that he would want these images taken down.

It would appear that free speech does have its draw backs at times...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think that's a damned good example of the "Freedoms of Society" being abused by the "Freedoms of the Individual".

And if you think those freedoms are the same, you should think again, very seriously ....they are NOT the same. The members of a society can not be free, can not function, without controlling and limiting the freedom of the individual. And the individual can not survive without society. Modern society is struggling with this very dilemma on many fronts.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

I guess the question that needs to be asked is whether Obama should have a right to legally demand those images of his daughters and any reference to them be removed from this man's website?

Or should the self confessed paedophile have the legal right to have the images there and the comments he has made about them and others?

Should Obama be judged badly for reacting as he has done?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

In the USA, almost anyone can take anyone else to court ...for almost anything! The problem, of course, is one of interpretation of the laws ...and I know of no specific law which states that someone can't have pictures on a website. If there were such a law, the celebrities would rejoice, wouldn't they?

Really, Bells, I just have to ask ....what the hell is a "self-confessed paedophile"?? I.e., one can't actually BE a paedophile unless he's been convicted of it, right? Isn't that something like me claiming to be a "self-confessed murderer" because I keep saying that I want all humans dead and gone from the Earth?

Well, what does this say about his ability to lead a great and powerful nation like the USA? I mean, what would he do if the Muslims put up such pictures of his daughters on some vile, terrorist-linked website making all kinds of vile claims about her? Would he send in the troops, and drop 468,231 nuclear bombs on something or someone? I can hope, of course, but my guess is y'all wouldn't like a president who'd react in such a way.

Don't we hope, dream, wish, that our leaders are above such "human" reactions and emotional outbursts?

Baron Max

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Seriously, taking an image of a child and using it in sexually explicit manner is an invasion of that child's right to privacy - could endanger the child, and is as good enough a reason to get your arse kicked as I can think of. If I had a daughter I'd have to kick this mans arse.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, I agree, Michael, but would you want that kind of man as the leader of the most powerful nation on Earth??? ...one who can't control his temper or his emotions?

Baron Max

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Oooh you mean Bush Jr

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

and his master Cheney

Yes Cheney's insatiable love of the dead, while nice in poetry ala Living Dead Girl, sure does suck here in the Real World ala Iraq.

Anyway, I'd still beat that sick f*ckers arse into the ground if it were my daughter's pictures on the web, no questions asked.

Michael

11. Bells Staff Member

The same could be asked if you would want a leader who did not care if his daughters images were placed on such a website? It's a catch 22 isn't it. Should he be seen to be a bad presidential candidate for being human and would he be seen as one? Or would he be seen to be a bad presidential candidate if he was cold and callous and did not seem to care.

I just think it raises an interesting point. Where should the father end and the President begin and vice versa? Should he stop being a caring father if he becomes President?

Had this man said that he wanted to touch or molest these girls or encouraged others to try to find them, then he would have committed a crime.

Gee.. What is a self confessed paedophile? Could it be someone who says outright that he/she likes little children and sees them as a sexual object and is sexually attracted to them?

A conviction has nothing to do with it. It is a term used to describe adults who like kiddies in that 'special' way.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That's the thing isn't it.

He is not advocating violence towards this individual. He is just seeking legal action to have the images and the 'rating' of his daughters removed from the website. I don't think any parent could fault him for his reaction. I can tell you now if it were me I would have torn the bastard's legs off and damn the election. But that's just me.

As it stands now, civil liberties lawyers in the US are not happy that he is trying to have these images removed. So his acting like a good parent now makes him a bad Presidential candidate for many. I just think it is quite interesting. Must be hard, but he cares for his kids and he acted as a caring parent. You can't fault him for that. Remains to be seen what will happen.

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I can recall the sexually loaded attention focused on Clinton's kid during his first campaign, by guys like Rush Limbaugh and others - nothing he could really do. W's family has been treated with more courtesy, at least until they started doing things that got them evicted from whole countries as well as bars.

If I were the local DA, I'd just monitor the site until a terroristic threat appears.